Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Baker DD6  (Read 11909 times)

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Baker DD6
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2011, 05:33:00 PM »

Welp, I told Burt what I was running, and asked if I need to go with the OD6 and he said no, just go with the DD6 kit and I'll be set. He never brought up anything else. Not much I can do about it now, as it took 2 weeks just to get this opening.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2011, 08:12:49 PM »

Magoo.  Not to worry.  The DD6 is a great unit and you will love it.   I do 70 at 2500 and 80 at 3000.   My exhaust is just right and I gear my stereo at half volume.   I do have an amp tho.   Shhhh... Will make you feel you are on a new bike.   Don't forget, you will have to program your speedometer.   That pc comes with the kit I think and stays on the bike in the side cover.   It's fun setting it too.   let us know what you think once it installed.   :2vrolijk_21:

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2011, 10:46:31 AM »

I trying to reach the Baker techs this morning to discuss the HT Bearing and Spacer concern.

I did do some searches last night and found this link that seems to suggest that at least the HT Bearings come with the Builders Kit, so I might be set.

http://www.bikernet.com/pages/story_detail.aspx?id=6765

However, I'm trying to confirm this is indeed the case. If not, I'll see if they can overnight the parts. Nothing like a last minute panic attack!   :orange:

Thanks for the heads up Matt!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 11:04:36 AM by mrmagloo »

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2011, 11:06:35 AM »

While you are doing the upgrade, add the Baker high torque bearing kit
http://store.bakerdrivetrain.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=189-56&type=4

and the Baker spacer
http://store.bakerdrivetrain.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=33344-94S&type=0&eq=&key=it

I would highly recommend you do this, put the instal off.

1st gear stop-Yes-can't go lower, you know when you hit first.
6th gear stop-No
Capacity = 23oz
DD6 comes with a bottle of Red Line Shock Proof.  Now recommended by Baker.

1st gear yes
6th gear yes

Kit comes with whomever Baker feels like promoting at the time. Mine came with BelRay. Red Line in it now.

I am happy with mine, but doubt I would do it again. I'm sure whatever bike I buy next will already have a 6 speed.

The nice thing about eh DD6 is you can order it with an optional 1st or leave it and just fine tune with a comp sprocket.

Stock the trans offers about a 400 RPM drop at 70 mph.

I changed the comp sprocket to one less tooth (Baker item, $150). I am now about 200 RPMs down at 70 over stock.
But my entire gear range is down a bit so the bike seems a bit more "lively". And it puts me at a good RPM at 70 for cruising.

And with the Baker - if you sell the bike or don't like it you can easily revert to the stock gear set. Can't do that with the SE kit without replacing the trans case.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2011, 11:08:09 AM »

You might have seen somewhere that 1st gear can be picky - that is typically an adjustment issue.

I did my adjustment by the book, had my issues, tweaked it a bit and now it is fine.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2011, 11:58:40 AM »

Thanks Duane,

Well, I found that I had to special order the HT Bearing, Spacer, and the Recalibration box too. not sure how that was missed, but it's going overnight, so it'll all be there by noon tomorrow, so I'm set.

I went with the stock 1st gear and compensation ratio, as I was primarily interested in the ~400 rpm drop in 6th. 1st - 5th, will be the same, which is fine with me. I'm pushing 102HP/112TQ so it's got enough oomph with the stock ratio's, so no need to swap to the 27, imo.

I hope everything goes smoothly tomorrow! Bad thing is, it's supposed to rain cats and dogs, so I'll be a little moist on the maiden voyage. Sacrifices we must make...

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2011, 09:42:33 PM »

My question of the day is,,, what are you guys using for gear oil in your DD6?   I'm need to add, change , what's the best choice?    Thanks. 

mattm

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2011, 10:11:31 PM »

Redline shockproof, which I think is what Baker recommends now.

hogasm

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2011, 06:54:31 AM »

Redline shockproof, which I think is what Baker recommends now.

Guess it is whoever Baker is getting the better deal from as to what oil comes with their kits

Mine came with Amsoil 75-140 back in 05........and i do not recommend it....a 6 speed upgrade...waste of money

Porthole's came with BelRay

and now Redline :nixweiss:

who next week :huepfenlol2:

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2011, 07:30:47 AM »

Mine came with Amsoil 75-140 back in 05........and i do not recommend it....a 6 speed upgrade...waste of money

So.......you're saying the 6 speed upgrade is......a waste of money?  The 400rpm's that you drop your crusin' speed is just not worth it or why?  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2011, 09:55:17 AM »

Guess it is whoever Baker is getting the better deal from as to what oil comes with their kits

Porthole's came with BelRay

and now Redline :nixweiss:

who next week :huepfenlol2:

I had a 2003 SERK I bought new with the standard H-D five speed trans in it. I totaled that bike and replaced it with a used 03 SERK that the previous owner had installed a Baker DD6 in. To say there was no comparison would be an understatement. The DD6 complimented the slightly massaged 103 CVO motor perfectly. That motorcycle did everything I wanted it to. I now have an 2007 Road Glide with the standard H-D Cruise Glide 6 speed trans. It is cheap junk compared to the Baker DD6. About the only good thing I can say is that 6th gear at 75 mph produces good mpg.

So there you have two opinons 180 degrees from each other. I have never understood what Brian's issues with the DD6 are/were except that I always had the feeling somebody somewhere had not gotten the orginal install correct and he paid the price over time with other issues. OR, perhaps I am not sure what he wanted out of it. For me, riding my 03 SERK with the DD6, it felt as though I was always able to find the exact correct gear for every riding situation. I never felt like I should be one gear higher or one gear lower or somewhere in the middle. The trans shifted positively, I never had any issues with gear jam or anything like it. The only issue with the Baker is that for whatever reason they wear out the big bearings on the main shaft and counter shaft. I think I got 20,000 miles out of the orginals. I believe Brian's experince was quite a bit worse. So that's the downside. Having said that, Baker makes a variety of 6 speeds. You can buy a Baker six speed with over drive vice the direct drive of the DD6. What's the difference ? Direct Drive is 1/1 in 6th gear. Overdrive is .86/1 or some other number that represents the final drive sprocket turning more than one revolution for each revolution of the engine. And of course then there's the Baker seven speed which I don't have a clue about but seems like there must be an awful lot of shifting invovled with seven gears.

B B

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2011, 12:40:17 PM »

Regarding the gear oil, I always use Mobil1 on everything (easy to source locally), and seeing Mobil1 wasn't listing on their recommendation sheet, and seeing some references to certain types will corrode any brass present, I called Baker to get their advice. I was told that Mobil1 is perfectly fine, that the 75w90 or 75w140 is great stuff to use, and I went with the later.

That said, 5,000 miles later, I'm loving the trans. That extra 400 drop on top is the bomb. The ratios are well situated for my warmed over 103, and a cruise at 75mph is perfect.

That said, the only thing I have noticed is, you can't pussy-foot the shift or it will grind lightly a bit.  The stocker seemed to 'suck' the shift in if you went a little light with the shift, but the Baker doesn't. If you hear the grind, it'll revert back to the last gear and you have to try again. I'm not sure why that is, but it only happens when I'm not paying attention.

hogasm

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2011, 06:19:56 PM »

I have never understood what Brian's issues with the DD6 are/were except that I always had the feeling somebody somewhere had not gotten the orginal install correct and he paid the price over time with other issues. OR, perhaps I am not sure what he wanted out of it.

B B

BB I finally had a little quirk with the DD6 starting last week. Removed the side cover and the c-clip on the trap door had broken causing the gears to slide and not allow 1 and 2 to work properly. It would jump from 1st to 2nd without me shifting. No biggie, and this was after 55k miles

What I have seen around here is that many riders want a 6th gear to lower the engine rpm's while cruising. Problem is is that they are riding at such low rpms that they are beating the piss out of the crank and then blame someone or something else for this. The money one will save by installing will never be recouped during the life of the bike. At $4 gallon and a price of 2K for the gearset it will take 200K miles to break even......but how many cranks will that person go through to get to 200K miles :nixweiss:

Most will sell the bike way before 200K miles so it is just like pissing good money away. Why do you think the EVO motor with a 5 speed lasted so well after so many miles......the motor was run in the torque of the motor and not lugged.

Yes I fell for the 6 speed have to have mentality back in 04. Won't waste good money again on one :coolblue:

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2011, 05:18:11 PM »

Firstly, I agree that if someone is lugging the engine, they are doing a tremendous amount of harm.  That said, while I also agree that from a purely ROI basis, you'll never come out ahead with this 'investment', the fact is, buying a CVO in the firstly place is probably worse, if you're playing bean counter!

I mean, I knew upfront that if I happened to get any better mpg out of the swap, it would be minimal, but the real value comes in with the comfort level that 400 rpm drop brings. With the 5 speed at 75 mph, I was running around 3200, which is very buzzy, and when you're doing a long run - say 920 going to Sturgis, that same speed at just under 2800 rpm makes a world of difference. It's quieter, smoother, and makes the ride enormously more enjoyable. That alone is worth the price of admission.  Seeing Harley finally came to the plate thanks to Burt, this is a non-issue for the newer bikes, but seeing I plan to keep mine until I croak, why not?

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2011, 09:50:09 PM »

Sounds as if the Bakers don't have the longevity that the harley units have.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 21 queries.