Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Helmet -- oh no....  (Read 2270 times)

Gearheadfmc

• Full CVO Member
Helmet -- oh no....
« on: March 29, 2011, 12:00:11 AM »

Well...... am I crazy or ?

Been ridin' for +30 yrs.....   First 20+ wearing a full face helmet -- Japanese bikes, etc.  The last 9 years, been riding Harley.  I switched to a half-helmet when I switched rides.  It took a bit of time to get comfortable in the helmet change.

Riding a SE-6 Ultra.

Now time for a helmet.  I purchased a Shoei RF1100.

So.... anyone do something as insane....or is it?  Is it a mistake..... or is it? 

Seems like it will take some time to get "comfortable" with much less vision and more heat.

duranh

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE
    • Random photos
Re: Helmet -- oh no....
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 12:24:58 AM »

hard to get air in the helmet on an Ultra with a full wind screen. Let it break in a little, I have one and love it. It will take some getting used to but well worth it.

Cowboy2

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 01:57:08 AM »

Well done, riding almost 40 years...
I am leaning on 60, and just bought my first full face, an R-1100...  You use the vents, I run with sunglasses and shield up except in the rain...  You will get used to it.  If anything, now it gives me a snug home feeling, snug fit against my jaw, and becomes one with my head. 

Mine is black, here in summer in Australia gets over 100 degrees, and not a drama.  If anything, you gain a little flexibility as the only action is to "Head Check" you gain that look over your shoulder extension and it seems to improve your stretch.  It is the only F/F that fit so well.  You did the smart thing there, not an extreme, a very good move.  Congratulations...

From the Pros stand, Shoei is near or at Number One in the world... I am going to look at the new HD F/F that is talked about in the F/F topic, for better Blue Tooth and communications if it is set up for it for my new CVO 11.5 BIG BLUE coming in July to Oz..  But you have done a very good thing there. 

If you break a leg, there is always a Trike.
Breaking your head, ends joy on a bike...

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 09:06:03 AM »

I think the only crazy thing was when you abandoned the full face for the "beanie" style when you switched to Harley's.  Don't feel bad though, there are lots of folks who either did the same thing or abandoned helmets altogether because of the "look" and "image" associated with H-D riders.  Too much worrying about looking cool, and not enough about safety, IMHO.

Anywho, the Shoei is an excellent choice, and I don't notice a significant reduction in vision.  Much of that is more a perception rather than measured difference, and tends to become a non-factor as you get used to the full face again.  Some brands do have a smaller view port, but the Shoei isn't one of them.  If you feel a little claustrophobic, try riding with the shield open one or two clicks.  I normally ride with the shield open by one click, except when it's very cold or very wet out.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

michaelbmenaker

• Elite CVO Member
  • Ride hard, ride safe!
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 01:09:19 PM »

Did you try the Shoei Qwest? There new "street/touring" helmet?

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 03:01:04 PM »

Interesting how our perspective changes with age er I mean wisdom.

I rode since the early 70s without a helmet of any kind and often under the influence (alcohol, drugs, women.....insert appropriate word).  Eventually Calif. adopted the helmet law and I wore the bare minimum pope's cap helmet for years.  Then I did a face plant into the back of a van in San Francisco and among many other injuries....a shattered jaw.

All of a sudden I was willing to look at the flip face helmets and got the Nolan.  Fast forward to my wife's accident a few years later.  It was during the Easyriders bike show here....the Nor Cal group was here and we were all running around in the evening....after two years of trying to talk her into a full face helmet, she finally agreed (only because it was supposed to rain that night).  That evening the front wheel of her dyna got hung up in some railroad tracks that run paralell down the street and she went down.

She took an ambulance ride.  When I got there I asked her "did you hit your head on the ground?".  She said "No, I don't think so".  The next morning I took her home and went back down town to the motel where we were all staying to get our things.  Looked at her helmet, the left forehead area of the helmet and the face shield had huge road rash where she'd slid face down on the asphalt.  Took the helmet home and showed it to her and told her "this would have been your face if you'd had that beanie helmet on.

A couple of years later we rode to Sturgis.  Left the B&B where we were staying without helmets.  A couple miles down the road we stop at a light and look at each other.....she says "I feel naked without my helmet"....I said "me too" and we made a u-turn and went to get our helmets.  The last time we've rode without them.

Since then, I've learned that they're actually cooler in the triple digits than no helmet or a beanie that doesn't have vents.......and, they're much warmer in the winter.......and my melon stays dry when it's pouring a monsoon! :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 04:41:07 PM »

Well...... am I crazy or ?

Been ridin' for +30 yrs.....   First 20+ wearing a full face helmet -- Japanese bikes, etc.  The last 9 years, been riding Harley.  I switched to a half-helmet when I switched rides.  It took a bit of time to get comfortable in the helmet change.

Riding a SE-6 Ultra.

Now time for a helmet.  I purchased a Shoei RF1100.

So.... anyone do something as insane....or is it?  Is it a mistake..... or is it? 

Seems like it will take some time to get "comfortable" with much less vision and more heat.

I've been riding for 45+ years and my use of helmets is the exact opposite of yours.  First 42 years I either used 1/2 or 3/4 helmets.  Bought a Harley full face about 3 years ago and hated it.  Just didn't fit properly.  I went back to a 3/4 and about two years ago I bought my wife and I Shoei Multitec modular helmets.  Best fitting and most comfortable helmet I've ever had!  We also ride in 100+ temps so the modular helmet works for us.  It's nice to be able to flip up the front of the helmet when you roll up to a stop!

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

Gearheadfmc

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 01:46:50 AM »

Well, after trying the Shoei RF1100 and then the Arai RQ-something or other...... Now the Shoei Qwest...

RF is not for touring -- wish the sale person said that!  You have to lean your head down to catch any air for venting.  The Arai is not bad.... very light, but a little to small in shape.  The Qwest is a good fit, catches enough air and is not too bad.

I think the Qwat will win this test....!

Good thing I have CycleGear here where you get a 7 day exchange test.

michaelbmenaker

• Elite CVO Member
  • Ride hard, ride safe!
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 09:04:56 AM »

Arai and Shoei are the most respected brands out there. But, each fits different heads.
Where are you getting a 7-Day exchange? That's a fabulous deal.

Gearheadfmc

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 01:53:48 AM »

Arai and Shoei are the most respected brands out there. But, each fits different heads.
Where are you getting a 7-Day exchange? That's a fabulous deal.

CycleGear here in San Diego.  Got a great discount and satisfaction. Can't really complain...with that deal.  Morgan -- store manager at the Kearny Mesa store -- made it a point to have happy customers!

Onewheat

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 11:32:06 PM »

The same picture I put in the FF topic.  The Cycle Gear here is great too.  They ask that you don't go riding with the helmet for the test period (but know you will).  If you don't like it, bring it back clean like you bought it and you can return/exchange it.  I always wear a new helmet to watch a movie in or something to see how comfy it is for a few hour wear, before I make up my mind.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 11:35:10 PM by Onewheat »

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 22 queries.