Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Brimbo Brakes  (Read 1719 times)

indcoltz

• Full CVO Member
Brimbo Brakes
« on: June 27, 2010, 06:35:07 PM »

For those of us that were not aware, the newer Brimbo Brakes use a different pad. The pad does not have the same thickness as the older models. There for the pads look like they are worn out or needing to be replaced. If you compare your used pads to a new set you will see what my Harley tech had shown me. People are replacing these pads prematurely because they are comparing them to the older style. Do yourself a big favor and compare you will be surprised. The tech advised me of this and stated the dealer isn't saying anything unless the customer brings it up. Just another way to stick it to the consumer.

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
Re: Brimbo Brakes
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 09:25:09 AM »

I wonder if BREMBO  changed the compound?
CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 02:09:55 PM »

Maybe I'm just reading this wrong, but even if the pads start out thinner than before, why would that make people change them prematurely?  When you measure pad thickness to determine when to change them, you measure how much friction material is remaining, not how much you wore off from the starting thickness.  BTW, the minimum thickness of the friction material is specified as .040" from the backing plate by H-D ( I prefer .060" or 1/16").  If someone decides to change them at .125", that's his decision but I don't think anyone can blame the pad manufacturer for that.

If the complaint is that the thinner friction material reduces the life of the pads and thus increases the owner's cost per mile for brake repairs, that might be true assuming the new pads wear at the same rate as the old pads.  It would be interesting to hear from H-D if there was an intentional change to the pad thickness, and if there was a change to the compound.  Of course, it would also be interesting to know if those pads the service guy showed you are really genuine Brembo pads.  The way things have been going with H-D, they might be a Chinese knock-off.

Here's how you fix the problem.  Buy yourself 3 sets of Lyndall Z+ pads, one for each caliper.  Problem solved.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

indcoltz

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 10:19:52 AM »

Most people just do a visual on there brake pads and when they think they are getting a little thin they replace them. What the tech advised me is, that the brembos do have a different compound and will wear just as long as the old style. I know I looked at mine with just 16000 miles on them and thought they were ready to be replaced. After removing them and comparing them to a new set they were not really worn that bad. Could have gotten several more miles out of them. The tech advised me that this is a common thing with customers. They are looking at them and comparing them to what they used to see and are assuming they are just about worn out, so some dealers replaces them without advising you of the difference.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 04:15:29 PM »

Usually when the thickness of the friction material is equal or less than the thickness off the metal backing on any of the the front or any of the rear, I replace them.   I get concerned about how far the pistons are sticking out. Same with cars.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 02:50:46 PM »

Today the dealer gave me replacement pads for the front rotors. One is an 41854-08 and the other and 41852-08A. The 08A has shims that are there for noise. Is this set normally used on the rear? Other then the shims the pads are the same.
Bill

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 03:57:57 PM »

Usually when the thickness of the friction material is equal or less than the thickness off the metal backing on any of the the front or any of the rear, I replace them.   I get concerned about how far the pistons are sticking out. Same with cars.

If that's used as a visual gauge you won't have any pad life at all.  Here's a brand new set of Lyndall Z pads installed in a set of calipers. 

Only way to know if pads are shot is to measure (eyeball or otherwise) what's left versus spec for the pad.  Comparison against other pads or visual cues isn't saying anything that actually matters much.

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 22 queries.