Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Boulder in the Primary, normal?  (Read 4370 times)

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
Re: Boulder in the Primary, normal?
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2011, 11:08:33 AM »

I went back and read somw other threads and based in the information gleened I would recommend you have the entire primary parts removed and inspected for the issues above AND the clutch basket, bearings, auto primary chain adjuster and chain. 

It would take at most 30 minutes more to be sure everything is installed properly and absolutely nothing is damaged in the primary area.

They could assign another experienced mechanic (2nd set of eyes) at the PHD level to be sure all is well.

To me it's good customer relations and just may ensure that the issues is resolved permanently.

Best Wishes

Jerry

smkblwr

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2018 RGU
    • CVO2: 2018 FreeWheeler
    • CVO3: 2007 VRSCX Vrod #328
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2011, 09:30:03 PM »

ok guys, Yes motor was replace with non HD parts didn't  see putting defective parts back in a already defective engine. So the engine is nolonger HD. The "clank" started after 700 miles of break-in after the new motor was built, never above 3k rpms, did pretty much the original break-in procedure, hopefully going on the DYNO to get a full tune with in the next 2weeks. So I went to check on things, the owner was waiting for me. There senior Tech went into it today along with the tech that reassembled it. then they got the owner involve. They checked everthing, also compaired my compensator to a new compensator. everthing checked out. after looking at it the owner said he was suprised that it just started making noise being the way it all fits together and how the design is of the internals is, he said it looks like it should have done it from the beginning. He wants to make it right. So they are taking it upon themselves to try different things. For now they have installed a stiffer spring to help take up some of the designed slack, not exactly sure what they did but. If that doesn't work he will look at possibly trying to manufacture a different bushing. Idleing in the shop after a test ride it was not "clacking". he did say that HD has a technial name for it which means that they know its an issue but are not ready to fix it basiclly. I also explained the problems from day one that i have had with it, crappy clear coat"still in a problem", the many and extended times in the shop for repairs. I told him that i was already looking at open primarys, and a baker 7spd because i beleave that those are the last of the mechanical parts that HD can't fix and will fail, and i count the noise as a failure waiting the happen, after which i was gonna peal the harley stickers off and make my own to replace them. He want to talk about those problems next week. which is ok with me. due to weather i will not pick it up till saturday in time for a New rider ride that i am helping the dealership with. so we will see if it is quite or if i get to answer question from new owers of why is you bike making that sound. should be interesting. For now i am calm, not happy but just calm about it. we will see. thanks for the replies
2018 RGU.
2018 FreeWheeler "Wifes"
2007 V&H PRO Stock Tribute #328 VRod
IBA Member 45500

robertg

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2011, 10:43:12 PM »

Had the same type noise in my primary on the 09 SERG and the SE compensator cured the noise along with Formula+ as lube, 3000 miles and still quiet.   Doc
What is Formula+ as lube? I googled it but didn't get anything.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2011, 07:01:04 AM »

What is Formula+ as lube? I googled it but didn't get anything.
FORMULA+ Transmission and Primary Chaincase Lubricant

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2011, 07:00:37 PM »

It's good to know that when I get real stupid and senile and the FAA suspends my airframe & powerplant license where I can no longer maintain aircraft, I will at least be able to get a mechanic's job at a H-D dealership!
Jesus is Lord

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2011, 10:38:53 AM »

I'll admit up front that I'm too lazy to go out in the garage and look in my '08 SE manual to find out the answer to the question I'm going to ask below.  But this might be a good place to have it "written" in black and white versus just being in the manual for anyone that has a manual.

Just a quick question.

Is there a tool that locks into the teeth on the compensator to hold it while torquing, or is there something that connects to the clutch basket and you use the chain and clutch basket to hold the compensator while torquing?

Many years ago while working on snowmobiles, in similar cases like this, the factory just said to put a brass drift between the chain and sprocket to "lock" up the rotation of a shaft while you do your tightening or loosening of a particular part.

Thanks.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2011, 01:37:31 PM »

I'll admit up front that I'm too lazy to go out in the garage and look in my '08 SE manual to find out the answer to the question I'm going to ask below.  But this might be a good place to have it "written" in black and white versus just being in the manual for anyone that has a manual.

Just a quick question.

Is there a tool that locks into the teeth on the compensator to hold it while torquing, or is there something that connects to the clutch basket and you use the chain and clutch basket to hold the compensator while torquing?

Many years ago while working on snowmobiles, in similar cases like this, the factory just said to put a brass drift between the chain and sprocket to "lock" up the rotation of a shaft while you do your tightening or loosening of a particular part.

Thanks.

Yes...   :)
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2011, 01:39:36 PM »

You can find a locking tool here...

http://georges-garage.com/trans_06_up.htm

:2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2011, 07:04:19 PM »

With the SE compensator you don't need the locking tool as the outer compensator has a big nut on it that you can easily use a cresent wrench on while torqueing the bolt to keep everything from turning.

gmills

• Full CVO Member
  • from the new jersey shore
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2011, 08:13:38 PM »

had a lot of noise in the primary and dealer said normal, had the factory rep ride the bike and they replaced the compensator with the screamin eagle one and all is well now
moose aka glenn at the New Jersey Shore
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 23 queries.