Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Let's talk about the gas guage.  (Read 2171 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Let's talk about the gas guage.
« on: May 23, 2004, 03:39:48 PM »

On my bike, my guage stays on the full mark until I have about 70 miles on it.  At 95 miles I'm showing half a tank and at empty (the low fuel warning light comes on, on the dash) I'm usually between 124 and 129 depending on how I've been riding.  I rode from Sacramento to Lodi yesterday......I-5 all the way, at 85-95 miles an hour.

I had simular mis-readings on both of my Ultra Classics however, they didn't seem to be as far off as this bike.  

Do you guys find similar readings on you gas guage?   [smiley=nixweiss.gif]  Inquiring minds want to know [smiley=thinking.gif]
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

jay

• Junior CVO Member
  • flhtcse b&b
Re: Let's talk about the gas guage.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2004, 07:23:10 PM »

My gas gauge reads much like yours, JCZ.  According to it, I get much better gas mileage on the first half of tank than on the second!
'46 FL Knuckle with sidecar
'52 Hummer 125
'65 FLH Pan
'77 XLCR
'81 FLH Hetiage Special
'87 Hetiage Custom

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCSE Black and Blue
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2004, 10:01:11 AM »

I agree.  The second half of my tank is much better for MPG.  I attribute it to less weight from the emptying tank. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Makes sense to me!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2004, 10:03:04 AM by Doc »

the O`Fender

• Elite CVO Member
  • On the Dragon
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2004, 10:48:25 AM »

This is a little bit off the suggect but does relate to gas gauges--- how far have you driven after the idiot (low fuel) light comes on? Is their supposed to be a gallon of gas left when that light comes on?  [smiley=worried2.gif]
2020 Scorched Orange Limited

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2004, 11:05:08 AM »

This is a little bit off the suggect but does relate to gas gauges--- how far have you driven after the idiot (low fuel) light comes on? Is their supposed to be a gallon of gas left when that light comes on?
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2004, 11:59:05 AM »

I have begun to track miles on each new tank and calibrating to gas gage reading. Because I also fill right up to/slightly over the inner tank plate (in order to consistently monitor mpg) the gage remains on full for quite some time. When it finally starts to go--it goes! On those occasions in which I trusted the half to 1/4 markings I have run into the low fuel indicator in no time. Seems that the gage starts up at a lower reading than prior to shut down as well. I assumed that's why they have the multiple mileage settings on the bikes. I have yet to ride requiring multiple refuels in order to get to destination. I'm trying to calibrate when to get fuel comfortably (hard & easy driving) by monitoring miles driven in preparation for that eventuality.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2004, 11:59:47 AM by psychodeuce »

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2004, 01:24:50 PM »

having never met an accurate gas guage, i use my tripometer when i hit 160 i start looking for gas, gone as high as 185 and never run out, plus if i'm on a long trip i'm gonna stop after for a leg stretch prior to hiiting 160 and if i can swing it i'll gas up then
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

ak

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2004, 02:43:04 PM »

having never met an accurate gas guage, i use my tripometer when i hit 160 i start looking for gas, gone as high as 185 and never run out, plus if i'm on a long trip i'm gonna stop after for a leg stretch prior to hiiting 160 and if i can swing it i'll gas up then

i go by trip meter,speed,wind,uphill or down  in a pinch leaning bike far to the right gets an extra 10 miles(some gas gets hung up on the left side)--ak
,04seeg,s 09 roadglide,09 ultra

jay

• Junior CVO Member
  • flhtcse b&b
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2004, 08:42:27 PM »

A friend of mine is an engineer for a company which suppies various parts to auto manufacturers.  He says some automakers specify that the gas gauges read "optimistic" for the first half of tank of gas.  It's for the psychological advantage of thinking that you are getting really good mileage.  "I've done all this running around and the gas gauge han't budged off full yet!"

I doubt that Harley has speced their gas gauges that way from the supplier, but who knows.  My guess is the reason we don't see the gauge reflect our reality is because we are filling the tank fuller than what Harley has calebrated the gauge for i.e. what they think is full and what we thnk is full are two different levels in the tank.  The gauge doesn't start reading correctly until our full level comes down to their full level.  Hence the gauge reads full for a longer time.
'46 FL Knuckle with sidecar
'52 Hummer 125
'65 FLH Pan
'77 XLCR
'81 FLH Hetiage Special
'87 Hetiage Custom

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2004, 08:57:37 AM »

i was thinking about this a bit on the ride in today, left the house with 160 miles on the tank and my kurakyn guage was reading just below a half tank, got me thinking its not the guage thats the problem it the sending unit, the guage only interprets the signal sent by that....
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

gswcigar

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2004, 11:57:48 AM »

We just came off our annual Winston Salem to Key West (1015 miles one way) ride last week. My guage never fell below the half tank mark. It was slow coming off the full mark. We started looking at 150 miles for gas. The other bike in the group was a 2002 Dresses and it did not get good mileage.

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 22 queries.