Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: what a way to run a dealership  (Read 3329 times)

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 Wife's bike
what a way to run a dealership
« on: April 19, 2011, 08:41:14 PM »

Went to the "spring fling" with 7 friends last Saturday at Greeley H.D. in northern Colorado. One of those friends found a used bike he just had to have (2008 Heritage Softail special Anniversay edition). Long story short ---  he takes the bike for a test ride. His wife goes with salesman to do paper work and start loan process while he is riding. They take his trade in to the shop to be evaluated. When he comes back from the test ride, he heads into the store to complete paper work, and asks us to look over the bike to see if we could find any problems. I am sitting on the bike listening to it run while one of our other friends is on his knees looking under the bike. Another saleman comes up and says  ---  excuse me, but I need to take this bike. He says he has another person intersted in buying the bike and wanted to take a test ride. I said, say what  ---  we are looking at the bike and our buddy John is inside writing up a contract, and his bike is in your shop being evaluated for a trade. He asked us if their was any "money" on the bike. We told him that no "money" was on the bike yet as John just got off the bike less than 5 minutes ago, but since his trade was in their shop --  that should "technically" be "money" on the bike. The salesman said that did not count as "money" on the bike and said he was sending his customer on a ride. I stood in front of the bike and said he was not leaving on the bike that John was writing a contract on as we were speaking. The salesman goes into the store and soon here comes the store manager. We explained what was transpiring. Then he asks  ---  is there "money" on the bike?  We just went over this with your salesman, and repeated everyting to him. The manager said that until someone wrote a check, the bike belonged to the store, and anyone that wanted to ride it, could ride it. He then sends the rider on his test ride. We all expressed our feelings on that statement, as I am sure any of you would have. I told him that my 2010 SEUC was bought at his store and all of us have spent a lot of money in that store. I told Him if I were John, I would tell you to stuff that bike so far up your  a$$ that your eyeballs would be popping out. We also explained that his policies just cost him a minimun of one bike sale and at least 8 customers. My wife has been selling cars and trucks since 1983. She told me when she has a customer on a vehicle  --  no one leaves with that vehicle until her deal is complete or terminated. The manager could not tell me what would happen if John wrote a check and the other rider wrote a check at the same time. I guess at that point you start an auction on the showroom floor. This is absolutely mind boggling to me, how you can run a dealership like this and stay in business. The second thing that blows my mind, is test riding bikes at this dealership. You have to follow a salesman on another bike that is wearing an orange vest that says "test rider" on the front and back. Are we in grade school here, or is this some kind of Disneyland ride????  They still have a 2008 Softial for sale if anyone is interested. :stars: :rolleyes4:
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 08:45:29 PM by 2harleys »

semperfi81

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5B #860 of 999
Re: what a way to run a dealership
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 10:45:58 PM »

It seems a lot of dealerships would sell their souls for a buck :confused5:

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 11:46:50 PM »

I agree, that is a messed up way to sell bikes. Just look at another scenario, what if while you were signing the paperwork the second test rider crashed the bike you just signed for?
I guess the test ride procedure of following a salesman is to help prevent theft or abusive riding by the customer?

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 06:43:22 AM »

I agree, that is a messed up way to sell bikes. Just look at another scenario, what if while you were signing the paperwork the second test rider crashed the bike you just signed for?I guess the test ride procedure of following a salesman is to help prevent theft or abusive riding by the customer?

This is what i was thinking as i was reading the thread......bottom line is i would have walked away and bought my friends a beer. :drink:

SEgle

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3. Deweys Pro Street Heads, Fueling 574 Reaper cam, Smith Bros Adj Push Rods, Woods directional Night Prowler Lifters, Cometic 0.03" Head gasket, D & D Low Cat, SEST, SE Clutch Spring & AIM VPC92T Clutch kit.
    • CVO2: '76 FXE LIberty
    • CVO3: '68 GTO
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 06:58:48 AM »

Same thing happened to me a year or so ago, with a 4 x 4 at Toyota dealer. We had done the test drive and were negotiating price inside the dealer ship, after our car had been valued. when someone else was test drove the car came back and said they would buy it.We wern't real impressed, kinda left a sour taste. Pretty poor form in my book.

So it seems it happens every where then

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 07:06:57 AM »

Dealers like that just come and go   Try that place this time next year and they most likely won't be there  now is the time more than ever to be nice to your customers. When we do someone right- no one remembers,,, do someone wrong- no one forgets.  That's just life.  :nixweiss:

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 07:29:48 AM »

I would have waited until the other guy got back, found out if he was going to buy it, and if not make the dealer go through every hoop I could come up with, negotiate a trade-in price, talk about service plans, an accessory package, financing, everything but the signature on the dotted line.  Then have the wife say she doesn't like the color and walk out.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 08:40:26 AM »

Same thing happened to me a year or so ago, with a 4 x 4 at Toyota dealer. We had done the test drive and were negotiating price inside the dealer ship, after our car had been valued. when someone else was test drove the car came back and said they would buy it.We wern't real impressed, kinda left a sour taste. Pretty poor form in my book.

So it seems it happens every where then

Not necessarily everywhere.  I've known salespersons to pocket the keys after a test drive to keep just such a thing from happening.  If the customer decides to walk, the vehicle goes back to it's place on the lot and the keys go back into the key safe or on the key board, whichever way the dealership handles keys.  In a place with more than one salesperson, they don't want to lose the commission to another salesperson (obviously).  In a small shop where the salesperson is a salaried member of the family, I could see doing something like what happened to 2harley's.  There are a lot of really sorry people in the business, unfortunately.  Don't forget, most of the dealerships out there were also in business when they could easily get away with holding up customers for extra profits and even holding bidding wars.  Some of those folks haven't figured out that times have changed.  They need to be educated, and the best way we can help facilitate that education is by refusing to spend even a nickel in such places.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 08:41:19 AM »

I hope your friend told the dealer to shove it. Also, you point out the city, state but I think this dealer merrits "word of mouth" advertising  :P and you should point out dealer name on this thread.  :2vrolijk_21:

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 08:48:21 AM »

I hope your friend told the dealer to shove it. Also, you point out the city, state but I think this dealer merrits "word of mouth" advertising  :P and you should point out dealer name on this thread.  :2vrolijk_21:

Dealer was mentioned in posting.  Greeley H.D. ---- it is also known as Wildwest Motorsports which also sells Honda and Yamaha. And yes he told dealer to shove it.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 08:53:16 AM by 2harleys »

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 08:52:29 AM »

Not necessarily everywhere.  I've known salespersons to pocket the keys after a test drive to keep just such a thing from happening.  If the customer decides to walk, the vehicle goes back to it's place on the lot and the keys go back into the key safe or on the key board, whichever way the dealership handles keys.  In a place with more than one salesperson, they don't want to lose the commission to another salesperson (obviously).  In a small shop where the salesperson is a salaried member of the family, I could see doing something like what happened to 2harley's.  There are a lot of really sorry people in the business, unfortunately.  Don't forget, most of the dealerships out there were also in business when they could easily get away with holding up customers for extra profits and even holding bidding wars.  Some of those folks haven't figured out that times have changed.  They need to be educated, and the best way we can help facilitate that education is by refusing to spend even a nickel in such places.

Jerry

I asked the salesman why they did not do this, as that is what my wife does in the auto business.  The clown answered by saying  --  even if you keep the key to a Harley  --  the bike can still be started and ridden. WOW -- I guess he did not know that the switch can be turned to the left and the forks can be locked???????  He must be used to selling the Hondas and Yamahas on the other side of the building??

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 09:52:40 AM »

Sad dealer story.  I would have walked, too many good bikes for sale.

StrokedRider

• If i had to do it all over again i would Ride a little harder, Love a little better and Stay a little longer.
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Ride Hard, Live Free!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Candy Red / Black Ice (SOLD to Mjcw01)
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 10:35:46 AM »

Nothing chaps my Azz more than a money grubbing, four flushing, stick it in your face and walk if you don't like it, I AM THE GAME, someone else will buy it attitude. I will drive, fly, walk or crawl to another dealer before i would do ANY bussiness with someone that treats me that way. SORRY you have such a place to have had to deal with.
"Harley Davidson - The Perfect Machine to Turn Gasoline into Noise Without the Pesky Bi-Product of Horsepower!"

Master Guns

• Senior CVO Member
  • USMC MGySgt Retired (1968 - 1990)

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 11:26:36 AM »

There was a 2008 Heritage Softtail Anniversay Edition (black and copper) sitting at High Country in Frederick this past weekend.  This bike was previously owned by my wife and was very well taken care of.  She traded it in for a Limited.  If you and/or your friend go there, ask for Kim and tell her I sent you.  We have bought three bikes from her. 
Semper Fi

You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 12:51:42 PM »

There was a 2008 Heritage Softtail Anniversay Edition (black and copper) sitting at High Country in Frederick this past weekend.  This bike was previously owned by my wife and was very well taken care of.  She traded it in for a Limited.  If you and/or your friend go there, ask for Kim and tell her I sent you.  We have bought three bikes from her. 

I have been there 100 times and I do know Kim.  I will pass the word to my buddy tonight   Thanks for the heads up.  We were going to go to High Country but we got side tracked in Greeley.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2011, 12:54:49 PM »

I'da slapped the pi$$ out that salesman and anybody else that ran their mouth.  >:( Hubbard's Law.  There endeth the lesson.  Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2011, 01:17:49 PM »

You'd think a sales and service bussiness would be nicer to people. >:(

You should have put a quarter in the bike and said there was now money on the bike. Remind him he said nothing of amounts and then ask if he is a man of his word? Rude and Careless HD should be the new name of the dealership.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 02:11:35 PM by Dr.D »

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2011, 01:50:14 PM »

So is it now called Greedys instead
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2011, 03:09:19 PM »

There is a link to this thread on greedy's facebook page.....by Dickens Cider.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

Big Dog

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2011, 06:16:46 PM »

The last three bikes I bought from my dealership had the bike immediately removed from the floor as soon as I said "Let's go write it up" and I watched it being brought to the back each time. I did overhear once as one was going by that someone was interested but the bike just rolled on by him and he went with something else. Not cool to be dealt with that way as in the earlier post, especially when they are repeat customers and the state of the economy, how much did that salesman cost his dealer with the lost sale, potential warranty, for sure some ad ons and it goes on as we all know. :oops:
Randy D
Kristie D, Angel on my shoulders, October 10, 1973-April 16, 2009

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2011, 06:38:52 PM »

Makes me mad just reading the post. Way to many nice bikes for sale without having to buy one after being treated like your friend. I would have walked and everyone would have known that I wasn't a happy camper.
On a positive note, I think my complete CVO buying story is in some old posts but long story short is. My wife and I drove all night (11 1/2 hours) to Erie, PA HD. We were about an hour from there store when they opened at 9:00am. I called at 9:01am got salesman Denny and told him we had been on the rode all night and was interested in the 09SEUC that I REALLY hoped he still had. His response was it was still for sale and he would have it washed and sitting out front waiting for us. Here's the good part, I asked if he needed a credit card or something to hold the bike for me and he said, "no, I think our phone call and talking with me will be enough." Thats called customer service in my book. There are a few good HD's dealers out there.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 08:59:45 PM by 1sharprdkg »
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2011, 07:55:32 PM »

Makes me mad just reading the post. Way to many nice bikes for sale without having to buy one after being treated like your friend. I would have walked and everyone would have known that I wasn't a happy camper.
[/color]

Trust me, that is exactly what happened. I wrote a three page letter on Sunday, and sent copies to the president of Greeley H.D., the store manager, the finance manager, the sales manager, the "good" salesman, and to the clown that told us he was CMFIC of the store.  Besides that, all of our yelling was on the show room floor on one of their buzy days with probably 50 people hearing the very heated exchange of words, and now it is on this website where all can read about their great service. My letter stated that their manager and salesman just got them the equvilant of one month's worth of radio advertising, all for free!!  Although, I am not sure this is the kind of ad they would pay for, or want. I also stated in that letter, I would give them 10 days to respond to my letter before I forward that letter to corporate H.D.  Not sure if H.D. gives a $#%t, but it will make me feel better to send it. Coincidentally, I received a survey letter in the mail yesterday from H.D. wanting to know how I was enjoying the 2010 SEUC that I bought from Greeley H.D. 18 months ago. I would guess I do not have to tell you how I filled out that questioneer. I also left some very informative comments on the bottom of the form.   All we were asking was to be treated as they would like to be treated.  Now we are treating them as they treated us.  I wonder if they are "happy campers"??   :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

jamnflhxse2

• 1K CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE Arrived 12-19-14
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2011, 09:10:52 PM »

Thanks, another 1/2 a$$ dealership I won't be spending my hard earned money at while on vacation! It all comes around in the end!

willymax4

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2011, 10:49:02 AM »

do a guy right and a few people will know, do a guy wrong and everyone will know.
 negative comments spread like wildfire. no doubt greeley hd will feel this one when it's all said and done. :soapbox:

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2011, 11:17:41 AM »

I guess sometimes the customer is not # 1. I will never understand how this works.......a used Tampon salesman would have a better chance with me than theese guys
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2011, 11:40:17 AM »

We have five dealerships in our area with three different owners. If you fall out with one go to another.

Short story on our quirky dealers. We told all three we wanted a SG for the wife and needed a price. One never bothered to call, another gave us a run around saying they could not price one cause they were not sure they could get one and the other gave a price in thirty seconds and had it ordered in three minutes.

Mikey

• 2003 Harley Davidson FLHRSE12 Screamin' Eagle Road King
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Get the gold, make the rules!

• CVO1: FLHRSEi2 2003
    • CVO2: FLTRUSE 2015
    • Classic Muscle Bikes
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2011, 11:50:22 AM »

Wow!
GET THE GOLD, MAKE THE RULES!
2003 Harley Davidson FLHRSE12 Screamin' Eagle Road King
Limited Edition 100th Anniversary
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/gallery/452_21_04_11_11_12_33.jpg

Master Guns

• Senior CVO Member
  • USMC MGySgt Retired (1968 - 1990)

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2011, 06:34:31 PM »

I have been there 100 times and I do know Kim.  I will pass the word to my buddy tonight   Thanks for the heads up.  We were going to go to High Country but we got side tracked in Greeley.

I was at High Country today and the bike is still there.  Your buddy can call Kim direct at 303-833-6777 if he has any questions.
Semper Fi

You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2011, 08:58:09 PM »

I was at High Country today and the bike is still there.  Your buddy can call Kim direct at 303-833-6777 if he has any questions.

An update on the bike deal from Greeley that went south -----  My buddy (John) did go to High Country and bought a bike from Kim. He found a nicer bike  ---  a nicer sales person  ---  and a dealership that has it all together. John, myself and all of those that were treated like crap in Greeley, will be spending our dollars where our money is appreciated and we can deal with people that have more than a room temperature, and IQ.  We are sure going to miss the rider escort that Greeley uses if any one in our group want to test ride any of their bikes. Maybe we can have someone ride b#&tch just to make sure we treat the bike properly and do not over rev the motor, and they can also call a cop if we do not get the bike back in a timely manner. :2vrolijk_21:

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2011, 09:52:34 PM »

"How you supposed to run a successful business, you ain't got no Schlitz Malt Liquor! You ain't representin'! You ain't keepin' it real!"

Daryl Chase | Double Take | 2001

;)

jayray00SERG

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red FLTRSE1
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2011, 09:38:12 PM »

I shop at Harley only dealerships. The big multibrand dealerships have a different agenda. Two in my area are family run, all good! You really want a jap tech working on your bike?
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.242 seconds with 20 queries.