Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Updates from Rev Perf EMS users?  (Read 9747 times)

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
Updates from Rev Perf EMS users?
« on: April 27, 2011, 08:26:05 AM »

Now that the weather has allowed most of us to put a few miles on this year I was hoping to get some current feedback on the Rev Perf EMS.

Not much being said about this lately.  

I am guessing you all are just enjoying the "ride without screwing with it" benefit.

Any quirks, anything that stands out good or bad?

Thanks gt
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 06:55:45 AM by guppytrash »

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
Re: Updates from Rev Perf EMS users?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 10:15:38 AM »

Ive still got a low speed stumble or cough on occasion. After decel it will do this sometimes but not always. Ive done the free air calibration and brian said to ride the brake in 4th gear from low rpm to wot. Not surewhat to do next ive returned the ecm once already. The bike does run good but the the stumble is annoying. I dont think im the first with this issue but im at a loss to resolve it. Maybe brian can help or i was going to call the hd dude (jim). I still have my old power commander. Just my luck to try the latest greatest and have problems :bananarock:

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 10:33:00 AM »

I'm under the understanding Rev Perf makes permanent changes to the ECM that cannot be undone. If you are not happy with the Rev Perf EMS over time, can you go back to a regular dyno tune using TTS, or do you need to by another ECM?

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 10:48:26 AM »

I'm under the understanding Rev Perf makes permanent changes to the ECM that cannot be undone. If you are not happy with the Rev Perf EMS over time, can you go back to a regular dyno tune using TTS, or do you need to by another ECM?

My understanding is this is not true...  The ECM can be flashed back to stock if desired.
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 10:51:30 AM »

The only problem I have is a backfire when starting once in a while. I'm trying to see if there is some sort of pattern as to when this happens. So far it has just been the first start of the day, and it doesn't happen that often.

mattm

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 11:34:34 AM »

Just got back from a ~1500 mile trip from Austin to the Big Bend area with the EMS.  Temperatures ranged from 60's to close to 100F, humidity ranged from 70% to 7%, gas was anything we could find from 89-93 octane, no clue on the % ethanol.  Bike ran great, started up on pretty much the first revolution both hot and cold.  Mileage was between 37 to 42 mpg depending on speed and wind.  I guess I'm pretty much a happy camper, although it sucks being back at work after the trip.  Anyone need a PCIII?

« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 11:38:58 AM by mattm »

60FLH

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 06:24:10 PM »

I had an exhaust gasket leaking that resulted in stumbling, then after fixing the leak it was still there. The EMS needed to relearn those cells and they're tricky to hit. Brian told me to use rear brake to keep the RPM in the problem area and very slowly let it accelerate while rolling the throttle. I think I did the routine in 3rd or 4th gear, and did it a few times to be sure. It'll buck and snort, but the problem area went away. The EMS is very sensitive to exhaust leaks, even leaks you might not hear easily. I've switched from 2-1 to TD's and back a couple times and the EMS just happily does it's job, I'm very happy with it.

The Bolvine Gigolo!

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • ALL IN A DAYS WORK!
    • CA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG & 2011 Ultra -Sold
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra
    • CVO3: 2013 SERG Custom Atomic Orange/ Galaxy Gray
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 01:27:40 AM »

Just got the 05 Teal back from Jim he installed the Rev Perf  and the Supertrapp Megaphone 2 into 1 I've got around 500 miles on it now runs great starts  like it should NO back fire. I'm very happy so far! I'm bring it to Solvang in acouple of weeks will put on a bunch of miles with that trip!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 09:27:35 AM »

As cited on the vendor's FAQ page this is inaccurate.  Question #7 there says return to original isn't an issue:

http://www.revperf.com/Precision/precisionFAQ.html#7

beechflyr

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: Flhtcuse6
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 10:12:08 AM »

How is the engine effected if the ECM is returned to stock, with the Wide band O2 sensors and missing cat?

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 10:15:17 AM »

How is the engine effected if the ECM is returned to stock, with the Wide band O2 sensors and missing cat?

If you returned the ECM to stock, you'd want to completely remove the EMS unit and re-install the narrow band 02 sensors...   :2vrolijk_21:
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 10:21:49 AM »

That's not so much an EMS specific question as it is a tuning specific question.  First off returning the ECM to "stock" implies removing the entire EMS kit.  So the supplied sensors would be removed and the originals reinstalled.  The impact of any exhaust or other changes would be based on whether the bike had otherwise been tuned to match those changes.

Whether via the EMS package or some other tuning package the bike's engine management system has to be tuned to match any changes that have been made.  If, for example, someone removed a Power Commander and changed to a TTS tuner the TTS package would have to be set up to match the bike.  If someone removed the EMS package whatever they then changed to would also have to be set up to match the bike.  Even if that were a re-tune of the stock ECM.

Arctic John

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE 5

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE 5
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 12:03:35 PM »

I've got about 5-600 miles since installation.  No Problems except the lack of ride time.  RevPerf starts great, no stumbles and has a great power band.  Someday I will get it onto a dyno just to see what the results are with this thing, but no current plans.  Just ride.....

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 12:16:22 PM »

I've got about 5-600 miles since installation.  No Problems except the lack of ride time.  RevPerf starts great, no stumbles and has a great power band.  Someday I will get it onto a dyno just to see what the results are with this thing, but no current plans.  Just ride.....

What would be interesting to see, would be a properly tuned TTS system bike on a dyno chart, then a Rev Perf. EMS installed on the same bike with its dyno run, and seeing a comparison of the two on the same chart, HP, TQ & air fuel. If the lines are very close to each other, I'd be sold on the EMS because of the flexibility of modifying without needing a new tune every change. However, it sounds like some riders are reporting some stumbling at times on the EMS, and your hands are tied to a certain extent to fix that, where a tune with TTS can usually work out all the bugs with enough time.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 12:33:17 PM »

What would be interesting to see, would be a properly tuned TTS system bike on a dyno chart, then a Rev Perf. EMS installed on the same bike with its dyno run, and seeing a comparison of the two on the same chart, HP, TQ & air fuel. If the lines are very close to each other, I'd be sold on the EMS because of the flexibility of modifying without needing a new tune every change. However, it sounds like some riders are reporting some stumbling at times on the EMS, and your hands are tied to a certain extent to fix that, where a tune with TTS can usually work out all the bugs with enough time.

The few instances I am aware of where stumbles existed with the EMS system were all traced to intake/exhaust leaks.  Once the leaks were corrected and after some riding time to allow the 02 sensors to adjust, the stumbles disappeared.  If you're (or anyone) is experiencing stumbling, I'd look for a cause such as a leak...   :2vrolijk_21:
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.654 seconds with 21 queries.