Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Back to HD - Correcting my mistake...  (Read 4298 times)

volfan615

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE
Back to HD - Correcting my mistake...
« on: May 13, 2011, 09:11:28 AM »

I made a mistake last year when I sold my 09 SERG to purchase a Goldwing.  The Goldwing is a great bike but it's missing the soul and character that you only get from HD.  Anyway I think I'm about to correct that mistake with a new CVO Road Glide Ultra.  Are there any issues with this model that I should be particularly concerned about or should I just go for it and let the warranty take care of anything that comes up?  The only thing that really irked me about the 09 SERG was the damn seat gap that HD never wanted to correct.

Winhawk

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 Rio Red FLTRUSE (Sold)
    • CVO2: 15 Autumn Haze and Carbon Dust FLTRUSE
Re: Back to HD - Correcting my mistake...
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 09:40:32 AM »

Go for it.  I have one and have not had any major issues.  Anything that has come up my dealer has been more than willing to correct.  One thing you would want to check out is front end wobble.  Having the fallaway swing set to 1-1.5 takes care of this problem.  Of course you could just keep your hands on the handlebars.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 09:46:55 AM »

I made that same mistake about fifteen years ago.  The Goldwing was damn fast....but just not the same.  Only lasted me a couple of months and I was back.

You might wait a couple of months....see what the 2012 models and features are.  Then if you don't like it, there will still be 2011s around. :nixweiss:

Hopefully they've delt with the neck bearing issue on the Road Glides by now.  But if not, you can always get a bat wing fairing bike and not worry about it. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 10:04:36 AM »

Hopefully they've delt with the neck bearing issue on the Road Glides by now.  But if not, you can always get a bat wing fairing bike and not worry about it. :2vrolijk_21:

What were the neck bearing issues on the 2011? Reason I'm asking, I let go of the handlebars at 30 MPH last week, and it went into a hard wobble.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

Chuck Pryor

• Elite CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 09 SERG Silver/Titanium
    • CVO2: 86 FLST
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 11:18:00 AM »

What were the neck bearing issues on the 2011? Reason I'm asking, I let go of the handlebars at 30 MPH last week, and it went into a hard wobble.

I've had 4 RG's over the years and they have had neck bearing issues as well as the fall out that causes that... a good tech CAN correct it but HD will always say that it's a "wear item"   I never had this issue until I got my 2008 and then found the same issue on my 09SERG.  It's common but can be corrected...

Chuck

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 11:28:20 AM »

Seems like it was more common on the 08 and 09 Road Glides but I have heard of it on the 10s and 11s also.

There's a member on this forum that took his 09 to two different dealerships....they "looked" at his bike and said there wasn't anything wrong with it.  Took it to a third dealership and they did the "fall away" check on it......it was way out of specs.  They tightened it down to 2.5 on the fall away and he's doing much better now.

From what I've read and from what I've heard the techs in dealerships say......the neck bearings are not completely seated at the factory.  During shipment or after putting a few miles on, the bearings drop down in place and thereby creating a lot of slop that creates that wobble. :nixweiss:

Find a dealership that's willing to do it right and you'll be much happier.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 11:30:56 AM »

Seems like it was more common on the 08 and 09 Road Glides but I have heard of it on the 10s and 11s also.

There's a member on this forum that took his 09 to two different dealerships....they "looked" at his bike and said there wasn't anything wrong with it.  Took it to a third dealership and they did the "fall away" check on it......it was way out of specs.  They tightened it down to 2.5 on the fall away and he's doing much better now.

From what I've read and from what I've heard the techs in dealerships say......the neck bearings are not completely seated at the factory.  During shipment or after putting a few miles on, the bearings drop down in place and thereby creating a lot of slop that creates that wobble. :nixweiss:

Find a dealership that's willing to do it right and you'll be much happier.

Thanks. I think I had the same issue on my 07 UC. Sounds like something a novice like myself shouldn't do. I'll have it checked at the 1,000 mile service. I'm ashamed to say I bought this bike last fall, and it only has 550 miles on it.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 11:53:25 AM »

It's not just the RG's that have that loose bearing issue.  Many Ultra's have the same thing. 
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 01:37:41 PM »

I made a mistake last year when I sold my 09 SERG to purchase a Goldwing.  The Goldwing is a great bike but it's missing the soul and character that you only get from HD.  Anyway I think I'm about to correct that mistake with a new CVO Road Glide Ultra.  Are there any issues with this model that I should be particularly concerned about or should I just go for it and let the warranty take care of anything that comes up?  The only thing that really irked me about the 09 SERG was the damn seat gap that HD never wanted to correct.

I've got the 2011 in Rio Red...purchased in January.  I've had no issues with the wobble, so maybe that was an early production issue.  Have read a couple of things about the headlights not being aimed properly, so I had the dealer check that before I took delivery.  I had a small oil leak that was coming from the backing plate for the oil filter, but they fixed that at the 1K service and it's fine now.  The seat is, so far, the best HD seat I've sat on...no issues with fitment.  The stock shield may or may not work for you, depending on how tall you are.  I'm 5'8" with a 29" inseam, and the stock shield's top edge was right in my line of sight.  I got a Cee Bailey CVO shield at 15" and can see over the top OK now, plus the airflow seems better.  It's a tall bike, so I had to put Legend Air shocks on the rear so that I could lower the bike when I need to walk it around for parking, etc...but I'm short, so that may not be necessary for you.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 01:39:36 PM »

Thanks. I think I had the same issue on my 07 UC. Sounds like something a novice like myself shouldn't do. I'll have it checked at the 1,000 mile service. I'm ashamed to say I bought this bike last fall, and it only has 550 miles on it.

You've just got too many bikes, Ken  ;)  It's hard to put miles on any one of them when you've got a half dozen to choose from on any given day.   ;D
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Ole Heritage

• CVO1: FLTRUSE
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2011, 02:28:37 PM »

I just talked with my HD mech. this morning about the shimmy in the front end.  He told me they tighten down each and every RG when it comes in even if it is not a CVO Ultra or not.  I checked mine on the 80 mile trip home and it did NOT wobble at all, now with only 390 miles on it I just checked it yesterday and wow look out it was not good!  Just between 35 and 40 mph was when it started shaking.  My HD mech. did ask what my tire pressure was and he concluded that it was the bearing probably just getting seated good.  Time will tell and yes my HD people have been great!!!

danner55

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Big Red "Izzy"
    • CVO2: 1989 FLT TOUR GLIDE CLASSIC
    • CVO3: 1997 Heritage Springer Softail
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2011, 06:07:48 PM »

It is the characteristic of the beast! I have an 1989 FLT CLASSIC. I've been riding her for 20 years & this wobble will never go away completly. I've changed lower legs, it did help, changed wheel bearings, tires, & adjusted the neck bearings over the years. The MOCO told me in 1991 that it was not designed to ride with no hands! You just have to be aware that it could wobble at anytime. I've never had a wobble @ higher speeds than 30 to 40 mph. it is always when you are decelerating. I believe it has to do with way the frame mounted fairing is cutting the wind.  Just my 2 cents.
IBA #63514
If you can't run with the big dogs stay home on the porch!

SEURG

• Senior CVO Member
  • Deals Gap

• CVO1: 2011 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 10:12:17 PM »

2011 Road Glide Ultra - just arrived at the 5000 mike mark.  Has not been back for any repairs since purchased.  Maybe lucky, hope that I got a good one.  No front end wobble, no issues, been a fun 5000 miles.  Going I n for the 5000 mike check up this week.

Only two mods made to date - tour pack extent ion and the tour pack light kit JD has made.  Just ordered a new windscreen and most likely will also put on the floor board extensions.

GMAN SERGU

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 09:08:33 PM »

My sergu has been perfect for the last 2000 miles. I ask the dealer to check the front bearings to spect before delivery and at 1000 mile service. HD will cover the 1000 mile service check of the bearing but not after. So take advantage of the 1000 mile and get it adjusted. I love my bike a lot, no problems so far.

Beemer

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF CMSgt (Ret)

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Electric Orange/Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE Autumn Haze/Carbon Dust
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 09:07:04 AM »

My sergu has been perfect for the last 2000 miles. I ask the dealer to check the front bearings to spect before delivery and at 1000 mile service. HD will cover the 1000 mile service check of the bearing but not after. So take advantage of the 1000 mile and get it adjusted. I love my bike a lot, no problems so far.

I'd have to rais the BS flag on HD not covering bearing check after 1000mi...if there's a wobble (safety) problem, the techs have to check all possible causes to find the problem...that includes the bearings.  Had mine done with over 10K on the clock.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 10:59:36 AM by Beemer »

GMAN SERGU

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2011, 08:36:38 PM »

I'd have to rais the BS flag on HD not covering bearing check after 1000mi...if there's a wobble (safety) problem, the techs have to check all possible causes to find the problem...that includes the bearings.  Had mine done with over 10K on the clock.
Beemer you are right, I question the dealer and they started to tell me that it was a wearable item, that is crap big time!!! I just wanted to get it fix and get out. I ask if they can show me how to do the fix and they told me it was complicated but they want $100 or 1 hour to fix it next time. I will be using a local mechanic and learn the fix for the future. My bike is running great and no problems at all. I do love this bike and do not miss my 1200 GT.

Beemer

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF CMSgt (Ret)

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Electric Orange/Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE Autumn Haze/Carbon Dust
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2011, 01:32:04 PM »

Beemer you are right, I question the dealer and they started to tell me that it was a wearable item, that is crap big time!!! I just wanted to get it fix and get out. I ask if they can show me how to do the fix and they told me it was complicated but they want $100 or 1 hour to fix it next time. I will be using a local mechanic and learn the fix for the future. My bike is running great and no problems at all. I do love this bike and do not miss my 1200 GT.

Man-O-man...this really pi$$es me off!  What dealer are you going to?  Did you buy the bike from them?  Even if you didn't, it shouldn't make any difference.   

You need to call HD customer service at (414) 343-4056 and tell them your problem.    They'll in-turn tell the dealer what they need to do.

Did I tell you that this really pi$$es me off? >:( >:( >:(

GMAN SERGU

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2011, 10:38:26 PM »

Man-O-man...this really pi$$es me off!  What dealer are you going to?  Did you buy the bike from them?  Even if you didn't, it shouldn't make any difference.   

You need to call HD customer service at (414) 343-4056 and tell them your problem.    They'll in-turn tell the dealer what they need to do.

Did I tell you that this really pi$$es me off? >:( >:( >:(
They did fix it and did a good job,  the bike runs great but if it needs to be Done again I have to pay them. I talk to the shop manager and he told me that it was HDs policy. .??.? I will use them for guaranty work ONLY I have the maintenance program with them but any other work will use local mechanic. The sales dep was great, the maintenance dep are frenly but customer service in that dep needs more help. I was thinking on doing my upgrades there but will not. You would think that they would take care of costumers that spend so much money in their place. I was disappointed with their response but There is other ways like this site for info for help. Lots of good people here. I do love this bike the only thing I miss from the Beemer is the electric windshield and top end power.  :) after mods power will not be a factor.  ;D

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2011, 10:49:31 PM »

Just had dealer fix/adjust neck bearings, 14500 miles on my 09 SERG, no mention of a charge. Told them it had  a wobble and they fixed it, bike was down to 15 days of the original warranty left when they did it as well.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 21 queries.