Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 11 Road Glide CVO with Wild1 apes  (Read 13982 times)

keith1450

11 Road Glide CVO with Wild1 apes
« on: May 18, 2011, 09:19:04 AM »

I started this project out with a set of Wild1’s 12” Outlawz (W0612).  I, not saying it can’t be done, could not get all my wires to include the GPS past that 90 degree bend at the base.  With that said, I used a set of Wild1’s (W502) 12.5” apes.  I was able to run all my wires internally.  As you can see from the pic’s, GPS is ran internally with the grip heaters and the rest of the wires on my 2011 CVO Road Glide.  So, yes it can be done.
The only mod’s I had to do were, re-route (NOT get longer ones) the brake and clutch lines and extend the grip heater wire’s (4 of them).  Everything else was long enough to allow the bars to be turned in either direction without putting stress on the wires or factory connectors. 
I used heat shrink and nylon cord to pull the wires through.  If you do the grip heaters remember that on the left hand grip one set of wires go in at the bar end and the other set go in the hole a few inch’s down.  When I documented all the wires and plug pin locations I got in a rush with the Screaming Eagle electronic throttle connector.  This plug uses six wires, red, white, and black.  The only difference is the color of the shrink wrap.  I found on the forums two different posts with opposite directions.  IN MY CASE, the yellow wrapped red, white, and black wires went to pins 1, 2, and 3.  The black wrapped went to 4, 5, and 6.  I found that I had it backwards when I started it and it went to full throttle, or wide open!  I just swapped the throttle wires and now all is fine.
Pic's in a minute...
11 FLTRUSE
ThunderMax
Vance & Hines Pro Pipe

keith1450

Re: 11 Road Glide CVO with Wild1 apes
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 09:21:05 AM »

Pic of short wires... grip heaters to be exact.
11 FLTRUSE
ThunderMax
Vance & Hines Pro Pipe

keith1450

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 09:54:08 AM »

Glide pic
11 FLTRUSE
ThunderMax
Vance & Hines Pro Pipe

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 12:06:11 PM »

The wires will become even shorter when you put the adapter plate on.  I had a similar issue and my problem was when the bars & adapter were tightend the adapter locks in place limiting the amount of adjustment you can make because the adapter chokes of the wires.  The mfg, should have left the bars the same size allowing a larger hole and avoiding the problem of pinching the wires if you have to adjust the bars.

Good job in that tight space

n7543g

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 12:26:48 PM »

Looks great!! :2vrolijk_21:

Mogulbumm

• Tiger Blood and Adonis DNA

• CVO1: FLTRUSE
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 01:36:19 PM »

I started this project out with a set of Wild1’s 12” Outlawz (W0612).  I, not saying it can’t be done, could not get all my wires to include the GPS past that 90 degree bend at the base.  With that said, I used a set of Wild1’s (W502) 12.5” apes.  I was able to run all my wires internally.  As you can see from the pic’s, GPS is ran internally with the grip heaters and the rest of the wires on my 2011 CVO Road Glide.  So, yes it can be done.
The only mod’s I had to do were, re-route (NOT get longer ones) the brake and clutch lines and extend the grip heater wire’s (4 of them).  Everything else was long enough to allow the bars to be turned in either direction without putting stress on the wires or factory connectors. 
I used heat shrink and nylon cord to pull the wires through.  If you do the grip heaters remember that on the left hand grip one set of wires go in at the bar end and the other set go in the hole a few inch’s down.  When I documented all the wires and plug pin locations I got in a rush with the Screaming Eagle electronic throttle connector.  This plug uses six wires, red, white, and black.  The only difference is the color of the shrink wrap.  I found on the forums two different posts with opposite directions.  IN MY CASE, the yellow wrapped red, white, and black wires went to pins 1, 2, and 3.  The black wrapped went to 4, 5, and 6.  I found that I had it backwards when I started it and it went to full throttle, or wide open!  I just swapped the throttle wires and now all is fine.
Pic's in a minute...

I'm really interested in these bars as well.  As a new bike, the guys at Wild1 weren't sure how much different than stock they would be.  I was looking at  the 10" but since they are wider, they don't give me much more pullback.

What would you guess is the difference from stock bars in terms of height and pullback?  I love the way they look.  I'm just trying to get about 1.5" - 2" of pullback.
2011 FLTRUSE CVO Rio Red
Fullsac Stage 1 and 2 on Order

darth davidson

• FLTRUSE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 02:32:36 PM »

Looks awesome , but my neck and shoulders cant take the pressure. :behead:

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 04:20:08 PM »

I had the dealer put 12" Outlaw apes on my 2011 RGU and yes, they had to run the wires for the Zumo outside the bars. Couldn't get the knot on the cables around the corner.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 . . . . . Fullsac X-Pipe - 2.25" baffles - Fueling 574 Cam's - TTS Tuner - 30 Tooth Pully W/Stock Belt- Wild One 575 Bars - Chrome Inner Primary - Kuryakyn Plate frame 9182 - Diamond Engineering Polished SS Bolt Kit - 8" Windvest - Black Agitator
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 12:56:31 PM »

Hey Keith, how about a close up of the bars and brake/clutch lines. I am amazed you went to a 12" without having to change cables. I might look into ordering the lines from your bike for my bike. Your stock lines are a dark braided line correct?

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 01:06:32 PM »

looks great! good job! :2vrolijk_21:

Mogulbumm

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 03:17:03 PM »

After reading this thread, I just put these exact bars on my bike and LOVE them.  What a great and comfortable height and width!  My shop was able to put them on without ANY changes to the wiring (said the wiring was a bitch, but otherwise even the grip heater wires just made it without the need to extend).  Ran the angle inline with the front forks which ended up aesthetically pleasing and perfect for me.  Thanks for being the guinea pig on this!

If anybody wants to have it done, prepare for a few hours of labor!

2011 FLTRUSE CVO Rio Red

aclass

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 11:48:17 AM »

Installed the 12" Yaffe bars in early Spring. You're right! the wire pull through the 90° angles were cruel and unusual and nearly made the bars in to a nice chrome tomato stake.  Over all,  happy with the results.

Fattbaggernknox

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 12:07:40 PM »

The wires will become even shorter when you put the adapter plate on.  I had a similar issue and my problem was when the bars & adapter were tightend the adapter locks in place limiting the amount of adjustment you can make because the adapter chokes of the wires.  The mfg, should have left the bars the same size allowing a larger hole and avoiding the problem of pinching the wires if you have to adjust the bars.

Good job in that tight space
I see you've installed a pro-pipe, changed w/s & short antennas.. I've made the same changes with exception of Fueling cams (574) & pcv just curious what kind of numbers you had after your mods?
2011 fltruse FBI wheels& hidden axle 574 Fuelling cams & lifters.J&M rocker series speakers & amp, Rb Racing black hole spyder 2-1, Aim-vpc92,SE 58MM TB, HPI 5.3 inj. Tuned by Strokerjlk 112.76/118.99 sae 115.42/121.85 std

Mogulbumm

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 12:19:46 PM »

Those Yaffe bars look sweet on the bike!  On the RG Ultra CVO they also do internal wiring for the GPS which definitely would NOT have made that 90 degree bend!  Nice job on the bike!
2011 FLTRUSE CVO Rio Red

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2011, 12:27:24 PM »

Nice job, looks great
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 21 queries.