Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Question on 06 and later voltage regulator pin locations  (Read 3918 times)

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
Re: Question on 06 and later voltage regulator pin locations
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2019, 01:06:19 PM »

Good to know it (probably) wasnt me... come to think of it the similar may have happened on my wife's first FXDL many years ago.. so you're probably right.

Corroded parts... ugh. shopping fleabay now.  Granted I dont "need" roller rockers... that doesn't mean I don't want them... LOL. I'f I'm pulling rocker box covers I'm not doing it for no reason other than swapping chrome.. (I'm just using it as an excuse!) I knew about the breathers from my service guy.. The "if youre going to open it up.. you can upgrade the.... " (Here's where the snowball begins... )

If the bike wasn't at the house in pieces I'd just let him take it and fix it. But he would have the same parts problem.

Exhaust: Thunderheader has a bearable sound. the bike currently has V&H slip ons which I don't care for.  I'd rather put my spare set of fullsac CVO cored mufflers on it. I also don't want to wrestle with the duals with the crossovers. fullsac makes a kit to make it a true dual. My problem still comes with re-coating the pipes and heat shields locally. I'll look into the Fatcat or the Supermeg. The falsie isn't a "need, its a nice to have," the other option is trying my spare '09 pipe (why this is still hanging in my closet I don't know) and seeing how it fits (Or doesn't)

You're correct that the M&M is a love it or leave it system... it either runs flawlessly or is a headache for some.... Example: with basically stock bikes (My friend has 99k on his 2000 FLTRSEI) the only mod is Rhineharts, colder plugs and a "regulator mod" an old harley tech did for him to increase pressure. (I believe it involved compressing the regulator slighty to increase pressure, the same thing we used to do with turbo buicks BITD). He has changed fuel pumps a couple of times according to the service interval.  Mine is still stock but doesnt have anywhere near the miles. Mine runs great as well.

I'd leave mine intact for the reasons noted. The T-max can be a handful because it inst mainstream (Enough) and the parts are not easy to get. much like running Big Stuff 3 for an automotive application.

The neutral switch ain't broken (yet) but being the equivalent of a bull in a china shop, its probably safer for me to have a spare available because I'm sure the dealer wont have it if I need it!

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2019, 01:26:43 PM »

Back when Supertrapp products first came out, they used to have both an open end cap and a closed end cap included with the components.

Do you know if this is still the case?

If volume is an issue for this old man...  :huepfenlol2:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2019, 01:41:37 PM »

Good to know it (probably) wasnt me... come to think of it the similar may have happened on my wife's first FXDL many years ago.. so you're probably right.

Corroded parts... ugh. shopping fleabay now.  Granted I dont "need" roller rockers... that doesn't mean I don't want them... LOL. I'f I'm pulling rocker box covers I'm not doing it for no reason other than swapping chrome.. (I'm just using it as an excuse!) I knew about the breathers from my service guy.. The "if youre going to open it up.. you can upgrade the.... " (Here's where the snowball begins... )

If the bike wasn't at the house in pieces I'd just let him take it and fix it. But he would have the same parts problem.

Exhaust: Thunderheader has a bearable sound. the bike currently has V&H slip ons which I don't care for.  I'd rather put my spare set of fullsac CVO cored mufflers on it. I also don't want to wrestle with the duals with the crossovers. fullsac makes a kit to make it a true dual. My problem still comes with re-coating the pipes and heat shields locally. I'll look into the Fatcat or the Supermeg. The falsie isn't a "need, its a nice to have," the other option is trying my spare '09 pipe (why this is still hanging in my closet I don't know) and seeing how it fits (Or doesn't)

You're correct that the M&M is a love it or leave it system... it either runs flawlessly or is a headache for some.... Example: with basically stock bikes (My friend has 99k on his 2000 FLTRSEI) the only mod is Rhineharts, colder plugs and a "regulator mod" an old harley tech did for him to increase pressure. (I believe it involved compressing the regulator slighty to increase pressure, the same thing we used to do with turbo buicks BITD). He has changed fuel pumps a couple of times according to the service interval.  Mine is still stock but doesnt have anywhere near the miles. Mine runs great as well.

I'd leave mine intact for the reasons noted. The T-max can be a handful because it inst mainstream (Enough) and the parts are not easy to get. much like running Big Stuff 3 for an automotive application.

The neutral switch ain't broken (yet) but being the equivalent of a bull in a china shop, its probably safer for me to have a spare available because I'm sure the dealer wont have it if I need it!

You're deep in the weeds now!!  :huepfenlol2:   I know that forest of weeds.  Been there and bought the spare parts tickets :drink: !  We know, in our minds, that the enemy of perfectly good enough is sometimes the desire/need/2nd beer compulsion to make it just a little bit better.  Sane people around us say, "you sure about that Bubba?"  Then we merely act like we consider their ideas and warning before, BAM, it's off to eBay we go!!

Let's see, my old Road Glide.....  Brembos all the way around, Delphi 04-05 so it had to have new instruments and cruise module along with everything else, radio....   Oh, God, I'm not starting this list.  I'm just not in to that kind of masochism today.  By the way, it's powder coated and diamond cut cylinders and heads that are part of its engine upgrade work (including the newer automatic compression releases) are all here in a pile.  Some weekend soon!!   :coolblue: :huepfenlol2: :coolblue:  (gawd it's a sickness)

Ok, roller rockers.  Expensive and ,unless you're really stepping up the cam, expensive to no real benefit.  Plus you'll have to grind out part of the upper rocker boxes for clearance.  Not a big deal.  Just something else you'll have to do.  Roller rocker money (if getting name brand pieces) could buy you have an exhaust system?

Exhaust choices are like religion.  You pray to whomever brings you the most peace. If you try an 09 exhaust system that crossed under you won't have the mounting locations at the back of the oil pan necessary to make it work.

Hey, just thought of something else.  While you're in the "upgrade" mindset here's a part to inspect carefully.  Check out your swingarm.  The pre-02 swingarms had a tendency to crack and/or twist.  Make sure yours is ok.  Look very carefully around where the axle goes through.  It's worth an inspection at every oil change.  You can change to the 02-08 swingarms to eliminate the problem but it will involve more parts than just the swingarm.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2019, 01:43:32 PM »

Back when Supertrapp products first came out, they used to have both an open end cap and a closed end cap included with the components.

Do you know if this is still the case?

If volume is an issue for this old man...  :huepfenlol2:

I'd forgotten about that.  They could be cranky sounding too.  Is exhaust sound better when it can quickly leave your island and just bounce across the water like an exhaust tsunami scaring the hell out of fishes?

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
    • HI

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2019, 02:09:38 PM »

Ha!

Got the Brembo's already. need the Brake master... which now makes my new edge cut levers useless. (Glad they were Amazon specials and and not OEM HD). Did the swingarm inspection at last oil change. Had a brief thought of using the 07-08 CVO parts and making it a fat tire bike. But with the narrow drive belt and the hack? NO WAY... unless I do a chain drive conversion...   (Snowball??) if I can find all the parts I'll consider it... someone here is always trying to "Get rid" of something.

I know I don't need roller rockers... but after having them in the FXDL and how much quieter the valvetrain was I would disagree. It was a 95" with 204 cams.. fairly mild

I ride the Hack harder than the FXDL ever got ridden... (OK.. maybe not... I used to torment sportbikes with it... It was quick for a little bike.  :huepfenlol2: ) But I do ride the hack every day when its up and running.

EFI... done factory EFI conversions on cars... bikes should be pretty easy. I'm not new to wrenching, but my injury wasn't just to my back, I landed on my head. I still have blank spots in my memory from then. Just gotta use the reference materials and I should be fine.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2019, 02:53:32 PM »

Ha!

Got the Brembo's already. need the Brake master... which now makes my new edge cut levers useless. (Glad they were Amazon specials and and not OEM HD). Did the swingarm inspection at last oil change. Had a brief thought of using the 07-08 CVO parts and making it a fat tire bike. But with the narrow drive belt and the hack? NO WAY... unless I do a chain drive conversion...   (Snowball??) if I can find all the parts I'll consider it... someone here is always trying to "Get rid" of something.

I know I don't need roller rockers... but after having them in the FXDL and how much quieter the valvetrain was I would disagree. It was a 95" with 204 cams.. fairly mild

I ride the Hack harder than the FXDL ever got ridden... (OK.. maybe not... I used to torment sportbikes with it... It was quick for a little bike.  :huepfenlol2: ) But I do ride the hack every day when its up and running.

EFI... done factory EFI conversions on cars... bikes should be pretty easy. I'm not new to wrenching, but my injury wasn't just to my back, I landed on my head. I still have blank spots in my memory from then. Just gotta use the reference materials and I should be fine.

You don't have to change the master cylinders to do the Brembo calipers.  I've done it both ways quite a few times. It works either way and works fine.  Rear I don't really find any difference in use at all.  Feel nor use.  Fronts there is a difference in the feel during pull.  The feedback you feel is different.  But both are good and work fine.  Right now my Road Glide and Road King both have Brembos on the front.  One has the newer MC while the other does not.  All good. 

The rear Brembo caliper won't mount to the current caliper bracket.  The Brembo's caliper bracket won't install with the current 3/4" axle.  So without doing the swingarm upgrade and going to it's bigger axle you can't yet make that jump in the back end.  Front end is certainly do-able though and is a noticeable improvement.

The EFI conversion on your Marelli bike really isn't hard.  It's just a small butt ton of parts.  Different pump and sender in the tank.  Harnesses.  If you go 02-03 you won't have to change cruise control module and instruments.  If you go 04-05 (or newer) you will need instruments and a cruise control module.  You'll need a fitting that fills one of the two fuel line holes in the gas tank (one source still offers that).  New Delphi style fuel line.  New complete throttle body.  Different battery try for under the seat.  ECM (02-03 at a minimum.  04 is newer bus but has limited memory.  05-06 is newer bus and has more internal memory and has the ability to handle 02 sensors if you wish to (worth doing).  Once all the parts are in hand it really is an easy one weekend / several beer job.  On top of all that, of course, will be some tuning device to dial the ECM for your engine.

Of course, if you were really salty, you could find all the harness, electronics and other parts off an 08 with ABS.  That's the one model year that would let you convert the old bike to newer AND include ABS.  I keep thinking one or both of mine will go this way someday.  Need to find a one-piece donor though so all electronics are all already paired up and know each other.  ABS is the only of the newer systems on any of the bikes I wish I had.

The swingarm isn't bad to do.  As will all this crap it's more than just the swingarm though.  Axle size is different so it's a new axle also.  A bushing kit to allow the newer swingarm with its larger front shaft holes hang on the transmission and its smaller shaft.  You can use your caliper bracket.  Just need to run a 1" bit through the center hole at a drill press then finish it out with a brake hone until the axle slides through comfortably.  And, of course, do something with the back wheel to make it accept the large axle.  Either replace it with newer or bore its center hole and go with 1" bearings and center spacer.  I've bored the center hole but only at a machine shop.  It's not something you'll do at home with a hand drill. Way too much meat to be removed and way too long a hole to do it.

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
    • HI

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2019, 03:05:19 PM »

For the rear Brembo you machine a bushing for the caliper bracket to mate to the 3/4" axle shaft. then its a bolt in. (Service guy trick) he has a small lathe in his shop.

Maybe I can get lucky and find a crashed 08 ABS that is salvageable. My 08 SG had ABS... never thought I would need it until it saved my ass one night. (And I'm a pretty competent rider, or like to believe I am.)

Do I need to change the brake line? I haven't bought rotors yet... mainly because I just put new brakes on the bike when I did tires.

Maybe I'll start looking at the auction websites.. I have access via a friends account to bid.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2019, 03:30:39 PM »

For the rear Brembo you machine a bushing for the caliper bracket to mate to the 3/4" axle shaft. then its a bolt in. (Service guy trick) he has a small lathe in his shop.

Maybe I can get lucky and find a crashed 08 ABS that is salvageable. My 08 SG had ABS... never thought I would need it until it saved my ass one night. (And I'm a pretty competent rider, or like to believe I am.)

Do I need to change the brake line? I haven't bought rotors yet... mainly because I just put new brakes on the bike when I did tires.

Maybe I'll start looking at the auction websites.. I have access via a friends account to bid.

Brake line will work.  I've done the bushing route once.  Actually machined up five when I did it the first time and sold the rest on eBay.  Most don't have machining that as an option though.  It's just such a really good excuse to get ride of the old 9 spoke wagon wheel  ;D .

eBay has a few sellers that part out bikes.  I keep watching for one of them to start listing 08 specific parts and then will try to score all needed off one bike.  Doing this would be a bolt on also with one exception.  Rear master cylinder (as best as I can tell) will have to have one hole drilled in the frame for it to mount.  That's it though.  All the rest would be direct part swaps.

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
    • HI

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2019, 04:40:36 PM »

I wasnt talking about ebay.. my other friend does auto repair and salvage and always sends me links to the bikes for sale. I have been following some of the ebay sellers. one of them recently had parts from a grey 01.

Never specifically saw an '08... right about now it'd be nice to have my old '08 FLHX back for parts!

Good to know I can use the old master. For the rear I'm a little more concerned as I already have a lack of volume due to the sidecar.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2019, 04:53:23 PM »

Good to know I can use the old master. For the rear I'm a little more concerned as I already have a lack of volume due to the sidecar.

If you know....?  For the bikes that plumb fluid to a brake on the outside wheel of a hack is a larger volume cylinder used?

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
    • HI

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2019, 05:20:16 PM »

If you know....?  For the bikes that plumb fluid to a brake on the outside wheel of a hack is a larger volume cylinder used?

Normally a larger volume reservoir mounted above the regulator on the cross brace on the frame. Fed by a hose.

The master has to be different... I recall my 89 with the factory hack had the similar setup. Googling now.

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 21 queries.