Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Automatic compression relief  (Read 4141 times)

gunlvr

Automatic compression relief
« on: May 21, 2011, 08:21:59 AM »

My Dyna seems to be hard to turn over on starting. It runs great once it starts. I was curious if the Dyna's had the Automatic compression relief (or is it release)valves. If so, where are they and do they ever stick in position. I ordered the shop manual from Harley but it hasn't come in yet. Just looking for some helpful advice. Thanks in advance for your time.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Automatic compression relief
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 09:39:52 AM »

My Dyna seems to be hard to turn over on starting. It runs great once it starts. I was curious if the Dyna's had the Automatic compression relief (or is it release)valves. If so, where are they and do they ever stick in position. I ordered the shop manual from Harley but it hasn't come in yet. Just looking for some helpful advice. Thanks in advance for your time.

All 110's have ACR's.  They can fail, and you can also have a situation if you've had a map loaded or the bike tuned where the ACR's become disabled electronically.  That can be easily rectified with the tuning software.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: Automatic compression relief
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 09:54:02 AM »

Your 110 Dyna has automatic compression release valves installed.  Do a quick compression test to determine if they are active and working.  You will see approx. 130psi to 150psi compression if the compression releases are working, and something over 200psi if compression releases are not working.

For a quick diagnostic test, buy a compression gage at a auto parts store or a place like Harbor Freight.  Remove both spark plugs.  Screw the compression gage into a spark plug hole.  Hold your throttle open and turn your motor over on the starter - 4 or 5 revolutions is sufficient.  Repeat the process for the other cylinder...   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 21 queries.