Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: kick stand problem  (Read 6720 times)

Janine

• FXDSE2
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FXDSE2
    • CVO2: FXSTSSE
kick stand problem
« on: June 04, 2011, 09:00:52 PM »

My kick stand fell off the other day. Had it put back on by a friend, as I know diddily squat about these things  :confused5: Thought all was well until I took her out this afternoon. Now my bike makes such a noise like my engine is going to fall off and I get terrible vibrations in my feet through to my eyes! I assume that the stand was installed wrong and is now rattling against the bottem of the bike. I've looked for a diagram of my stand online but have found nothing. :nixweiss:
Can anyone help me out as the stealers aren't open on Sundays, and I want to ride tomorrow.

Member 4721
FXDSE2-Candy Cobalt/Midnight Blue

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
Re: kick stand problem
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 10:05:43 PM »

Janine, you're prolly correct that the kickstand is too close to the motor which is suppose to be isolated (by rubber mounts) from hitting other solidly mounted parts and is causing your eyes to viberate (thus the nickname 'milwalkee viberator'). Just needs to be re-mounted in the correct position. BUT, it needs to be mounted securely as that's a heavy motorcycle held up only by that kickstand and you don't want it to fall and break something on you or it.  Have someone do it correctly or not at all.  jmho.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Janine

• FXDSE2
  • Elite CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 08:23:42 AM »

Does anyone have a picture of the breakdown of the kickstand assembly? Really want to go riding today as it's so nice, finally.  :coolblue:
Member 4721

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 10:20:12 AM »

My kick stand fell off the other day. Had it put back on by a friend, as I know diddily squat about these things  :confused5: Thought all was well until I took her out this afternoon. Now my bike makes such a noise like my engine is going to fall off and I get terrible vibrations in my feet through to my eyes! I assume that the stand was installed wrong and is now rattling against the bottem of the bike. I've looked for a diagram of my stand online but have found nothing. :nixweiss:
Can anyone help me out as the stealers aren't open on Sundays, and I want to ride tomorrow.

Is the rubber bumper still attached to the kickstand, or did it come off when the kickstand fell off?   :nixweiss:  It would be hard to install a kickstand wrong.....but then again, I've never seen one fall off either...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Janine

• FXDSE2
  • Elite CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 12:53:35 PM »

Is the rubber bumper still attached to the kickstand, or did it come off when the kickstand fell off?   :nixweiss:  It would be hard to install a kickstand wrong.....but then again, I've never seen one fall off either...

No rubber at all. Will just have to wait to go to the dealer sometime this week. Sucks!!!! :( The weather is perfect today.  
Member 4721

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 01:28:33 PM »

No rubber at all. Will just have to wait to go to the dealer sometime this week. Sucks!!!! :( The weather is perfect today.  
I'm feeling your pain.  YOu could roll her outside and put a good polishing on her and have everyone wondering why you're not riding. ;)  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 01:43:43 PM »

I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time), but I don't think the Dyna jiffy stand has a bumper actually attached to it like the Touring models.  It's on the frame, and the stand just rests against it when it's in the "up" position.  Have someone hold the bike upright, fold the stand up, and look for contact between it and the frame.  If there is no rubber bumper still on the frame rail, you can fabricate something out of a piece of garden hose or something similar and glue it in place until you get to the dealer for the correct part.  If I remember correctly, I made my own on my '99 Dyna after the original fell off and it was still working just fine several years later when I sold the bike.  Sorry, but I couldn't find any pictures or drawings.

Jerry

Edit:  OK, I was actually right and my memory isn't totally shot yet.  I'm attaching a pic of the frame mounted bumper that snaps over the frame rail.  If it's missing, that is what's causing your noise and vibration.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 02:02:45 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Janine

• FXDSE2
  • Elite CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 08:23:56 PM »

Yup. That rubber was there, Jerry. Just not where the foot was hitting the frame. Also, since there wasn't a bolt available that fit, a threaded rod was used w/nuts on the ends. One nut was hitting against the engine casing(or should I say the engine casing was hitting against the nut). That might account for the vibrations. Hubby fixed her up for me and I had a nice ride to end my weekend.

Thanks all for the info.  :2vrolijk_21:
Member 4721

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 08:41:13 PM »

Great !!  ;) :2vrolijk_21: spyder

Shovelhead

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FXDSE, SERT, SE Heavy Breather, V & H Big Radius 2 into 1, S&S 585 gear-driven cams, Rivera tapered adjustable pushrods, H-D Oil cooler, Baker DD7, SE Compensator, SOHB Wedge Tensioner
.....started off having a great day this morning,had not been lied to or treated like a fool, then I visited an H-D dealer service dept

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 05:31:28 PM »

Yup. That rubber was there, Jerry. Just not where the foot was hitting the frame. Also, since there wasn't a bolt available that fit, a threaded rod was used w/nuts on the ends. One nut was hitting against the engine casing(or should I say the engine casing was hitting against the nut). That might account for the vibrations. Hubby fixed her up for me and I had a nice ride to end my weekend.

Thanks all for the info.  :2vrolijk_21:

Congrats on figuring it out and resolving the issue!   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 21 queries.