Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Author Topic: COMPENSATOR ABUSE???  (Read 37423 times)

SIX38

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 Ultra Classic Ruby Red / Maroon (traded in)
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Mako Fade
Re: COMPENSATOR ABUSE???
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2011, 04:34:12 PM »

Hello Dan,
 Simply put, the tension of the Belville washers in the stock compensator is too weak and allows the compensator to move to its travel stop  easily. That allows shock forces from the drive train to be transfered to the crankshaft instead of being absorbed by the compensator. As we know that is the last thing we want to do to our fragile pressed crankshaft /flywheel assemblies. It also results in a fair amount of noise, roughness in shifting, and shock loads to the starter  during starting.The SE compensator has much more robust washer springs that are properly sized for the job the compensator is designed to do. Another HD design screw-up that many of us had to correct on our own dollar!
 well worth the effort though.
 Photo shows new SE washers on the left, stock washer on right inside stator cover. BIG difference in size.
Tom P.

SIX38

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2011, 04:38:58 PM »

This photo shows the stock compensator with a lot of wear at the point of full travel. Only 3000 miles on this part so it indicates a lot occurrences of the compensator not compensating.
Tom P.

SIX38

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2011, 04:41:17 PM »

Lots of wear and starting to mushroom on the other part of the compensator.
Tom P.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2011, 05:03:08 PM »

Dan, it is NOT abuse by the rider that causes the problem.  No way, no how, uh uh.  If someone is telling you that, he is jerking your chain or flat out lying.  The problem is poor design that did not meet the requirements of even the standard TC96, much less the higher torque 110.  Insufficient spring tension, insufficient travel, insufficient torque capacity. And it only took H-D five years to change all the bikes to the higher capacity SE design, after trying to pass off all the problems the old design caused as "Normal".  They knew better very early on, as evidenced by the '08 release of the SE compensator.

Jerry

BTW, the reason some bikes exhibit problems from the beginning, others only after some miles, and some none SO FAR, is rooted in the variability of the parts.  Early on it was found that the stock spring packs in the old style weren't consistent and the tension varied a great deal.  Some of the early fixes involved adding a spring to the pack, which seemed to eliminate some symptoms.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 05:09:30 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2011, 10:41:24 PM »

Dan, it is NOT abuse by the rider that causes the problem.  No way, no how, uh uh.  If someone is telling you that, he is jerking your chain or flat out lying.  The problem is poor design that did not meet the requirements of even the standard TC96, much less the higher torque 110.  Insufficient spring tension, insufficient travel, insufficient torque capacity. And it only took H-D five years to change all the bikes to the higher capacity SE design, after trying to pass off all the problems the old design caused as "Normal".  They knew better very early on, as evidenced by the '08 release of the SE compensator.

Jerry

BTW, the reason some bikes exhibit problems from the beginning, others only after some miles, and some none SO FAR, is rooted in the variability of the parts.  Early on it was found that the stock spring packs in the old style weren't consistent and the tension varied a great deal.  Some of the early fixes involved adding a spring to the pack, which seemed to eliminate some symptoms.

Jerry, sorry, I wasn't implying that guys were "trying" to tear up their compensators, but only trying to get my head around what we might be doing that is killing these stock 110" CVO compensators.  I for one would try to avoid those conditions if I knew what they were.

I appreciate the input a lot.  I've had my shovelhead compensator apart and there were signs of major ramp wear on them too.  But that was after about 60k miles and about 30 years of riding.

Thanks again everyone...
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

lv2ride56

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2011, 11:23:22 PM »

Your "stock" and the SE are one and the same. It was older bikes that had the problem with the stock comps>
Patriot Guard Rider

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2011, 11:25:36 PM »

Your "stock" and the SE are one and the same. It was older bikes that had the problem with the stock comps>

As of 09 to the present, I believe....  The 07's and 08's came stock with a poorly engineered compensator...  The "SE" compensator was an optional purchase starting in 08.
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2011, 12:23:36 PM »

As of 09 to the present, I believe....  The 07's and 08's came stock with a poorly engineered compensator...  The "SE" compensator was an optional purchase starting in 08.

Yup..combine poor engineering, low grade material, installation discrepancies and you got a winner for losing.  Nothing new about it. :confused5:

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2011, 03:34:18 PM »

I believe that to be true except that I think it was on the '10 CVO's that the SE compensator became standard issue.  I thought I read on hear that some of the '09 SERG guys had to upgrade to the SE because of starter kick back and noise issues.  Some paid and some got it free.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2011, 08:09:43 PM »

I believe that to be true except that I think it was on the '10 CVO's that the SE compensator became standard issue.  I thought I read on hear that some of the '09 SERG guys had to upgrade to the SE because of starter kick back and noise issues.  Some paid and some got it free.

Actually, that sounds right...  I think it was 2010...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2011, 08:45:37 PM »

Actually, that sounds right...  I think it was 2010...

That's correct.  09 SEUC (for example) still had the 40296-06 compensator.  2010 SEUC got the 83something-09 "SE" compensator.

fatboybern

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2011, 12:25:43 AM »

not sure exactly what the origanal one looks like yet but rode my friends bike the down shifting was silent compared to mine both same 09 touring models said the comp improved the down shifting makes no sense to me as a seasoned tech myself but i did buy one anyways as i will be changing to a 30 tooth any ways i also heard the se sprocket has a very slight ratio difference wont no till i get her apart but all a compensator is is a dampner to prevent shock loads to your drive line and crank it works on a spring and ramp much like a snowmobile clutch more ramp more tension thus dampening shock load if you veer from a stock engine and apply much more torque and hp thus you will have more shock loading the stock may not hold up to this extra abuse and by the way just incase any one is wondering a bellville spring is quite reliable actually they exist in many auto applications in your transmissions it is just a different type of spring that is all has been around for years and harley didnt invent it they only use it

Zinister

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2011, 08:48:47 PM »

Just my 2 cents but I would guess that hard downshifting is the worst case. I don't think these motors can produce the same forces during acceleration.

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2011, 11:06:13 AM »

Just replaced mine on the 09 with 12,000 miles. New SE part make quite a bit of difference. Man the MotoCo sure passes on a bunch of junk.

Mike

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
COMPENSATOR ABUSE???
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2011, 01:31:14 PM »

Just replaced mine on the 09 with 12,000 miles. New SE part make quite a bit of difference. Man the MotoCo sure passes on a bunch of junk.

Mike

Just did mine as well- the studdering and chugging in first gear is gone.
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 21 queries.