Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Author Topic: COMPENSATOR ABUSE???  (Read 37491 times)

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
Re: An alternative to Harley's crappy compensator
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2015, 04:44:39 AM »

I know that the biggest concern about not using the stock Harley compensator is the crankshaft.  Some very knowledgeable guys here have pointed out that the stock crankshaft is not as durable as it needs to be, and the whole point of the compensator is to be a sacrificial piece to prevent the crank from scissoring due to excess torque.  Basically, the compensators are supposed to wear out in order to protect the crankshaft, and having to replace them is the price we have to pay to ride a 110 inch Harley.  They have a very good point. 

I found the following article that explained why the crank may not be the issue, after all:

http://www.thunderpress.net/editorial/columnists/motorhead-memo-getting-cranky/2013/08/21.htm

This article basically says that the stock HD crankshafts are actually pretty good, strong designs, and the increased allowances for crank runout are not due to decreased quality standards.  The higher allowances for runout are actually part of the design that eliminated the outer cam plate bearing and allows for the crank to flex (at least that's my understanding... I may be mistaken).

The crankshafts will still benefit from welding and truing, especially in highly modified motors, but the real culprit for the crankshaft failures is the ratcheting primary chain tensioner, not the poor quality of the cranks.  Those tensioners often ratchet up so tightly that the crank is stressed, and they get locked in that position.  This may be what causes all the crank failures, not the compensator. 

The answer is to get rid of that poorly designed tensioner and replace it with something like the Hayden M6 tensioner.  I think it's a smart idea to replace the HD primary chain tensioner at the first primary fluid change.  Then using a compensator like the BDL CS-34a shouldn't be any more likely to cause crank failure than the stock compensator.

If I ever get another Harley with the current compensator design, I won't hesitate to replace it with a BDL compensator (and the Hayden tensioner).  It has made a huge difference in the driveline noise from the crappy HD comp, and it has already lasted 2-3 times longer than the stock HD comps on my bikes.  I'm curious to see how long it actually lasts.

Thoughts and opinions?

Dan

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #61 on: October 31, 2015, 09:28:49 AM »

Dan I believe I've read elsewhere on this forum that you've gone through several comps in a few miles.  What mods do you have done to your motor?

Just curious.

28k miles on my 13 CVO Ultra Classic and I just had Jim change the lifters as preventative measure but no comp issues.  Now I sure hope I didn't just jinx myself. :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #62 on: October 31, 2015, 09:47:29 AM »

Where can I find descriptive information on the BDL design?

BDL's website doesn't show or say anything but a picture.
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: COMPENSATOR ABUSE???
« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2015, 10:04:06 AM »

Here's their FAQs page.....   http://beltdrives.com/tech-tips-and-faqs

Don't really see anything that has a more specific descriptitve information....might want to contact them directly.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2015, 04:44:20 PM »

im on #3 but the last one was the improved one with the oil tray. Seems fine now. Easy to change but they cost a bunch.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2015, 11:37:38 AM »

Here is the reference on BDL's website to "Chain Compensators".

http://beltdrives.com/products/chain-drive-compensators

The first two just look like a solid sprocket and the third one is patented and "may" have some sort of spring effect.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2015, 02:37:25 PM »

Here is the reference on BDL's website to "Chain Compensators".

http://beltdrives.com/products/chain-drive-compensators

The first two just look like a solid sprocket and the third one is patented and "may" have some sort of spring effect.

Dan, the CS-34a has two teflon spacers that are compressed when torque is high enough, and the compressor screws down tighter.  When torque is applied in the opposite direction (deceleration), the comp unscrews, releasing the spacers.  I truly have no idea how much protection this offers, because I don't know how much torque is required to compress the spacers. 

As far as longevity, all I can say is what the tech at BDL told me, which you can take with a grain of salt.  They've been selling these comps for 5-6 years, and he says that they sell very few replacement spacers.  He has been using their comp for 5 years on his Harley, and hasn't had any issues.  Unfortunately, this is all anecdotal.  I wish they had some empirical evidence to support their claims.

I wish some of the experts here (Fullsac?  Metal Dragon?) would do some testing with these!

Dan

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2015, 03:08:12 PM »

Hey, JC,

On the '12 Street Glide, the first comp was bad at about 5000 miles.  At that point, just a pipe and fuel controller.  At that time, Jim at Metal Dragon installed cams and a 30t front sprocket.  The next compensator was shot and replaced at about 12,00 miles, when I put in a 113 kit.  I traded in the Street Glide at 20k, and the compensator was bad again.

On the new Ultra, by 5000 miles the compensator was clunking worse than I've ever seen, so I decided to try the BDL.  So far, I'm at 20,000 miles, and it's working perfectly.  That's 15,000 miles, which is a record for me with compensators!

I'd also like to know why I'm so hard on compensators.  I drove aggressively with the SG, but I've been babying the Ultra, and it hasn't made any difference.  I do an awful lot of riding in the mountains - Big Bear, Idyllwild, the Angeles Crest - and I'm wondering if that's the problem?  But I'm just cruising like an old man, not tearing up the roads...

Dan

hrdtail78

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2015, 12:36:00 PM »

http://www.bikernet.com/pages/BIKERNET_THURSDAY_NEWS_FOR_JULY_1ST.aspx

About halfway down there is a better pic that shows the threads.

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '08 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: '96 Heritage Softail Classic
    • CVO3: '14 Indian Chief Vintage
« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2015, 11:52:20 AM »

I've got a 2008 with 124,000 miles; I've gone thru 4 comps, the latest with the "improved" lube method with the glue-on plastic thingy.  It clunks when shut off but starting is fine (starting is when I've had issues before - grinding, etc.).  This one now has 22,000 miles and still going okay.  I don't understand why HD has had some many comp issues.  My Kaw I had, 125 cube motor, never had a comp issue and was going strong when I sold it at 75k to buy a new Indian (which, at 20,000) has no comp issues.

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #70 on: November 12, 2015, 11:36:32 AM »

Wish I hadn't seen this thread. As soon I read it mine started clunking again. I cant get one to last 5,000 miles. And yes its modified, 124 with a procharger. But I don't ride it very hard. No burnouts and such. But I'm sick of this, the "new" SE part didn't last any longer than the rest. Not sure what I'm going to do now.

BigLew

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #71 on: November 12, 2015, 01:18:13 PM »

Just don't try the Evo Industries unit as it's just a gear with no comp assembly. Yes the dealer tried that back when my 07 comp failed. Fine through town but 50 and above put my arms and legs to sleep quickly. So end result was install the first redo of the comp and no more vibs.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #72 on: November 12, 2015, 02:14:29 PM »

Just don't try the Evo Industries unit as it's just a gear with no comp assembly. Yes the dealer tried that back when my 07 comp failed. Fine through town but 50 and above put my arms and legs to sleep quickly. So end result was install the first redo of the comp and no more vibs.

PM sent
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #73 on: November 12, 2015, 02:28:51 PM »

Pm sent back to you.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #74 on: November 12, 2015, 10:13:06 PM »

Is that clunk on cold start up?   That is when my cluck is the loudest.     :nixweiss:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Page created in 0.8 seconds with 22 queries.