Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Author Topic: COMPENSATOR ABUSE???  (Read 37480 times)

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
Re: COMPENSATOR ABUSE???
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2011, 07:13:11 AM »

not a new compensator, just changing part numbers. so far no change
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2011, 04:48:27 PM »

I have an 07 CUSE with 24k miles. This summer it's started to kick back when starting. After a pause of a second or two it always fires right up. From reading this thread and others it sounds like the compensator is beginning to fail. If that's the case, and I have it replaced will it be covered by the ESP and will the upgrade to the SE Comp be automatic? 
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2011, 04:57:31 PM »

I have an 07 CUSE with 24k miles. This summer it's started to kick back when starting. After a pause of a second or two it always fires right up. From reading this thread and others it sounds like the compensator is beginning to fail. If that's the case, and I have it replaced will it be covered by the ESP and will the upgrade to the SE Comp be automatic?  

No!

But you should only have to pay your dealer the difference.

Good luck.

If you plan on keeping the bike it is worth the extra cost.

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2011, 08:10:14 AM »

The non se style of comp assembly has been discontinued and is no longer available. It has superceeded to the se version so yes you will get the upgrade for free.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2011, 03:45:48 PM »

Jim. the "old" style is still available because the SE version only works on 06+ Dyna's, 07+ softails, & 07-10 touring ( standard beyond that). they call it the rotor spring assembly.
whether its factory warranty or esp, the customer can be charge the difference, about 140.00.
some dealers will let not even tell you that you can upgrade
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 03:48:25 PM by LarryB »
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2011, 05:19:08 PM »

Sorry Larry, I like HD-DUDE's response better. What's your advice on how to handle this conversation with rhe servicing dealer?  I take it there in November every year for storage and service. I have the ESP for 2 more years. Should I insist on starter and clutch also?

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2011, 07:51:48 PM »

Sorry Larry, I like HD-DUDE's response better. What's your advice on how to handle this conversation with rhe servicing dealer?  I take it there in November every year for storage and service. I have the ESP for 2 more years. Should I insist on starter and clutch also?
More about the "starter clutch" than the starter and clutch. They probably won't replace it unless its starting to go. However, they should check the clutch plates, etc., and clutch basket "hub" for wear as a few of us have striped (partially or totally) ours out. They should also check the inner bearing and see if it is walking. Replace it with a 1 piece Baker if it is.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2011, 12:54:07 PM »

Jim. the "old" style is still available because the SE version only works on 06+ Dyna's, 07+ softails, & 07-10 touring ( standard beyond that). they call it the rotor spring assembly.
whether its factory warranty or esp, the customer can be charge the difference, about 140.00.
some dealers will let not even tell you that you can upgrade

The compensator assembly part number 40296-06A is discontinued and pending obsolete. The replacement is the SE unit part number 40274-08A. We have done two of these in the last month on the ESP with only the $50 deductable to the customer.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 12:58:59 PM by hd-dude »

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2011, 02:00:47 PM »

Find one that's honest with you up front or find an independant that is.

Roger has pointed out other issues that also need to be checked at the same time.  I know that a number of us here in Nor Cal had the whole clutch basket, clutch plates and all go at the same time.  We all use an independant and he always shows us our parts (actually, he trys to give us our parts to lighten his trash load  :)) so there's no secrets.....you know first hand. :2vrolijk_21:  It's just a whole lot different when you can talk face to face with the person doing the work vs. talking face to face with a service writer.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2011, 02:25:00 PM »

It's just a whole lot different when you can talk face to face with the person doing the work vs. talking face to face with a service writer.

:2vrolijk_21:

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2011, 03:57:42 PM »

All good advice guys. Thanks again. I think I'm in the infancy of a failure. Its unlikely I'll do more than 500 more miles before it goes to the dealer for service and storage during the winter.

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2011, 10:04:19 AM »

This is odd.......  They took it apart and there was damage to the clutch basket and the starter clutch but said there was nothing wrong with the compensator.  I told them I didn't want them to put the old compensator back in and to upgrade it to the SE.  The part is $249 minus 15% and I paid the $50 ESP copay.  Now I'm looking forward to riding it to see the difference.  I was disappointed that the comp sprocket wasn't covered but all in all it wasn't horribly expensive to upgrade it.

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
An alternative to Harley's crappy compensator
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2015, 03:20:03 AM »

I've been using the BDL CS-34a compensator for 15,000 miles on my '13 Ultra FLHTCUSE8, and it works great. 

After only 5000 miles on my '13 Ultra, my compensator was shot.  It would clunk when starting and shutting down.  Every time I opened or closed the throttle, there were driveline lash/rattles and clunks, and it sounded and felt like the driveline was falling apart.  It really was affecting the enjoyment of riding, and I knew from my previous bike (replaced 2 compensators in 20,000 miles) it was the compensator again.

Instead of putting in another POS Harley comp, I found BDL, and decided to try their comp.  Installation was a breeze.  The unit was much lighter and simpler than the Harley unit, and it appeared to be very robust.  And, it was significantly cheaper than the HD compensator.  After I installed it, the difference was amazing, and it has been working like a charm since.  The clunking and sloppiness disappeared and the driveline has been consistently smooth and quiet for 15,000 miles.  I can't say empirically that the driveline is tighter and functioning better, but it sure as hell feels and sounds better.  And so far, it has lasted longer than any compensator I've had on my last two bikes.

Until Harley redesigns their compensator, I think it is a waste of time to throw money away buying their current lousy compensator design.  The BDL CS-34a is a much better alternative, IMO.

Dan

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member

Re: An alternative to Harley's crappy compensator
« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2015, 03:42:53 AM »

This is what my Dimple magnetic drain plug looked like with the stock HD compensator:

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member

Re: An alternative to Harley's crappy compensator
« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2015, 03:47:52 AM »

With the BDL compensator:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 22 queries.