Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bushtec trailer insurance  (Read 796 times)

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
Bushtec trailer insurance
« on: June 16, 2011, 12:07:32 PM »

Got to thinking about insurance for the Bushtec.  Does the my bike or home owners policy cover the trailer or do I need a separate policy?  Progressive says the bike policy doesn't cover it but I'm not sure the young lady I was talking with knew what she was talking about.
 :nixweiss:

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

hogasm

Re: Bushtec trailer insurance
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 12:28:35 PM »

Couple of years ago I requested a insurance audit

I wanted to know what was and was not covered
One truck was set up to cover a trailer while pulling it, but not the payload.
Another truck was set up to cover the trailer and payload but if it came unhooked it did not cover anything that was damaged by it

bike had to have a rider to cover the trailer but not the contents....another rider to cover contents

After the audit I ended up having better coverage for my situation and saved about 20K a year

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 02:22:18 PM »

I have had Foremost insurance for several years but pretty sure it was the same with Dairyland and Progressive when I was with them.  The trailer is covered as a 'optional equipment.'  Most motorcycle policies offer a minimum amount of coverage ($3,500 by Foremost) and you can purchase additional for a price.  But here is the rub:  the maximum amount (with Foremost anyway) is $7,500 and this is for the Bushtec and all the goodies that have been added to the bike.  My cost to increase the coverage to $7,500 is only $26 per year.  For a stock bike, well maybe no problem.  But for those of us who have added a lot to our bikes it is not sufficient.  But then again the changes of having a total loss to both the bike and the trailer are small.  Worst case is that both were stolen.  Then the $7,500 would not be enough.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

OhioDave

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 03:00:17 PM »

State Farm says that mine is covered by the bike insurance while towing, and by the homeowners while parked in the garage.

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 08:32:08 AM »

Got to thinking about insurance for the Bushtec.  Does the my bike or home owners policy cover the trailer or do I need a separate policy?  Progressive says the bike policy doesn't cover it but I'm not sure the young lady I was talking with knew what she was talking about.
 :nixweiss:

Curious if she quoted you a separate coverage for your trailer and if so what is the coverage and cost?  :nixweiss:

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 09:01:47 AM »

Curious if she quoted you a separate coverage for your trailer and if so what is the coverage and cost?  :nixweiss:

No, I didn't get a guote for the trailer.

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 21 queries.