Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Edmonton Alberta noise bylaw  (Read 717 times)

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
Edmonton Alberta noise bylaw
« on: June 14, 2011, 12:31:58 AM »

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

rganz

• Senior CVO Member
  • Do Unto Others----First

• CVO1: 09 SERG
    • CVO2: Fat Boy
Re: Edmonton Alberta noise bylaw
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 08:58:00 AM »

The interesting part is the comments below the article. Sheesh there is really some thinkers out there, and they walk among us :'( :'(

I personally think that if you put in a noise bylaw it should apply to all ...period.

At least it will be quiet in the Murder Capital of Canada though............ ::)

Rob
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 09:01:30 AM by rganz »
Rob

bribe36

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SERG

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 08:55:12 AM »

You do realize that 92 dba at idle is very loud, right?  I'd guess that unless you prefer straight drag pipes or totally gutted mufflers, it shouldn't be that tough to meet that limit.  And unless that officer can run really fast with that meter, I haven't quite figured out how they plan to measure for the 96 dba at WOT under load, so that one I don't think I'd worry about either.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

rganz

• Senior CVO Member
  • Do Unto Others----First

• CVO1: 09 SERG
    • CVO2: Fat Boy
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 11:07:26 AM »

Jerry
I think they have been making their own rules as they go. Heard 10 tickets have been tossed already due to unreliable test methods.

Rob
Rob

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 03:20:56 PM »

Jerry
I think they have been making their own rules as they go. Heard 10 tickets have been tossed already due to unreliable test methods.

Rob

That is usually what trips up most of the genius types that come up with these local laws, poor test methods that tend to be very hard to defend in a court of law.  That's one reason some places in the US tried to require stock mufflers with the EPA compliance info stamped into the muffler; no testing required, just a small mirror to check for the labeling.  Of course, there are still a lot of legal issues with that one as well, and so far I don't know of any that have been upheld.

There definitely needs to be a way to control the obnoxious folks (that includes bikes, cars, trucks, big thumping stereo's, etc.), but very few noise ordinances I've ever seen are actually enforced.  As long as the various purveyors of aftermarket equipment are allowed to just put a "Racing or Off-Road Use Only" disclaimer on their stuff that they know damned well is being put on street machines, nothing will change.  We have widespread tampering with emission systems, including sound emissions, and no one seems to care until it's their neighbor out there keeping the neighborhood awake at 3:00 am with his unmuffled bike or car, his 1000 watt stereo, or his fireworks for example.  Since the law frowns on us regular folks shooting jackasses, even with undeniably compelling reasons, what's next?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 07:14:05 PM »

I've heard rumour of the same city noise by-laws coming to Port Dover, Ontario (home of the Friday the 13th rallies), and other towns in the Hamilton and Kitchener/Waterloo area. I haven't checked to verify this though, but that is what I was told.

Many cities in the US have had these types of noise by laws for quite some time- guess it was only a matter of time for us.
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 22 queries.