Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: primary fluid in motor oil????  (Read 3710 times)

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
primary fluid in motor oil????
« on: May 17, 2006, 08:33:47 PM »

Ok I've had this bike for 18 years & am a certified wrench...after many miles-thinking and inspections it seems somehow my primary oil is getting into the motor somehow...for every 700 miles I need a quart of primary fluid,,,no leaks on the bike other then after sitting a few weeks it pukes out oil through the breather ( a good amount) and oil tank is always(to the rim) so I am not crazy for I know its impossible but it is happining to me,,,happen to anyone else? it is a 1986 softail custom(frist year for the custom)
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide
1962 panhead rigid/chopper

RedFXR2

Re: primary fluid in motor oil????
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 10:47:50 PM »

I'm sort of embarrassed to refer you to another board from here but this problem was discussed at length a while back over on the VTwin forum:

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71529

Seems it turned out to be a bearing seal in the primary.  Apparently there's a TSB from 1990 that deals with it.

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 06:44:46 PM »

thanks bro,answered all my questions...thanks for the info and this site!!..ride-on
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 10:21:18 PM »

Check your vent as well.  Her serg did the same after it sat a little bit.  Turned out the breather/vent was plugging up.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 09:18:29 PM »

well took the primary apart and found no cracks till i aplied a torch to the steel sleeve..the mystery is solved..cracks apiered all around the sleeve...the h-d moco said there was a recall between 84 to 90 but I would have to pay for new cases....since its a 93 inch s&s setup in harley cases I will get a new set of s&s cases...h-d also said they had seen sleeves completly break apart from the case and destroy the motor...
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 21 queries.