Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: 2011 Softail Convertible for touring??  (Read 6108 times)

myanoch

• Junior CVO Member
    • IN

• CVO1: 2011 cvo softail convertible
Re: 2011 Softail Convertible for touring??
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2011, 02:04:29 PM »

I have run the bike up to 98 mph and ran at 80 for some time and felt no vibrations
I relly belive the bike is good
Did replace winshild to a 19" high one
and added win deflectors sine its purchase
before that the wind would cut my face in half
Mike

chywy

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2011, 11:12:57 PM »

The owner's manual should give you tire pressures for your bike..if they only give one pressure for loaded/unloaded, then just go with that.  There used to be a different pressure for loaded/unloaded, but on my current bike, they are the same.  If possible, I try to keep the heavier stuff in the saddlebags to keep the center of gravity as low as possible.  Anything hanging off the back of the bike is going to effect handling to some extent, but a loaded TP and a bag on the luggage rack has never been that big a deal on the baggers, other than lifting it off the kickstand.  None of us would ever dream of exceeding the recommended weights in the bags or luggage rack  ::) ::)  Just keep the suspension from bottoming out in back and you should be fine.

Thanks for the thoughts - I was thinking the opposite would be true and was prepared to put the majority of my weight on the backrest - thinking that the bike would handle like I had a heavy passenger and that if I overloaded the saddlebags I would be affecting the steering and cornering more so than if the weight was centered on the bike - but thinking about it - if the bags are equally weighted - I would be maintaining a lower CG.  Thanks for the tip.

CHYWY

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2011, 12:34:19 PM »

Thanks for the thoughts - I was thinking the opposite would be true and was prepared to put the majority of my weight on the backrest - thinking that the bike would handle like I had a heavy passenger and that if I overloaded the saddlebags I would be affecting the steering and cornering more so than if the weight was centered on the bike - but thinking about it - if the bags are equally weighted - I would be maintaining a lower CG.  Thanks for the tip.

CHYWY

Yea, when my BSR and I travel, I get one saddlebag and she gets one...in mine, I put my tool pouch, tire repair kit, ditty bag (shampoo, shaving stuff, etc), an extra pair of jeans...all of the heavier clothes that I can stuff in there.  My BSR does the same, putting her beauty care products and heavier clothing in her bag.  There is bound to be some overflow into the TP or in your case, the rack bag, depending on the length of the trip.  If you have a rack bag that is nice and stable on the rack, and think of loading it like you would a backpack...heavier stuff on the bottom of the bag...you should be good to go.  If I'm on the road more than 5-6 days, I'll generally find a laundry place and spend a couple of hours washing/drying clothes.  In hot weather, that's more of an issue...in colder weather, I just wear stuff more than once.  Traveling on a bike is a lot like backpacking...you quickly learn what you really need and don't need, and pare down to necessary stuff.  Getting the BSR to not take stuff she thinks she can't live without is usually the issue... ;)
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Mach

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2011, 01:03:12 PM »

FYI, I have the XL http://bikersfriend.com/pages/bagsize.htm I have not used this on my New bike yet, just don't do what I did.  When the bike was on the stand and leaning I opened the down side and all my crap fell out.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 21 queries.