Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Grinding at start  (Read 1592 times)

06BadBoy

• 2006 FLHTCUSE
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE, 4" Rhineharts, SERT
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
Grinding at start
« on: June 26, 2011, 03:29:48 PM »

When the bike is cold the starter works fine. But if I have it off while still hot (like at the gas station) I sometimes get a grinding at starter engagement. Is my solenoid getting ready to fail completely? Can the starter solenoid on a '06 be replaced or does the whole starter have to go?

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Grinding at start
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 04:32:28 PM »

06badboy, if its grinding its probly not your solenoid. my guess is the starter clutch. which can be damaged by
acr's being turned off or damaged in some way. there my be a recall on the acr's.  axil
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 04:39:02 PM »

I had the same problem with my starter.    Pretty embarrassing too.  At 42 k miles I was told by many that I did pretty good on the original.  So I did replace the starter with a chrome HD.   It's beef fine ever since.  That was 24k miles ago.   Probably time for a nice new one.  :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 05:46:33 PM by cvostu »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 04:48:25 PM »

When the bike is cold the starter works fine. But if I have it off while still hot (like at the gas station) I sometimes get a grinding at starter engagement. Is my solenoid getting ready to fail completely? Can the starter solenoid on a '06 be replaced or does the whole starter have to go?

More likely to be the starter drive clutch slipping.  And yes, it is something that can be replaced.  Harley sells a kit that includes the one way clutch, output shaft, and spring for about $115 (P/N 31516-94); or for less than half the price you can buy just the one way clutch on various web sites or ebay.  Usually all you need is the clutch itself.  A complete new starter will run about $430 for the black one, so unless the actual motor itself is shot it's much more cost effective to repair versus replace.

I recently replaced the starter clutch on my '05, which uses the same starter as your '06, and I spent $45 including shipping on ebay for the part.  That plus a quart of fluid for the primary (you have to remove the outer primary cover to remove the jackshaft bolt before removing the starter), plus a few hours of my time, and I've got a starter that works better than it did new, hot or cold. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 05:49:05 PM »

Jerry. You are the best.    I really did want the chrome starter.  So I went for it.  Just sayin.   :)

06BadBoy

• 2006 FLHTCUSE
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE, 4" Rhineharts, SERT
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 11:18:37 PM »

Thats very interesting. So how would the heat affect this mechanism since it only appears to do it while hot/warm?

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 06:28:12 AM »

the engine has more compression when it's hot.   axil
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 06:40:25 AM »

What kinda' shape is the battery in??
Load test?? :)
Scott

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 21 queries.