Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 2011 BCM Body Control Module Recall (Specifically) who's done it so far????  (Read 6473 times)

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3

This is to pinpoint the problem, (recognized by the MoCo and recall notices sent out late in February 2011), and see how many of our members out there have had this taken care of???  I have been sitting on the fence until now.  I didn't realize how much of a problem it might be but a month ago I came back from Portland in an evening rain storm and I recall the engine cutting out just a little once or twice.  After reading about another member's experiences and that replacing the BCM remedied their problems, I feel it is time I had it taken care of.  Once you get water in the unit it may be some time before it truly dries out and one may experience issues until it does.  But we wash our bikes, right?  I also have had problems with the fuel light coming on, what I consider early, but it is actually just about 1 gallon of gas left.  Have had a number of times when it said the fob was out of range, etc. when I am sitting on the bike with it in my pocket.  also my bike is usually telling my the fuel range is somewhere in the 170 range.  Lately, it just does not seem to be running as smooth as it did at least until my trip to Portland so I think it is time to get it changed.  How many other people out there have this issue with their '11 Convertible??  Also, is it just the Convertible, or have others received the same notice for other models as well?   Let's get those hands up................  Remember, it's people helping people..........no bike is perfect..........for long, anyway   :-)....  Pork
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 04:55:58 PM by porkypig »

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
Re: Body Control Module Recall, per se who's done it????
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 06:30:29 AM »

Had mine done.

My bike was cutting out while leaving the curb or a stop sign or just a very slow entry through an intersection. This was happening prior to the recall. Then it cut out one day while trying to enter a traffic circle (with a lot of traffic) and my wife on the back and it wouldn't refire right away. Needless to say my wife was scared chitless. I called up the dealer and told them to get a fix or come get it. Lots of head scratching and then two weeks later we have a recall.

The good side...... seems to have fixed the cutting out.

The bad side...... The tech that did the work somehow turned the security system off, dumb azz didn't even know it. And, I didn't know it until I was at Bike week with no security!! and no dealer had time to mess with it without leaving it for three days. Also, while riding home from having the recall done I seemed to be sliding around on my seat. I thought.... somethings not right, I stopped, the pass. pilion nut was ready to fall off and both nuts for the seat were ready to fall off. Now I don't want to take it back for anything.
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

brr5

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 flstse2
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 10:07:42 AM »

Hey Pork-
Had mine done at the 1500  8) mile check. No issues though before changing it. Now every once in awhile I have the no fob in range issue-enter pin number comes on.

Thinking of coming through Billings this year?
Bob

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 11:27:22 AM »

Had mine done.

Now I don't want to take it back for anything.
Yes, I certainly can identify with you on that one.  I am to the point that I don't want to take my bike in for anything except what I absolutely cannot do myself.  Then I prefer to watch them like a hawk but then that makes people nervous as well.  These techs go to school and supposedly learn all this stuff about our bikes except how to keep all the parts together and how to tell owners, "oops, I broke this or oops, I damaged this."  Instead, it seems to be a policy of just "owner, beware". 
Bob, yes, I will be coming thru Billings about the 8th of August or so on my anual trek to Sturgis.  Haven't firmed up my itinerary just yet.   Pork.

2smoke

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 Softail Convertible
    • CVO2: 2012 Softail Convertible

Pork,

I got a 2010 and I did not receive any recall notice.  Is this just a 2011 issue as far as you know?  My bike has never showed any signs of the symptoms you guys are talking about.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2

Pork,

I got a 2010 and I did not receive any recall notice.  Is this just a 2011 issue as far as you know?  My bike has never showed any signs of the symptoms you guys are talking about.

See the attachment (click on it to enlarge).

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

It would appear it is only for certain bikes of the 2011 breed of Softail Convertible.  Can someone confirm for me which part is this?  Is it the 4 x 5" finned black module right under the seat that bolts to the rear fender and just unplugs??  If so, I started the process this am to get mine replaced.  First they have to check my vin number to see if it has already been replaced (???) and then schedule it to be done.  Hopefully it is a quick fix.  Pork.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

It would appear it is only for certain bikes of the 2011 breed of Softail Convertible.  Can someone confirm for me which part is this?  Is it the 4 x 5" finned black module right under the seat that bolts to the rear fender and just unplugs??  If so, I started the process this am to get mine replaced.  First they have to check my vin number to see if it has already been replaced (???) and then schedule it to be done.  Hopefully it is a quick fix.  Pork.

I think you're looking at the ECM.  The attachment shows what the BCM looks like and where it's mounted, as well as what it controls.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

oh, ok.  Looks like it is just behind the battery in that area.  I noticed there are only about 3 fuses in the entire bike.  that is because of some new wiring system on the 2011 that lets them individual components continue to operate when there is an otherwise major problem.  And that helps explain why this recall only affects the 2011 model because they didn't start this new wiring system until this year. 
But it does raise a question of how it could get to be a problem.  they just say it could allow water to get past the seal.  I spray water directly in that area whenever I wash the bike.  Then I dry it off with an Air Force Blower.  However, if the water already got inside, I guess the blower might now necessarily get it out very well.  Over time, I imagine it could start shorting things out in there and causing chaos.  Or driving down the road in a rainstorm may get air driving it up and around and in that area under the frame/seat and do the same thing.  Guess the fix is replace the unit with a new/sealed one and be done with it. 

dcigar

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLSTSE2
    • CVO2: 1996 FXSTC

although i dont think i have had any problems, i just forwarded this link to the service manager at my dealer , and he has just e-mailed me back that he is ordering the part and will notify me when it arrives.
the only thing i noticed was it cut out a couple of times stoppede at the lights during our summer on a very hot days, just done about 3,000 km.........

:pineapple:

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

The attachment shows what the BCM looks like and where it's mounted, as well as what it controls.

Well, I thought I knew where it is located but can't locate it on my bike and my parts book lists it but doesn't define its location.  Where did you get that picture and do you know exactly where it is located because the picture is not very clear, either.   :-\ :-\ :-\

brr5

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 flstse2

Pork-
Still got my email address?
Let me know when you firm up the dates for Sturgis (can't go this year-PLANNING ON NEXT YEAR THOUGH) and we can meet up.
Bob

Photo of my bro and me on our first ride together last Saturday. His ride is a 06 softail Springer. Went from Great Falls to Helena and back.  :pepper: :pepper:
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 10:13:13 AM by brr5 »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

Well, I thought I knew where it is located but can't locate it on my bike and my parts book lists it but doesn't define its location.  Where did you get that picture and do you know exactly where it is located because the picture is not very clear, either.   :-\ :-\ :-\

Pork, the picture is from the literature Harley puts out to the dealers with the highlights of changes to the various model lines each year, a publication they call the New Model Technical Forum.

I can't say for sure since I don't have the shop manual for that model, but I believe you will find that the BCM is mounted to the same bracket that holds the ECU for the ABS brakes and the siren module for the alarm.  It should be tucked behind the engine and trans and in front of the rear fender splash shield.  Not sure what the best way is to access it, someone with a shop manual should be able to tell you.  Since the recall has to be done by the dealership anyway, why not just let them figure it out and then show you?

Jerry

dcigar

• Senior CVO Member

yesterday afternoon i got an e-mail from chris the service manager at harley city here in melbourne, part is in stock.
he collected the bike at 7-15 this morning on his way to work and will deliver it back at 6-30pm tonight on his way home,
he mentioned that HD  australia should have contacted me by letter, which they didnt, but thanks to this forum problem solved
thanks guys :pepper:

dcigar

• Senior CVO Member

bcm was replaced yesterday, service manager delivered bike as promised, but when he arrived he said there is a small problem , and luckily he had ridden it about 25km from the dealership, he told me that the engine light was coming on about 5km before he arrived, bike was still operating correctly, but wants to take it back, on monday and not to ride it , he would bring the truck, lucky he saw the light when he was riding, always hard to \explain these things if it happens when you are riding.
will keep you updated
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 21 queries.