Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All

Author Topic: TTS & ECM Change Help?  (Read 17500 times)

miken488

TTS & ECM Change Help?
« on: June 28, 2011, 09:19:10 PM »

I had the TTS Mastertune installed on bike and all worked well until.... I took my bike into the dealer for some service work. The HD digital technician could not communicate with my ECM so dealer assumed my ECM was defective and replaced. Now I cannot use the TTS to re-tune my bike as it was married to the old ECM. TTS tells me that I need to send them my new ECM, my old ECM, and my TTS dongle so that they can resolve. First of all I cannot retrieve the old ECM, as dealer returned it to HD. Any work around or suggestions, or do I have to repurchase a new TTS? Seems like a real PITA!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: TTS & ECM Change Help?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 11:26:13 PM »

I had the TTS Mastertune installed on bike and all worked well until.... I took my bike into the dealer for some service work. The HD digital technician could not communicate with my ECM so dealer assumed my ECM was defective and replaced. Now I cannot use the TTS to re-tune my bike as it was married to the old ECM. TTS tells me that I need to send them my new ECM, my old ECM, and my TTS dongle so that they can resolve. First of all I cannot retrieve the old ECM, as dealer returned it to HD. Any work around or suggestions, or do I have to repurchase a new TTS? Seems like a real PITA!

You are, unfortunately, well and truly hosed.  Though I would have a very pointed conversation with the dealership about ever replacing parts, especially significant parts, on my bike without letting me know about it first. 

miken488

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 11:47:31 PM »

I agree, although the dealer thought they were doing me a favor. They went into the ECM to check software on anti lock brakes and noticed that someting did not appear correct in that the cruise was disabled and the auto compression release was disabled. When they could not enable they assumed a defective ECM and replaced under warranty and told me as if they were doing something special. At this point while the MAP and pipes supplied by Fullsac were great, I will have to rethink rebuying the TTS vs. some of the other products which will allow you to unlock the tuner to work with a different ECM. Seems crazy the way TTS works, either they are trying to boost their sales or the product code is "old school"? I welcome any opinions out there.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 11:54:51 PM »

If the bike is an 09 or 2010 at least take a look at the EMS tuning package from a company called Revolution Performance.  End result given is as good as the "ride me tunes" we'll get doing data runs with the TTS, Thundermax or other similar options but we don't have to spend hours and hours getting there.

They don't have their product out for the 2011s yet.  But if that's not an impediment the product is worth consideration if you're going to make a change.  Unlike the TTS using its MT8 variant software EMS doesn't change the ECM in a way that alters how a dealership would service or see the ECM.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 07:02:37 AM »

Not that it matters to me anymore since I bought the EMS, but I thought HD could still read the ECM when a TTS was used?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 07:56:42 AM »

Not that it matters to me anymore since I bought the EMS, but I thought HD could still read the ECM when a TTS was used?

They could.  But....

Don't remember all the details but Cole wrote that with the advent of his MT8 files their use altered the ECM in a way that changed and diminished how the dealerships could access the ECM.

NorEaster

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2006 FLSTFSE2 Nebula Yellow / Cobalt Blue
    • CVO2: 2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red / Typhoon Maroon
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 08:37:18 AM »

That would seem like a pretty significant disadvantage of the TTS Mastertune if it prevents dealers from being able to do any service on your bike that requires access to the ECM.

miken488

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 08:43:31 AM »

That's exactly right, a big disadvantage in that the dealer cannot service. Couple that with the TTS policy of forcing you to re-buy their product when the dealer changed my ECM has me re-thinking my options on the 2nd time around.

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 09:22:37 AM »

That's exactly right, a big disadvantage in that the dealer cannot service. Couple that with the TTS policy of forcing you to re-buy their product when the dealer changed my ECM has me re-thinking my options on the 2nd time around.

Its only a disadvantage if the dealer monkeys with the bike. If taking the bike to the Dealer for any reason should always go back to stock... as the TTS stores the stock setting for this purpose. I had a ThunderMax system on my last bike and it was overheating and making noises while I was  in NY.Although it was under warranty, HD dealers didn't even want to look at it . An Indy stepped up and found the cause. Harley is pretty anal about that chit. Less I buy off of HD for performance etc suits me fine.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 09:43:29 AM by MUFFMAN »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 11:37:09 AM »

That would seem like a pretty significant disadvantage of the TTS Mastertune if it prevents dealers from being able to do any service on your bike that requires access to the ECM.

Again, I don't remember the specifics.  But it was written that the change to MT8 files was using areas of the ECM that hadn't been used before and that doing this altered in some way the ability of a shop to read or service the ECM.  The specifics should be requested of Cole.  He's a helpful sort and always takes questions about his product with good cheer so all concerned should check with him.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 12:08:13 PM »

I wonder if this happens when you have a MT7 file in the ECM?
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2011, 02:29:11 PM »

Again, I don't remember the specifics.  But it was written that the change to MT8 files was using areas of the ECM that hadn't been used before and that doing this altered in some way the ability of a shop to read or service the ECM.  The specifics should be requested of Cole.  He's a helpful sort and always takes questions about his product with good cheer so all concerned should check with him.
Quote from: Twolanerider
Don't remember all the details but Cole wrote that with the advent of his MT8 files their use altered the ECM in a way that changed and diminished how the dealerships could access the ECM.

This is the kind of crap that is really sad, People that do not know the specifics should not make comments about something they do not know! The dealer can do all there testing just fine with a TTS installed, what they cannot do is reprogram the ECM. Everything else works, so if the compression releases are disabled you have to reprogram the ECM to enable them so my guess is this is why the dealer was having trouble. We do not diminish a damn thing, what we do is stop the dealer from trying to reprogram the ECM. If you want them to reprogram the unit you simply return the unit to stock prior to taking it in to the dealer.  Everything you need comes with the product to do just that.

Let's say the dealership did the same thing to an EMS unit where would you be? The same place with no more EMS program! Look we did what we thought was the best thing and that was to stop anyone from trying to program something into the ECM that was not correct. Each and every reprogramming system on the market is tied to the ECM so it's not any different anywhere else. Once you program the ECM the unit is married to that ECM, same for every reprogramming product out there. We need both the old and the new ECM so we can transfer the system from one to the other for a customer that has had an ECM failure, and we do it for no charge. Not sure what any of the other manufactures do, but HD just tells you you need to buy a new unit and tough luck.

The EMS unit does not allow you to do any programming nor does it allow you to do any diagnostics and as people are finding out it doesn't always work out of the box. Brian and crew are good guys but let compare apples to apples here.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2011, 02:54:34 PM »

The specifics should be requested of Cole.  He's a helpful sort and always takes questions about his product with good cheer so all concerned should check with him.

This is the kind of crap that is really sad,

We do not diminish a damn thing,

Steve, first off I did specifically say I wasn't familiar with the details and didn't have firm recollection of what you'd said earlier.  Which is why I also suggested, twice, that questions should be specifically put to you.

The latter suggestion, however, did have the slightest bit of facete added because, well; you're just so damned predictable.  There are times it has seemed one might suggest the sky is blue and your response would be to say it wasn't TTS's fault.  Play nice and be one of the guys and you won't be (so easily) baited.

Honestly, whether you believe it or not or give a chit or not (and I don't personally care either way), I say the following with the utmost sincerity.  You often do hurt your own cause with the tenor of your responses to the smallest of things or the slightest disagreements or equivocations.  Nice guys (looking for customers) really do finish farther ahead.  And since I do respect the capabilities of your product I actually don't like to see its possible users potentially alienated by your sometimes pissy attitude.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2011, 05:21:57 PM »

Steve, first off I did specifically say I wasn't familiar with the details and didn't have firm recollection of what you'd said earlier.  Which is why I also suggested, twice, that questions should be specifically put to you.

The latter suggestion, however, did have the slightest bit of facete added because, well; you're just so damned predictable.  There are times it has seemed one might suggest the sky is blue and your response would be to say it wasn't TTS's fault.  Play nice and be one of the guys and you won't be (so easily) baited.

Honestly, whether you believe it or not or give a chit or not (and I don't personally care either way), I say the following with the utmost sincerity.  You often do hurt your own cause with the tenor of your responses to the smallest of things or the slightest disagreements or equivocations.  Nice guys (looking for customers) really do finish farther ahead.  And since I do respect the capabilities of your product I actually don't like to see its possible users potentially alienated by your sometimes pissy attitude.

Well said.....the sad part is that you said you weren't sure (twice) and still got bashed!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2011, 05:51:14 PM »

:end:

Leads me to an observation that will probably get me in trouble, but what the hey it won't be the first time.

#1.  Many times some of us try to answer questions for people when those most qualified to do so don't jump in first.  As in this case, we often put disclaimers in the responses indicating we aren't the experts and the person asking the question should consult the ones who are.  That happened in this case, and I see no reason to jump the respondent.  Mr. Cole, if you read 2lanes responses again I think you will find that he spoke highly of you and suggested you be the one to enlighten the original poster.  I realize we all have bad days, and we sometimes think we are being abused when we really aren't, but you might want to think about it and come up with a more civil response and maybe even an apology.

#2.  In cases where the customer didn't cause the problem, I don't see why a company couldn't make an exception and take care of him as a goodwill gesture.  What would it cost TTS, a few bucks for a dongle?  BFD.  The goodwill and positive word of mouth advertising would be worth a lot more than what you have now, an unhappy customer who is now considering competitive products.

JMHO  -  Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 21 queries.