Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Drive belt chirping/squeaking on deceleration  (Read 30397 times)

Volski

Drive belt chirping/squeaking on deceleration
« on: July 01, 2011, 11:53:06 PM »

Has anyone experienced their drive belt sqeaking or chirping on deceleration? I've cleaned the belt and pulley, checked adjustments, checked clearances, ect. It is an aftermaket aluminum pulley, it's the correct size and has the correct number of teeth. Worked fine for over a year and now it makes this noise, but only when you let off the throttle. It doesn't do it when you pull the clutch in, either. ( that was checked also; everything O.K.) We've even spayed the belt while the tire was running (on the dyno) and the noise stopped instantly, but starts back after a few miles. Any information would be greatly appreciated.  :nixweiss:

Devil Dog

• Junior CVO Member
Re: Drive belt chirping/squeaking on deceleration
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 07:43:05 AM »

The belt is a little loose. Tighten it up a bit.
Lou
USMC 77-81
"In GOD We Trust"

Volski

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 08:12:15 AM »

I'll check it and adjust it again. Thanks for the info. ;)

Volski

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 05:20:42 PM »

Checked and tightened belt. Now the chirping and sqeaking is constant. Very annoying and the dealership can't figure it out either. :-\

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 06:06:12 PM »

Jason, a couple times over the years have had or seen "squeaky" belts.  Just like on a car's front belts.  Both that I've dealt with (one my own and one someone elses) took a new belt to make it go away.  Belt dressing or sprays or other products would solve it for a moment (just like on a car's drive belts).  But it would come right back.

Also know of one bike that had a weird squeak from the rear pulley guts.  Though that behaved differently than I understand your description here.

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 07:26:31 PM »

I had this exact problem years ago with one of my Big Dogs. Tried all the stuff you have, then one day I was polishing the billet aluminum on it and thought about all that nasty black residue on the rag. Then I took a bowl with hot water and dawn dishwashing liquid, grabbed a clean rag and started cleaning all that residue off the teeth on my rear aluminum pulley and the belt. Squeeking belts (fan, drive, etc.) are usually caused from dirt or contamination, as well as being too tight or too loose. Guess what? The squeeking on decel was gone! Kept it good and clean from then on and had very few issues. I also found on long trips that if a squeek developed I could use a chunk of parafin wax and rub it on the belt-presto!-no more noise.

Hope this helps, Kelly
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

OhioDave

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 09:48:26 PM »

Not sure what you are riding but are you 100% sure it is the belt? Several of us have had a similar noise and it was from the rear muffler mount under the saddle bag, spray a little lube on the rubber mount and the chirp disappears.

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 10:10:34 PM »

chirp from the rear belt?  :P

Sorry, sometimes I just can't stop myself.  :oops:

Volski

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 11:06:20 PM »

I ride a 2009 StreetGlide with a custom 18" rear wheel and pulley, 200mm Dunlop and the bike has around 15,000 miles on it. I do appreciate all the input and am going to put it to good use. If all else fails, I'll replace the belt. I even wondered about spraying WD-40 on the belt. I have cleaned the belt, but not the teeth on the pulley. Noise went away for about 20 miles.  ;)

smiley1049

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2011, 11:28:12 PM »

Check the rear pulley mine was bad on my 07 SE Ultra and made the belt chirp like crazy replaced pulley noise gone.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 03:52:36 AM »

I had a 'chirp' that occurred only when I abruptly rolled off the throttle...a loud, single chirp that I tried everything to get rid of with no success....until a tech in Blackfoot, Idaho heard it when I was in for a service there in '97.  He finally designed a 'jig' to align the rear wheel completely straight and got rid of the chirp altogether.  The wheel had been adjusted many times previously, but was just not completely straight evidently.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2019 FLHRXS Road Kind Special
    • KY

• CVO1: 2019 FLHRXS Road King Special (not a cvo)
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2011, 07:53:09 AM »

I had that before on my FXR years ago. Harley sells a tube of stuff called poly lube. Put a couple dabs on the belt and problem was solved. I still have the same tube. Its still good and have used very little over probably a 20 year period.
2019 FLHRXS Road King Special
2016 FLSS Softail Slim Special
2009 CVO Road Glide FLTRSE3
2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
2001 Chrome Yellow & vivid Black FXDL
1985 Candy Red FXRS
1955 Triumph T110 Tiger chopper built by me!

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2011, 08:28:39 AM »

I had that before on my FXR years ago. Harley sells a tube of stuff called poly lube. Put a couple dabs on the belt and problem was solved. I still have the same tube. Its still good and have used very little over probably a 20 year period.

X2

Used HD poly lube for a noisy belt on my RK.  Still have the same tube - have used it sparingly & only a few times over the 9 years I have owned the bike.  Works great - cheap fix.  HD shop in Ashville, NC recommended it to me.  Up until then the belt sqeaking was more than annoying.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2011, 08:53:56 AM »

X2

Used HD poly lube for a noisy belt on my RK.  Still have the same tube - have used it sparingly & only a few times over the 9 years I have owned the bike.  Works great - cheap fix.  HD shop in Ashville, NC recommended it to me.  Up until then the belt sqeaking was more than annoying.
-Where do you apply it?  The belt edges or on the sproket?  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2011, 08:58:48 AM »

-Where do you apply it?  The belt edges or on the sproket?  spyder

Inside surface of the belt.  With my fingers.  Sparingly. Brylcreem method - a little dab will do ya.

Takes only a few minutes, but if done properly requires consumption of 2 beers.  At least.  :drink:
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 22 queries.