Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Drive belt chirping/squeaking on deceleration  (Read 30402 times)

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2019 FLHRXS Road Kind Special
    • KY

• CVO1: 2019 FLHRXS Road King Special (not a cvo)
Re: Drive belt chirping/squeaking on deceleration
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2011, 12:08:33 PM »

Yes put a dab inside the belt or the pulley. Turn your wheel if on a lift or roll the bike forward about 1/2 belt revolution. Now drink a cold beer (important the beer is very cold). Now put another dab on the inside of the belt or on pulley. Now drink your second cold beer then reinstall the cap on the tube. Stand back a few minutes to admire your work and your ready to ride squeak free!  :2vrolijk_21:
2019 FLHRXS Road King Special
2016 FLSS Softail Slim Special
2009 CVO Road Glide FLTRSE3
2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
2001 Chrome Yellow & vivid Black FXDL
1985 Candy Red FXRS
1955 Triumph T110 Tiger chopper built by me!

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2011, 12:32:04 PM »

Good way to measure time...man/beer hours   :drink: :drink:

After about 4 though, I tend to lose track of both time and parts...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
    • KY

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2011, 12:44:12 PM »

Good way to measure time...man/beer hours   :drink: :drink:

After about 4 though, I tend to lose track of both time and parts...

Probably not a good idea to test ride after more than 2 beers? Not preaching cause I have done it myself too many times! JS

Face  :nixweiss:
2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
1985 Candy Red FXRS

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2011, 12:53:24 PM »

Probably not a good idea to test ride after more than 2 beers? Not preaching cause I have done it myself too many times! JS

Face  :nixweiss:

Nope...two is my limit when riding, and I rarely do any at all when on the road.  Drinking and motorcycles don't really mix very well, though in my younger days, you couldn't have told me that.  Old age does bring some wisdom...

If I'm going to have more than two, it's after the bike has been parked for the night, or I'm in the basement admiring the bike or something I've done to it...rewarding myself for a job well done... ;D ;)
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2011, 03:37:41 PM »

Inside surface of the belt.  With my fingers.  Sparingly. Brylcreem method - a little dab will do ya.

Takes only a few minutes, but if done properly requires consumption of 2 beers.  At least.  :drink:

If consuming alcohol while applying make sure bike is not on center stand and in gear running.  May cause major damage to your extremities.   :huepfenlol2:
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2011, 12:01:57 AM »

If consuming alcohol while applying make sure bike is not on center stand and in gear running.  May cause major damage to your extremities.   :huepfenlol2:

:huepfenlol2:

Must be referring to the "6 pack" application method. 
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Volski

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2011, 12:00:33 AM »

While cleaning and adjusting my belt and pulley,...AGAIN, I happened to notice little cracks on the front corners of the cogs on the belt. Not all of them, just a few. I only have around 15,000 miles on this bike and I don't even ride it hard. I guess this means it's time for a new belt? :nixweiss:

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2011, 07:09:40 AM »

If your cogs are cracking/slowly peeling off it is a sign of a loose adjustment. once thay start theres no

stopping it.  I would change the belt.   axil
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
    • KY

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2011, 08:04:50 AM »

While cleaning and adjusting my belt and pulley,...AGAIN, I happened to notice little cracks on the front corners of the cogs on the belt. Not all of them, just a few. I only have around 15,000 miles on this bike and I don't even ride it hard. I guess this means it's time for a new belt? :nixweiss:

No way a new belt at 15k? That should last at least 50k and I have seen them go 100k on touring bikes. Unless your doing a Chit load of hole shots something is wrong! I have attended the Gates belt seminar at HOG rallies several times. Gates says when you replace a high milage belt you should change both pulleys or you will not get high milage from the new belt. On my FXR at 50k I broke some teeth off doing wheelies in San Fran on those big hills. I bought new belt and pulleys and the difference on the pulley teeth between new and old was night and day. Teeth on the old pulley were squared off. The new one was nice and round. Food for thought.   Face
2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
1985 Candy Red FXRS

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2011, 08:27:30 AM »

I can't help but notice that the problem began after installing an aftermarket rear pulley.  I think I would take a long hard look at that pulley before just installing a new belt and hoping the problem doesn't quickly return.  Those belts aren't cheap.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
    • KY

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2011, 09:24:42 AM »

Anyone tried these belts?

http://www.fullthrottlemotorsports.com/eshopprod_cat_7085-25729_prodtree_f2-0213-02257-02389_product_1071478.S_S_GATES_HIGHSTRENGTHFINALDRIVEBELTS.htm

Made by Gates probably the same as the Harley belt. I ran one from Custom Chrome and it was a gates also. Ran fine for 43k. Took a rock thru it after only about 5k. I bought one of those emergency belt kits and put it in the saddle bag for insurance. Belt was still on the bike going strong when I sold it. Even with a hole in it!

2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
1985 Candy Red FXRS

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2011, 02:37:41 PM »

The S&S solution looks promising.  I measured the rear sprocket and it is like 1-1/16".  Is there an aftermarket sprocket that will accept the wider belt? There does not look like there is alto of clearance for the 1 1/2" near the frame but I'm not positive.  If there is an aftermarket sprocket that can use this belt you will have solved the issues of belt breakage when going to the 30T sprocket.  Since my bike is sitting on the jack with a broken belt and no clear solution in sight I'm interested in a permanent fix.

41,500 miles on stock sprocket and belt plus allot of horseplay than changed to the 30T kit and put 3,000 miles and had a shredded Falcon belt and I was riding more conservative than ever.  

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2011, 03:29:06 PM »

The S&S solution looks promising.  I measured the rear sprocket and it is like 1-1/16".  Is there an aftermarket sprocket that will accept the wider belt? There does not look like there is alto of clearance for the 1 1/2" near the frame but I'm not positive.  If there is an aftermarket sprocket that can use this belt you will have solved the issues of belt breakage when going to the 30T sprocket.  Since my bike is sitting on the jack with a broken belt and no clear solution in sight I'm interested in a permanent fix.

41,500 miles on stock sprocket and belt plus allot of horseplay than changed to the 30T kit and put 3,000 miles and had a shredded Falcon belt and I was riding more conservative than ever.  

When you changed to the 30 tooth trans sprocket, did you also change the rear sprocket?  If not, that sprocket may have been severely worn at 40k plus miles which could damage a new belt rather quickly.  Of course, there is always the possibility of just getting a bad belt, and then there is the possibility of the belt being mishandled somewhere along the line.  Belts don't tolerate being forced into a tight bend, for instance, and a nick in the belt can lead to premature failure.

The 1" belts on recent Harley's have not shown a tendency for poor reliability, even with bikes pumping out double the stock power.  Before blaming the narrow belt (the original of which lasted over 40k miles and was still fine when you changed it btw), I'd look for something else like a worn or damaged sprocket.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2011, 04:33:56 PM »

Volski, just a thought here, but check the inside primary cover and make sure the top of your belt is not touching when you are riding. If it is you might see a mark on the top of your belt. I had this happen on one of my older bikes. It made a chirping sound on acc/dec. I took off the inner primary(mine was just a cover from Kuryakyn   and ground off about 1/4 inch where the belt was hitting it and it solved the problem. Good Luck CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 22 queries.