Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FXR3 Idle  (Read 1894 times)

abnrdo

• Brothers, to arms!!!
FXR3 Idle
« on: May 24, 2006, 09:25:53 PM »

Went riding the other day to get my new tags.  Seemed the bike was idling a bit high when at a stop light, about 1K rpm.  What is the idle supposed to be when hot?  Everything else seems fine.  Oh, I do have a thunderjet, Arlen big sucker and V&H stag straights.
-Jim
am I paranoid?
 :-?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 09:29:22 PM by abnrdo »

RedFXR2

Re: FXR3 Idle
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 10:02:12 AM »

I mostly wouldn't worry about a 1K RPM idle.  Some folks like to get their motors idling really low to get that "potato-potato" sound, but 1K isn't really that high.  You mentioned a thunderjet kit so make sure your carb is set up properly, along with ruling out a sticky choke (err, I mean enrichener :)).  The Big Sucker will help the breathing as well--was it there when the thunderjet was installed?  Or vice versa?  Things like this need to work in concert with each other.

Nice bike, by the way.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 10:23:35 AM »

Idle speed should be 1000 +50/-50 rpm at normal operating temp.  Setting it too low is not a good idea (no matter what the folks who like the low lumpy sound say), since oil pressure and voltage drop like a rock at low rpms.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

abnrdo

• Brothers, to arms!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 01:24:08 PM »

The Big Sucker will help the breathing as well--was it there when the thunderjet was installed?  Or vice versa?  Things like this need to work in concert with each other.

Yes,  the Big Sucker was put on at the same time the jet kit was installed.  Runs great for only having 1240 miles on her.  I need to ride more!  Now that you mentioned the enrichener, I have been having some issues with the darn thing during warm up.  I may need to check on it.
Thanks!!
-Jimbo 8-)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 01:26:49 PM by abnrdo »

neanderpaul

• Full CVO Member
  • Green Bikes = Bad Luck? Give 'Em All To Me!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FXR3
    • Neanderpaul Dot Com
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 03:28:44 PM »

I wouldn't sweat the idle if it's around 1K. That's where I let mine hum as well, and although you don't get that Harley chug sound...I'm willing to trade that for proper oil spray for cooling purposes.

Which do you think is more important?

Bike looks nice...good to see another FXR3 around.
'99 FXR3
'05 15th Ann. LE Fat Boy
'19 RAM Rebel

abnrdo

• Brothers, to arms!!!
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 12:21:35 AM »

Hey Red,
     Did you do all that work yourself?  SE Heads and rollers?  
-Jim

RedFXR2

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 12:29:26 PM »

Hey Red,
     Did you do all that work yourself?  SE Heads and rollers?  
-Jim

I only did the little stuff, leaving the engine work to the pros.

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 11:58:53 PM »

I'm going to go against the grain here and say that 1000 rpm is higher than it needs to be.  My 97 idles at about 650 and it potatoes like the best of them.  It really did well with the duals on her, but still does fairly well with the pro pipe.  You only need 10 psi for oil at 1000, so essentially any evo is capable of this.  Secondly, yes you're probably solely running off the battery at 650 rpm- I haven't checked it- but how long do you sit at idle??  With a non-efi bike, you need about 8 volts to fire the ignition.  That's hours of idling to get down to 8 volts if you start with a good battery.  Just my 2cents.  Yes, I do love a good potato!  You could easily back it down to 850 or 900 and see what you think.  If that's not low enough, back it down some more until you're happy.  I got spoiled by a 63 F100- she'd idle at 350!  It's your ride, do what makes you feel good!!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 12:00:40 AM by arcticdude »
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 21 queries.