Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cams for 103  (Read 3850 times)

lbk454

• WyomingRider
Cams for 103
« on: June 06, 2004, 09:58:16 PM »

Hi all, looking to pick everyone's brain.  I just put on an SE air cleaner a V&H Pro Pipe, and a HD Race Tuner Kit on my 2004 FLHTCSE.  Dyno was 96 hp and 103 tq.  Please keep in mind I'm up here at 6,800 feet.  I'm looking at cams but just want a decent bump in the numbers without getting into different heads, pistons, etc.  Every wrench and tech I talk to has different opinions.  I'd like to know what cams are the group actually using in the 103 and how do the numbers look.   Also, does anyone have any hard numbers on the V&H Pro Pipe with the standard baffel vs. the competition baffel? Thanks.

SERK03

• Bigger is better
Re: Cams for 103
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2004, 07:08:43 PM »

I would try an S & S 570 gear drive.  I started with an SE 258 using the stock heads and it really sucked on the bottom end.  I have since changed to SE heads to raise compression to 10.5 to 1 and it runs great.  The 9 to 1 stock compression really limits the cam selection that will not cause the lower end of the torque curve to suffer.  Thats no fun on a bagger.  By the way.  The stock heads are the same valves, springs and porting as the SE Performance heads.  They have just been opened up in the combusion chamber to lower compression (and our enjoyment).

SERK03

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2004, 08:34:40 AM »

Cam are a hard choice but would not do them if I couldn't go with gear drives,  doudles the price.  [smiley=shocked2.gif] Lets us know what you do and how it turns out.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

the O`Fender

• Elite CVO Member
  • On the Dragon
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2004, 11:25:06 AM »

After ridin' this scooter for over 5500 miles
I would have to say the Harley engineers did a pretty good job of designing
a cam that works well for both a stroker and a bagger
puttin both those words in the same sentence means
NOT A HIGH RPM MOTOR

now if you are lookin' for a small bump acrossed the board, the best bang for your buck is the hi-compression CAST pistons, raising compression to 10.25 to 1 and it will cost you less than a cam and installation.
10.25 to 1 will work fine on pump gas and you won't need compression releases [smiley=6.gif]
2020 Scorched Orange Limited

PCC

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2004, 02:38:05 AM »

I like Wood's TW6HG. he also makes em for chain drive. [smiley=beerchug.gif]

Page created in 0.337 seconds with 21 queries.