Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: CVO/110 Top End rattle & noise  (Read 20995 times)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: CVO/110 Top End rattle & noise
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2011, 03:52:14 PM »

"It's normal" is actually a true statement.  Of course, "normal", in this case, is certainly not a good thing.  But is does seem "normal" for these motors to rattle and create all kinds of scary noises...   :nixweiss:    >:(

That's true, Scott.  When I had the Strat with the 113" motor, I was on another forum dedicated to that bike.  Some of those guys were coming off of OHV motors, and were freaked out by the "racket" the 113 made.  It made noise too.  It's a pushrod engine as well...more components = more noise.  The problem is defining "normal".   ;)
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2011, 02:36:51 AM »

Gecko, I am with you on the test ride thing. If I would have had a chance to hear the engine noise and 5th gear whine before I drove my 09 off the lot I would have backed out and bought something else. That being said, I just got back from a 3500 mile trip with no issues other then having the original front tire replaced at Big Sky HD in Great Falls Montana( it was shot at about 11,000 miles). The power is great even with passenger and lugggage, but the valve train noise is irritating as hell when cruising scenic area's that require a being in the 2200-2800 range and even with redline in the gearbox 5th gear whine still bugs me. I might do the adjustable lifter thing later this year with adjustment as recommended by Hillside, but I guess I will be stuck with 5th gear whine unless somebody figures how to get it fixed under warrranty. On a positive note at about 75 in 6th gear it is a pleasure. CAHDBIKER

It's "normal" because they don't want to spend the money to fix their bad engines.  If it is so normal and just the way the 110 is, something in the design - why don't they all do it?  I'd like to sell mine, but there's no way anybody who knows anything about an engine would buy it; I wouldn't if I heard it.  Perhaps we've discovered why the dealers don't allow test rides?

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

fatboybern

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2011, 11:12:43 PM »

now that you mention  the gear wine it kinda  made me laugh cause it was totally there on my bike and on a friend of mines but it has dissapeared without me even noticing i just hit 22000 km and  havent heard it in a while dont no your milage

Sadwings

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NV

« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2016, 01:48:15 PM »

I have a 2014 SERG...and have around 2600 miles on it...just recently, I started to experience the "Ticking noise" before changing gears...its starts with 2nd...sounds like to me that when I'm in 2nd...and about to change to 3rd, that's when the ticking starts to sing...same with the upper gears...kind of annoying.
Could the tapping come from the Valve Train?

Thanks

S

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2016, 02:42:45 PM »

TONS of info on this and yes the cam is aggressive for its size and the valve springs are heavier than needed and lifters less than stellar..

This post though is 5 years old , but most will just change the lifters and let it go at that.. If you want it right well thats a different story. Correctly set valve spring pressure and quality lifters ( there are more than one brand) will make a huge change, Most will also opt to swap the cam and then you are dealing with a nice running quite engine that makes more power , with reduced heat than what you started with. But the cost on that is more as one would think.

Simple fix new lifters.. 
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 22 queries.