Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Evo Clutch tool for clutch replacement  (Read 4290 times)

Gatornapper

• Junior CVO Member
Evo Clutch tool for clutch replacement
« on: July 26, 2011, 03:40:07 AM »

Ok, fans, been turning wrenches on bikes since '64 when I had my first Harley, and now need to put a new clutch (Barnett) in my '97 Wide Glide.

I know someone here knows how to safely compress the clutch spring without the factory tool (I have both the factory Service Manual and Parts Manual for the bike as I do all my bikes) that Harley uses and recommends.   :-\

I've searched this forum for guidance, but without success.

Can some of you seasoned Evo clutch replacers lead me by the hand in this?

Also would like to know how many advise changing the steel plates too when there is only 55k mis. on the originals??? Makes sense to me to replace friction plates only on this change, both friction and steel on next.......????

Your wise counsel and guidance is greatly appreciated!

'09 CVO 'Screamin' Eagle' FLTRSE3 w/Rinehart slip-ons, WindSplitter shield
'97 FXDWG, Stage II, fully tricked-out, faster than my CVO

Patriot Guard Rider/Member For origin of "gatornapper", refer to July '65 Kosciusco County, Ind. court records, Walter Cronkite, Huntley/Brinkley evening news, & Indianapolis Star paper.

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
Re: Evo Clutch tool for clutch replacement
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 09:41:49 AM »

Get the proper tools for the job.
Barnett clutch will use the stock steel plates and you will be fine, unless they are warped, scored, etc.
I'm a firm believer in the proper tool for the proper job.
JMHO

BTW: if you go the "extra plate" clutch pack, you can use your stock clutch spring on your bike, assuming it's basically stock.
HOGMIKE

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 07:57:37 PM »

Do yourself a favor, and use the extra plate clutch kit. This gets rid of the riveted double steel stock plate that usually breaks.  >:(  You can copy the tool I made with a piece of 4" tubing and some flat scrap pieces. You can also compress the spring in a press, if you're going to remove the whole assembly. Be sure during assembly, that you have the small L shaped washer centered under the snap ring. If you release pressure from the spring too quickly, you can ruin the fingers on the hub.  :-[
John

Gatornapper

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 07:27:30 AM »

John - ah, a man of my style - why buy it when you can make it?  Ok, need to get a piece of 4" conduit...flat plate I have.  Can you give me the bolt size/t.p.i. of the bolt that goes in it?  1/2" x 20?

And the puller on the right....have several, but not like that one.  Can you give me some specs on it?  Understand how the rig to left works .....how about the puller?   Never been in an Evo clutch before, and know they all differ.....

THANKS!

Patriot Guard Rider/Member For origin of "gatornapper", refer to July '65 Kosciusco County, Ind. court records, Walter Cronkite, Huntley/Brinkley evening news, & Indianapolis Star paper.

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 05:43:27 PM »

John - ah, a man of my style - why buy it when you can make it?  Ok, need to get a piece of 4" conduit...flat plate I have.  Can you give me the bolt size/t.p.i. of the bolt that goes in it?  1/2" x 20?

And the puller on the right....have several, but not like that one.  Can you give me some specs on it?  Understand how the rig to left works .....how about the puller?   Never been in an Evo clutch before, and know they all differ.....

THANKS!

Bolt is a 7/16" SAE (fine thread).
The tool on the right is a store bought clutch puller for early style key clutches.
Nut welded on a 11/16" socket is for adjusting the clutch. Lets you hold the long end of an allen wrench, while you tighten,tightly, the lock nut.
Threaded bushing, and stud, are for using the clutch spring compressor on Sportster clutches.
John  ;)

Gatornapper

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 10:21:56 PM »

John - thanks, man.  Really appreciate it.

But nearby indie shop I've been dealing with just gave me a rock-bottom price to provide & install the Barnett clutch for a labor price not much more than
my buying the tool - or time making one - and is providing the clutch parts way cheaper than I can find them anywhere - so I'm letting them do it.

They're a good shop, do good work, and are really hurtin' - been losing money for last year or more - but really good people.  So I figure they need my
business too.  While mostly a metric shop, they do do a lot of Harley's too and know what they are doing.

About 1/2 of what the HD dealer wanted......

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 21 queries.