Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Garmin altitude tops out at 10,000 feet.  (Read 3612 times)

WaSEEG

• Senior CVO Member
Garmin altitude tops out at 10,000 feet.
« on: June 01, 2006, 10:20:28 PM »

I'm riding in the Colorado Rockies and notice that my elevation function stops at 10,000 feet.  I have a Garmin 2610 with the latest software and mapping upgrades.  I had another 2610 last year  (it was stolen) and it did the same thing but it was a new addition to my bike and I figured I didn't have it set up properly.  Anyone else have this problem with their 26xx or27xx?

Dan
'05 SEEG
PC III usb
SE Air Filter
Freedom Pipes
Freedom Cam
SE 6-speed
VPC
Wild -1 575's
Garmin Zumo 660
Traxxion AK-20's
300mm Bitubo's

'06 Tiara S/4300

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: Garmin altitude tops out at 10,000 feet.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 11:28:25 PM »

I'm riding in the Colorado Rockies and notice that my elevation function stops at 10,000 feet.  I have a Garmin 2610 with the latest software and mapping upgrades.  I had another 2610 last year  (it was stolen) and it did the same thing but it was a new addition to my bike and I figured I didn't have it set up properly.  Anyone else have this problem with their 26xx or27xx?

Dan

I guess a whole bunch of us will be finding out here in a few weeks Dan [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 09:48:13 AM »

OK, so this might be off the thread a bit. Did I see that Garmin makes a small hand held GPS unit now that you can carry with you anywhere ? If so, I was thinking what a great deal as you wouldn't need a separate one for your truck, bike and whatever. Am I on target with this ?

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 09:53:31 AM »

B,

check out the quest series i use it on my SERK, and have been know to drop it in my vest pocket when sight seeing on foot, internal battery good for up to 20 hrs
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

dwgibson

• NANR

• CVO1: FLHTSE2
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 10:06:15 AM »

Checkout - www.gpsnow.com

You can get the very same GPS (Quest) that Harley is selling for $800 for $369.......it's not black like HD's but does the exact same thing.  You can also purchase the Ram-mount handle bar mount and power harness futher down the Quest page.  You do not need the Quest II with the extra memory because your not going to need all the maps (Canada & Puerto Rico) and travel everywhere at once anyway.  You can also get the Harley shops locations to load into the Quest off of the internet.  I have used mine on a 2000 mile 8 state trip and it worked w/o any problem.  It comes with the car mount.....you can get Topo maps, Lake fishing and Ocean fishing maps also.  

Gibby
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first and the lesson afterwards"

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 11:20:56 AM »

quest 2 wasnt around when i bought my quest, but given the choice i'd take the quest 2. i wont be able to have detailed maps for my entire trip to CO and back without brining my laptop and uploading new maps at least once

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 12:54:31 PM »

Checkout - www.gpsnow.com

You can get the very same GPS (Quest) that Harley is selling for $800 for $369.......it's not black like HD's but does the exact same thing.  You can also purchase the Ram-mount handle bar mount and power harness futher down the Quest page.  You do not need the Quest II with the extra memory because your not going to need all the maps (Canada & Puerto Rico) and travel everywhere at once anyway.  You can also get the Harley shops locations to load into the Quest off of the internet.  I have used mine on a 2000 mile 8 state trip and it worked w/o any problem.  It comes with the car mount.....you can get Topo maps, [highlight]Lake fishing and Ocean fishing maps also[/highlight].  

Gibby

Heyyyyyyyyyy.... never thought about taking the scoot fishing! Let me see now.... where did I put that collapsable fishing rod & mini tackle box? Wonder if the worm box will fit in the lowers storage compartment??  [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] ;D ;)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 11:42:11 AM »

Spider...the Garmin 76CSX is another one that will "go anywhere"...love mine, and have mounts for both bikes, and the car....plus a little case for it that will attach to your belt and hold extra rechargable batteries, so if you're walking around somewhere it's easy to take with you.  It also works at any altitude 'cause it's the "outdoor" version...not specific to cars.  I know this because a freind of mine has one and we were at 13K feet in Colorado standing on the Continental Divide...it showed the altitude correctly.  It has removable memory chips up to 512 MB each, so even if one of the chips won't hold all the maps you need for a trip, you just load another chip (they're about 50 bucks) with the additional maps/routes, and change chips when you change locale. Takes about 2 minutes. I've got a 256MB chip, and got just about the whole Southeast on the one chip.  Of course, if you load California, there's so many streets, it takes a lot of memory. Plus you can load a chip with Topos, another with lakes, etc.  Vibration is not a problem because there's no hard drive involved.  I got the best prices at GPSonsale.com and no complaints with their service.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2006, 07:52:35 PM »

If you want above 10K ft., looks like you'd have to use the aeronautical GPS version. I haven't checked my other handhelds (one is nautical) for their limits, but may be interesting.  [smiley=2cr_01.gif] [smiley=lost.gif]

2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2006, 12:05:32 AM »

garmin quest on the top of pikes peak

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2006, 04:01:37 PM »

Outstanding ! Great shot and it clearly settles that technical issue.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2006, 06:09:27 PM »

My Garmin 2730 worked on all the passes and peaks in Colorado and so did the other guys GPS units, too.  We had a conversation about it at over 14,000 feet elevation........everybody's worked. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 21 queries.