Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Author Topic: Matching helmets  (Read 15739 times)

05SEEGer2

• Full CVO Member
  • US Army (Ret) 1984-2005

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2 Sunrise Yellow Pearl/Stingray Silver
Matching helmets
« on: August 12, 2011, 05:05:36 PM »

My wife and I bought helmets yesterday, I bought half, and she got 3/4 with a shield.  Should we have gotten them matching? 

What are you opinion?
Yes, it has a Hemi in it.

Proud Member of the Colorado Patriot Guard.

Wild Card

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3
Re: Matching helmets
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 05:14:04 PM »

No.  But one in yellow and one in grey would be the best combo!   :2vrolijk_21:

05SEEGer2

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 05:17:14 PM »

No.  But one in yellow and one in grey would be the best combo!   :2vrolijk_21:

So, they should at least, match the bike......

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 09:23:38 PM »

So, they should at least, match the bike......

In my opinion it doesn't matter what color or style you have. It's up to You and you alone! :2vrolijk_21: By the way, welcome to the site and you have a great taste in motorcycles! :D :bananarock: God Bless! :2vrolijk_21:

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 10:11:17 PM »

I agree with JR!  :2vrolijk_21:

Welcome, get whatever fits and does what you want it to do. No matter what some will love your choice and others won't care for it.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 07:29:47 AM »

That depends on whether you dress alike or not.... ???....welcome aboard.  har.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 12:22:52 AM »

They only NEED to match if you are riding a Gold Wing. Wear what you are most comfortable in. I have full face, 3/4, & 1/2 helmets. Depends on the weather, length of ride, whether or not I want tunes, and various fashion factors.

Big Dog

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 05:54:09 PM »

Yes they should match....both black. :2vrolijk_21: As long as you're happy, doesn't matter what others think, unless they're pink...then...well....
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 05:56:10 PM by Big Dog »
Randy D
Kristie D, Angel on my shoulders, October 10, 1973-April 16, 2009

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 06:15:15 PM »

Yes they should match....both black. :2vrolijk_21: As long as you're happy, doesn't matter what others think, unless they're pink...then...well....
huh?   ???  har.  :drink: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

TWZLR

• CVO1: 2010 SEConV
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 06:24:24 PM »

You should get your wife her own bike to go with that helmet!!!!
3 miles of Dirt to Asphalt grrrrrr..........

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 06:32:44 PM »

:-[  spyder

Big Dog

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 09:31:26 PM »

huh?   ???  har.  :drink: spyder
Damn, I knew I'd catch flack for that one, spidey senses were tingling I bet. Beer's on me. :drink:
Randy D
Kristie D, Angel on my shoulders, October 10, 1973-April 16, 2009

05SEEGer2

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 10:41:21 PM »

Actually, we are working on that. Her being 5ft 4in, kinda limit things.

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black - Gone
    • CVO2: 2012 Road Glide Custom CVO in Candy Cobalt-Twilight Blue - Gone
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2011, 09:03:11 AM »

I would love to be able to just find one matching my bike color scheme...

I understand painting helmets is a big no-no, and can understand why HD does not provide them (too many choices to be able to please folks...).  But a full face, flip up, helmet with my CVO color scheme would look great!

Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S
2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black with Aztec Shadow graphics. Gone!

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2011, 10:13:00 AM »

Sorry, but I've always felt that matching helmets was kind of a HONDA thing! :o
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2011, 10:27:33 AM »

In my opinion it doesn't matter what color or style you have. It's up to You and you alone! :2vrolijk_21: By the way, welcome to the site and you have a great taste in motorcycles! :D :bananarock: God Bless! :2vrolijk_21:

X2

I'll share my own experience and observations.  I've been riding a whole lot of years and have been through a couple or three helmets in my time.......they all look like they've been kicked down the road a few times.  Things just happen.....they fall off the seat, get knocked off the dresser in a hotel, etc. etc.  My experience.

Those that have the matching helmets (wether they match the bike or each other.......some color other than black) seem to have the same experience with me, if they've had the helmet very long.  If you're going to get a colored helmet like the wing riders......pay attention to how they maintain them.  Every time they stop the helmet goes in a cloth bag and padlocked to the bike.....constantly polishing them with a microfiber, etc. (I mean the whole helmet, not just the shield).  My observations.

If you wear matching helmets then you have to wear matching shirts (otherwise you've lost the effect).  And if you're wearing matching shirts then you have to both wear them either tucked in or untucked. And if you're both wearing them tucked in then you have to have matching belt buckles.  And if you have matching belt buckles then you have to both...............

Just some things to consider........ :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2011, 10:50:13 AM »

We bought matching silver helmets this summer. I forgot how much cooler silver is than black. Been many years since I have had a full face type and while wearing in the rain I suddenly remembered one of the best reasons for wearing one. We are very happy with the N90's just took awhile getting used to flippin it up and down. Oh yes hafta get a new chin piece cause it flew out on the way to Tahoe. :oops:

Wild Card

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2011, 11:48:32 AM »

X2

I'll share my own experience and observations.  I've been riding a whole lot of years and have been through a couple or three helmets in my time.......they all look like they've been kicked down the road a few times.  Things just happen.....they fall off the seat, get knocked off the dresser in a hotel, etc. etc.  My experience.

Those that have the matching helmets (wether they match the bike or each other.......some color other than black) seem to have the same experience with me, if they've had the helmet very long.  If you're going to get a colored helmet like the wing riders......pay attention to how they maintain them.  Every time they stop the helmet goes in a cloth bag and padlocked to the bike.....constantly polishing them with a microfiber, etc. (I mean the whole helmet, not just the shield).  My observations.

If you wear matching helmets then you have to wear matching shirts (otherwise you've lost the effect).  And if you're wearing matching shirts then you have to both wear them either tucked in or untucked. And if you're both wearing them tucked in then you have to have matching belt buckles.  And if you have matching belt buckles then you have to both...............

Just some things to consider........ :nixweiss:

Keeping your helmet in shape is not necessarily a bad thing.  It almost sounds like yours are essentially useless in a crash according to Snell, anyway.  I'm sure you've heard their take on helmet damage (below - from their website);

"Because of the different layers involved in how a helmet reduces the impact of an accident, coupled with the fact that the part that absorbs most of the impact is not even visible, a drop of anything higher than 1 - 2 feet onto a hard surface can, effectively, render a helmet useless as protection in an accident - even if there is no visible damage."

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2011, 11:54:22 AM »

I think the quality of the helmet is more important than the color  :nixweiss:
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2011, 03:02:06 PM »

Shoei Multitech comes in a Blue color that's pretty close.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2011, 04:00:50 PM »

Shoei Multitech comes in a Blue color that's pretty close.

That is the one I have now in flat black... very happy with it... not a bad idea to replace it with the same one.

I was hoping to get some additional features like the internal visor, anti-fog, and integrated communicaton, reason why I am thinking of going with the Nolan N-104 next year when it is time to replace my current Shoei.

If Nolan carries over the same colors as of those in the N103, there is one close as well:

Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S
2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black with Aztec Shadow graphics. Gone!

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2011, 04:02:17 PM »

Honda bashing seems to be sorta in the vogue here.  Does it make you feel big or better than them?   :oops:  I realize this may be good natured banter and such, but there is a point where I feel the need to speak up.  I met a lot of very nice people riding those bikes and don't regret one minute.  I rode Goldwings for the past eight years and can tell you they are one hell of a bike.  

The Kooky things some Wing riders do or wear, especially as couples, always gives me a laugh. But my wife and I would never do that.  Most Wing riders wouldn't  Oh, that's right we both wore black leathers and black helmets, so I guess we did dress alike.  Even so, if they want to look ridiculous, that's their choice.  It has not got a fippen thing to do with the bike.  

I'd bet just as many disparaging comments can be made the other direction.  But quite frankly, not worth the effort.  Everyone has the potential to ridiculous to someone else...  

I love my CVO, but it's unfortunate this attitude prevails about Wing riders.  I do not share it.  Matter of fact, I believe a number of members of this group still own Wings.  So, does that make them lesser than, when they ride them? We are not our bikes. We are people who choose a particular mode of transportation that happens to be very similar.  Nothing more.

To me, all bikers are my Brothers and Sisters, regardless of what they ride.  We share the love of the open road and a mode of transport that isn't for everyone.  That brings us together, not divides.  Hell, if my garage and wallet were big enough, I'd have just about every type for whatever mood I'm in...just saying.

Nuff said.  
:pumpkin:

Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2011, 04:33:47 PM »

:soapbox:   :jack:   :tekst-toppie:  :ROFLOL:

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2011, 04:46:04 PM »

:soapbox:   :jack:   :tekst-toppie:  :ROFLOL:

So getting back to topic...

My wife rides her own bike... and she decided what helmet she wanted to use.  Having matching helmets was never in her mind.  She likes purple and pink... I don't.   ;) 

She currently has an open face helmet that is her favorite, and a flip up full face... both in black and pink.

Use what you like, forget what others think.  ::)
Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2011, 04:51:10 PM »

Hey JC......you keep everything else clean & bug-free........why not your helmet?  It's part of the whole deal if ya wear one you know.  I'm thinking you need a microfiber cloth in the saddle bag to keep that lid clean.  ;) har.  spyder

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2011, 05:01:59 PM »

Honda bashing seems to be sorta in the vogue here.  Does it make you feel big or better than them?   :oops:  I realize this may be good natured banter and such, but there is a point where I feel the need to speak up.  I met a lot of very nice people riding those bikes and don't regret one minute.  I rode Goldwings for the past eight years and can tell you they are one hell of a bike.  

The Kooky things some Wing riders do or wear, especially as couples, always gives me a laugh. But my wife and I would never do that.  Most Wing riders wouldn't  Oh, that's right we both wore black leathers and black helmets, so I guess we did dress alike.  Even so, if they want to look ridiculous, that's their choice.  It has not got a fippen thing to do with the bike.  

I'd bet just as many disparaging comments can be made the other direction.  But quite frankly, not worth the effort.  Everyone has the potential to ridiculous to someone else...  

I love my CVO, but it's unfortunate this attitude prevails about Wing riders.  I do not share it.  Matter of fact, I believe a number of members of this group still own Wings.  So, does that make them lesser than, when they ride them? We are not our bikes. We are people who choose a particular mode of transportation that happens to be very similar.  Nothing more.

To me, all bikers are my Brothers and Sisters, regardless of what they ride.  We share the love of the open road and a mode of transport that isn't for everyone.  That brings us together, not divides.  Hell, if my garage and wallet were big enough, I'd have just about every type for whatever mood I'm in...just saying.

Nuff said.  

I think Buy Early made his comment in jest (at least that's the way I took it) and I followed suit.  Yes, The Kooky things some Wing riders do or wear, especially as couples, always gives us a laugh.

I rode a Goldwing just long enough to know that there's an attitude amongst Wing riders about those Harley riders, too.  :nixweiss: 

So you and your wife always wore matching helmets and big black leather jackets..........just like most of those dam Harley riders. :huepfenlol2:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2011, 05:20:12 PM »

Eagleye...I think most folks are saying all this with tongue firmly in cheek.  There are the stereotypical 'Wing riders, BMW riders (one piece Aerostitch suits), and of course, HD riders.  With exceptions, most people here don't GAS about what other people ride or wear, and if something is said, it's mostly in fun.  I promise you that you can find the same type of comments on 'Wing sites, BMW sites, Ducati sites, Star sites, etc. etc.  Even on Vrod sites.

Personally, I try to be friendly to all those on two wheels...or three, for that matter...and wave at folks, whatever they are riding.  It's all good...

TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2011, 05:38:35 PM »

That is the one I have now in flat black... very happy with it... not a bad idea to replace it with the same one.

I was hoping to get some additional features like the internal visor, anti-fog, and integrated communicaton, reason why I am thinking of going with the Nolan N-104 next year when it is time to replace my current Shoei.

If Nolan carries over the same colors as of those in the N103, there is one close as well:

Hate to break the news, but I looked at all sources for N-104's and it doesn't look like they're going to have a Blue in that model. It does sound like they have made a few improvements though: More room from your mouth to the chin bar; larger opening for the visor; an improved version of the chin strap (already great, BTW), and it looks like the helmet has been approved, even when worn in the flipped up position, which is generally not the case.  That makes me wonder if the angle of the chin bar is a bit lower on the top of the helmet than was the case with the other N series, which would give it a bit more of a true 3/4 helmet profile when viewed from straight on.  The internal sun visor on the 103 is really nice...some don't come down far enough and can be in your line of sight, but the 103 does, and I would guess they use the same visor in the 104, with a slightly different mechanical configuration.  Looks like the N104 will be available in January 2012.

There are two other helmets worthy of consideration, IMO.  The Schuberth C3 and the Shark Evoline 2 ST.  Both are kinda hard to find sometimes though.  And neither come in Blue.  :(

The are going to have a N104 with graphics that have blue as the main color, with white and silver.

TTS Mastertune

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2011, 05:57:54 PM »

The are going to have a N104 with graphics that have blue as the main color, with white and silver.
That could be a good possibility for him.  ;) Helmets are like gloves.....need lots of different ones for different times....and can't ever stop looking for the perfect one/pair.  har.  spyder

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2011, 05:58:35 PM »

Hate to break the news, but I looked at all sources for N-104's and it doesn't look like they're going to have a Blue in that model. It does sound like they have made a few improvements though: More room from your mouth to the chin bar; larger opening for the visor; an improved version of the chin strap (already great, BTW), and it looks like the helmet has been approved, even when worn in the flipped up position, which is generally not the case.  That makes me wonder if the angle of the chin bar is a bit lower on the top of the helmet than was the case with the other N series, which would give it a bit more of a true 3/4 helmet profile when viewed from straight on.  The internal sun visor on the 103 is really nice...some don't come down far enough and can be in your line of sight, but the 103 does, and I would guess they use the same visor in the 104, with a slightly different mechanical configuration.  Looks like the N104 will be available in January 2012.

There are two other helmets worthy of consideration, IMO.  The Schuberth C3 and the Shark Evoline 2 ST.  Both are kinda hard to find sometimes though.  And neither come in Blue.  :(

It was just a nice to have... black is fine for my helmet  ;D

Now, back to normal programming :D
Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2011, 06:02:37 PM »

It was just a nice to have... black is fine for my helmet  ;D

Now, back to normal programming :D

I'm trying to get away from Black helmets...they are HOT in the summer.  Silver is a good option...or white if you want to be seen.

Besides...ALL HD riders wear Black.... :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: ;)

TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2011, 06:07:25 PM »

That could be a good possibility for him.  ;) Helmets are like gloves.....need lots of different ones for different times....and can't ever stop looking for the perfect one/pair.  har.  spyder

You got that right, Spyd...I cleaned out the basement a week or so ago and gave away 2 motorcycle helmets (old Bells), two Bicycle helmets, and 3 or 4 pairs of gloves.  I kept 2 motorcycle helmets and 4 pairs if motorcycle gloves though.  Can't ever have too many doo-rags either...or jackets.

TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2011, 06:16:15 PM »

In fact, this is my latest aquisition...still in the "testing" phase to be sure it fits right before I put it to serious use.  Not for everybody's taste, but I like it.

TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2011, 06:16:59 PM »

Alternate mode...

TTS Mastertune

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2011, 06:23:15 PM »

Alternate mode...

That was my first choice going into the search for a new helmet.  I went to the local CycleGear and got a chance to see a size M... they did not have a L to test... I like it a lot!  But can't find one to test on my head...

How is the wind buffeting with it?  Weight?  Feel free to send me an email to avoid another  :jack: - wachuko@yahoo.com
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 06:30:36 PM by wachuko »
Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2011, 06:30:10 PM »

The test as to whether or not I'd like it will be after you ride with it and report back.  How heavy, noisy, wind resistance when turning head, vision, cheek comfort, etc., etc....?????  Only then will I add it to my wish list.  :drink: har.  spyder

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2011, 07:08:25 PM »

The test as to whether or not I'd like it will be after you ride with it and report back.  How heavy, noisy, wind resistance when turning head, vision, cheek comfort, etc., etc....?????  Only then will I add it to my wish list.  :drink: har.  spyder

I can tell you a couple of those things now 'cause I've been wearing it for 1-2 hours while playing on the 'puter...it's relatively heavy, but very balanced in both positions, so it feels much lighter than it is.  Cheek pads are very plush and comfortable, as is the liner.  Also very easy to remove for cleaning.  Vision is excellent...much larger opening than most FF helmets I've ever worn/tried, and the chin bar is lower, so viewing the instruments is easy, without moving your head.  I've had the crud the last few days, so have been unable to test it riding, but plan on doing so Wednesday...it's supposed to be 78 degrees here, and I'm about over this damn cold now.  Will report back on the test ride Thursday...I've got a little 60-80 mile run I do to test things out and keep my skills honed...some good twisties, two lanes, and a nice section of 4 lane to get some speed up.

TTS Mastertune

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2011, 07:20:33 PM »

I can tell you a couple of those things now 'cause I've been wearing it for 1-2 hours while playing on the 'puter...it's relatively heavy, but very balanced in both positions, so it feels much lighter than it is.  Cheek pads are very plush and comfortable, as is the liner.  Also very easy to remove for cleaning.  Vision is excellent...much larger opening than most FF helmets I've ever worn/tried, and the chin bar is lower, so viewing the instruments is easy, without moving your head.  I've had the crud the last few days, so have been unable to test it riding, but plan on doing so Wednesday...it's supposed to be 78 degrees here, and I'm about over this damn cold now.  Will report back on the test ride Thursday...I've got a little 60-80 mile run I do to test things out and keep my skills honed...some good twisties, two lanes, and a nice section of 4 lane to get some speed up.
Feel better quickly & report back from the 'test ride'.  :2vrolijk_21: :drink: spyder

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2011, 07:50:13 PM »

I think Buy Early made his comment in jest (at least that's the way I took it) and I followed suit.  Yes, The Kooky things some Wing riders do or wear, especially as couples, always gives us a laugh.

I rode a Goldwing just long enough to know that there's an attitude amongst Wing riders about those Harley riders, too.  :nixweiss: 

So you and your wife always wore matching helmets and big black leather jackets..........just like most of those dam Harley riders. :huepfenlol2:

No worries.  Thanks.
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2011, 07:50:59 PM »

Nuff said.  

Well said, Ken! I have ridden with lots of people over the years, and frankly I don't care what they ride - as long as they are nice people.

On our Cherohala Skyway trip a couple of weeks ago, I saw an older guy pull up on a vintage '82 Aspencade Gold Wing - the top of the line back then. I chatted with him for the better part of an hour. He was taking the bike out with his son and granddaughter on their bike. Nice folks... he was very proud of the old Wing, and told me the entire story of it. I rode with a bunch of guys back in the early and mid 80s who all had Aspencades and Interstates... back when I was riding my fast-as-lightning Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator... so it took me back to the memories of the time in my life. It felt good!

On the subject of helmets - I bought a new H-D helmet about 6 weeks ago that I really like. It has a tinted eye shield that retracts up inside the helmet, which keeps it from getting scratched up, and is very convenient to push up at lights, and quickly pull down again. It's black, of course...

I was wondering about a previous post saying that painting a helmet is a no-no. It there some law against it or something? Just curious as to why it's a no-no?

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2011, 08:00:54 PM »

:jack:...

:worthless: :worthless:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2011, 08:14:26 PM »

It's essential you try on a helmet before buying one.  All heads are shaped differently and every manufacturer has a trademark shape.  Some longer, others more round, or oval.  I find Shoie has worked very well for me.  A little on the pricy side, but well worth it.

I've been wearing the Syncrotech for the last five years.  It's time for a new Helmet.  My decision is to purchase a Multitech.  They've improved the airflow over the Syncrotech.  My wife has had one for several years and loves it. http://www.shoei-helmets.com/Helmet.aspx?Multitec&h=13&t=1

The quality of construction on these helmets is excellent and well worth the price, IMHO. :cool26:

My head is somewhat round and this fits the Shoie pattern well.  You may find Nolans to be longer in design, rather than rounder, etc.  Find the one that fits you.  I've heard from several friends, the HJCs to be a bit on the noisey side.

I believe I'll go along with the silver suggestion.  Thanks.

Good luck in your process locating a good one for you.
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2011, 08:14:31 PM »

I was wondering about a previous post saying that painting a helmet is a no-no. It there some law against it or something? Just curious as to why it's a no-no?
No, I think he was referring to the opinions surrounding the possibilities of compromising the effectiveness of the helmet in some ways.  :deal2: :zstupid: :deal: spyder

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2011, 08:32:56 PM »

No, I think he was referring to the opinions surrounding the possibilities of compromising the effectiveness of the helmet in some ways.  :deal2: :zstupid: :deal: spyder

Hmmm... it's hard for me to see how simply painting a helmet would compromise anything... but there is always the legalese that is there to protect the manufacturer!

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
The Wizard's Tune

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2011, 08:36:48 PM »

No, I think he was referring to the opinions surrounding the possibilities of compromising the effectiveness of the helmet in some ways.  :deal2: :zstupid: :deal: spyder

Right Spyder. With the wrong chemicals, it might (remote possibility) degrade the quality of the shell.  
(bottom of the page) http://helmetstuff.com/helmet-care.shtml  It's not recommended, but it's a personal decision.  We are risk takers, are we not?  Hello, we ride motorcycles.  So I also believe this is lawyer-speak for trying to mitigate their postion, should something happen.  

Automotive grade acrylic paints would be safe for most applications and won't cause your helmet to cave in if you sneeze.  I'd do it, but would be very selective about what paint to use.  :2vrolijk_21:  If it were a problem, then Corvettes, Goldwings, Saturns and whatever else is painted fiberglass would fall apart.
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2011, 08:42:33 PM »

:jack:...

:worthless: :worthless:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

No way, Gary....I refuse to incriminate myself, or prove beyond any doubt how goofy I am.   :huepfenlol2: :nervous:

TTS Mastertune

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2011, 08:43:58 PM »

Just Google'd "harm in painting a motorcycle helmet" and these are a couple of the comments that came back from that search...

"Do not paint it or attach decals to it unless you have the go-ahead from the manufacturers. The chemicals used in glues and paints can damage the helmet."

"Never repaint your helmet with paints that are not authorized by the manufacturer."

Remember I'm only the messenger... and if that's the case... especially about the decals... then the majority of us would have helmets that are deteriorating on our heads as I type... myself included. :shocked2:)

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2011, 08:45:34 PM »

No way, Gary....I refuse to incriminate myself, or prove beyond any doubt how goofy I am.   :huepfenlol2: :nervous:
Ah hell... I've got a mental picture of it... the real thing might cost me a keyboard due to Pepsi Spew. :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2011, 08:50:12 PM »

Ah hell... I've got a mental picture of it... the real thing might cost me a keyboard due to Pepsi Spew. :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:D

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2011, 09:15:25 PM »

Right Spyder. With the wrong chemicals, it might (remote possibility) degrade the quality of the shell.  
(bottom of the page) http://helmetstuff.com/helmet-care.shtml  It's not recommended, but it's a personal decision.  We are risk takers, are we not?  Hello, we ride motorcycles.  So I also believe this is lawyer-speak for trying to mitigate their postion, should something happen.  

Automotive grade acrylic paints would be safe for most applications and won't cause your helmet to cave in if you sneeze.  I'd do it, but would be very selective about what paint to use.  :2vrolijk_21:  If it were a problem, then Corvettes, Goldwings, Saturns and whatever else is painted fiberglass would fall apart.

Correct.  That is the reason I mentioned it.  But thinking about it, that was the case many moons ago when the paint had stronger chemicals in it... pretty sure today, with some of the new types of eco friendly paints, that is no longer the case. 

Either way, I am happy with a black helmet... goes with everything  :D
Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2011, 09:45:05 PM »

Just Google'd "harm in painting a motorcycle helmet" and these are a couple of the comments that came back from that search...

"Do not paint it or attach decals to it unless you have the go-ahead from the manufacturers. The chemicals used in glues and paints can damage the helmet."

"Never repaint your helmet with paints that are not authorized by the manufacturer."

Remember I'm only the messenger... and if that's the case... especially about the decals... then the majority of us would have helmets that are deteriorating on our heads as I type... myself included. :shocked2:)

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Hey D00d... thanks for looking around. I know you're only the messenger, and my comments aren't directed at you.

But frankly, those quotes you found via Google sound like a great big load of legalistic horse crap spewed by fearful manufacturers to me.... an'  I ain't buyin' it! I can't believe that a simple coat of paint could "compromise" a helmet's integrity. How exactly would that happen? if someone on here knows, I'd sure like the info. Hell, the helmet ITSELF is painted, right? I just don't get it... what's different about a helmet shell from say... an ABS or fiberglass saddlebag, fairing, etc? Sounds very fishy to me that a coat of paint could cause any damage to a helmet... just sayin'... but I'll be happy to stand corrected if anyone has reliable info about this subject...

The Wizard's Tune

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2011, 09:51:28 PM »

Hey D00d... thanks for looking around. I know you're only the messenger, and my comments aren't directed at you.

But frankly, those quotes you found via Google sound like a great big load of legalistic horse crap spewed by fearful manufacturers to me.... an'  I ain't buyin' it! I can't believe that a simple coat of paint could "compromise" a helmet's integrity. How exactly would that happen? if someone on here knows, I'd sure like the info. Hell, the helmet ITSELF is painted, right? I just don't get it... what's different about a helmet shell from say... an ABS or fiberglass saddlebag, fairing, etc? Sounds very fishy to me that a coat of paint could cause any damage to a helmet... just sayin'... but I'll be happy to stand corrected if anyone has reliable info about this subject...
No worries. :2vrolijk_21: I'm not buying/believing it either that's why I stated most of us (myself included) would have helmets deteriorating  on our heads because of labels/stickers. :o

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2011, 10:39:29 PM »

No worries. :2vrolijk_21: I'm not buying/believing it either that's why I stated most of us (myself included) would have helmets deteriorating  on our heads because of labels/stickers. :o

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

And I too have NEVER seen anything remotely like "helmet deterioration" happen from stickers:zwtf:  :ROFLOL: 

The Wizard's Tune

Wild Card

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2011, 09:31:51 AM »

Since none of us appear to be chemists, it's safe to say that our opinions on whether paint or stickers can affect the integrity of the helmet are pretty much worthless.  I think that if the manufacture suggests that paint or sticker residue CAN react with the shell, I'm gonna take their word for it.  The chemical reaction that COULD happen between the two might not be something we can see, but I sure as hell don't want to put that to the test against a cement highway divider.  I mean, if dropping a helmet from a few feet can negatively alter its effectiveness, then I don't think this painting effect is that unbelievable. 

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2011, 10:15:36 AM »

A polymer sealant causes crazing in plastic.....saw it first hand....twice....on a lexan windshield.  Took a long time.....maybe over a period of a year or so.  I thought it was caused by the temps here in the big valley being in the triple digits before somebody told me.

Did a little research on the net and sure enough.....don't use a polymer sealant on certain types of plastic. :nixweiss:  That was years ago....but I've been very careful to not use anything on my helmets except the plastic cleaners like Plexis, etc. :2vrolijk_21:

Having said that......I do use the polymer sealant (Auto Magic) on the painted surfaces (and chrome) of my bikes and haven't noticed any crazing.  Not sure if it's because they're painted surfaces that are already sealed or because it's a different type of plastic (or is it a rubber product class?).
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 10:18:06 AM by JCZ »

West Coast GTG   

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2011, 12:18:58 PM »

The painting issue was explained to me this way. Keep in mind this is me reporting what was told to me by someone who had been told by a helmet manufacturer:

The VOC's (volatile organic compounds), or the evaporating solvent in the paint, can have an adverse effect on the styrofoam, which is the cushion part of the helmet that protects your noggin'. Ever poured gasoline in a styrofoam coffee cup? Similar effect just not as quick to react. I don't think it is the reaction on the shell that is as big of a concern as the deterioration of the padding.

How about some vinyl skins like the motocross guys use?

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2011, 10:16:12 PM »

How about some vinyl skins like the motocross guys use?
Did the manufactures say that they were safe to use?  :-\ spyder

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2011, 09:44:16 PM »

In fact, this is my latest aquisition...still in the "testing" phase to be sure it fits right before I put it to serious use.  Not for everybody's taste, but I like it.
"I am your father"... ;Dlol nice looking lid. TC
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

Spanky

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2012, 08:18:56 PM »

My wife and I  have matching helmets. And we always have to look on the inside to see who's. Is whose. So if you get matching helmets. I suggest. Putting. A sticker or something  on the outside to see who's is who's.  But then they wouldn't be matching.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 09:25:54 AM by Spanky »

Big Red

• 2012 FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2012, 04:19:38 PM »

My wife and I bought helmets yesterday, I bought half, and she got 3/4 with a shield.  Should we have gotten them matching? 

What are you opinion?

My wife wanted matching helmets, but i put my foot down and refused to wear pink. LOL ;D

Deep Blue Dives

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: "Cali" - 2012 CVO Streetglide
« Reply #60 on: February 29, 2012, 12:58:24 PM »

I would love to be able to just find one matching my bike color scheme...

I understand painting helmets is a big no-no, and can understand why HD does not provide them (too many choices to be able to please folks...).  But a full face, flip up, helmet with my CVO color scheme would look great!

I got close to the color scheme for my bike off the shelf -it is a lot lighter when the sun hits it -  get a lot of positive comments on it.  Custom paint job would be nicer - but that is too much dough!
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 01:00:08 PM by Possum »
"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be" ~Pink Floyd
"Counting all the assholes in the room...I'm definitely not alone" ~Volbeat

Cyclegirl

• Loven Life on the Road
  • Full CVO Member
    • NM

• CVO1: 2015 Road Glide Special
    • Cycle adventures
« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2012, 07:55:48 PM »

I have one that matches my bike. I would rather match my bike then match my passenger
- Renay

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #62 on: June 16, 2012, 11:00:56 PM »

Several years ago myth busters did a heat thing regarding white and black helmets, Snell approved. I have always worn flat black helmets and still do, wife wears gloss as that is what she wants. But back to reason for post, I thought the black would be noticeably hotter, NOT the case. Seems the stryofoam does not absob or transfer the heat thru to your skull. Only thing hotter was the outer shell - no difference inside the liner. So wear whatever brand/color you want makes no difference on heat on your head.
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Page created in 0.301 seconds with 21 queries.