Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: Matching helmets  (Read 15754 times)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: Matching helmets
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2011, 06:02:37 PM »

It was just a nice to have... black is fine for my helmet  ;D

Now, back to normal programming :D

I'm trying to get away from Black helmets...they are HOT in the summer.  Silver is a good option...or white if you want to be seen.

Besides...ALL HD riders wear Black.... :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: ;)
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2011, 06:07:25 PM »

That could be a good possibility for him.  ;) Helmets are like gloves.....need lots of different ones for different times....and can't ever stop looking for the perfect one/pair.  har.  spyder

You got that right, Spyd...I cleaned out the basement a week or so ago and gave away 2 motorcycle helmets (old Bells), two Bicycle helmets, and 3 or 4 pairs of gloves.  I kept 2 motorcycle helmets and 4 pairs if motorcycle gloves though.  Can't ever have too many doo-rags either...or jackets.

TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2011, 06:16:15 PM »

In fact, this is my latest aquisition...still in the "testing" phase to be sure it fits right before I put it to serious use.  Not for everybody's taste, but I like it.

TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2011, 06:16:59 PM »

Alternate mode...

TTS Mastertune

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black - Gone
    • CVO2: 2012 Road Glide Custom CVO in Candy Cobalt-Twilight Blue - Gone
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2011, 06:23:15 PM »

Alternate mode...

That was my first choice going into the search for a new helmet.  I went to the local CycleGear and got a chance to see a size M... they did not have a L to test... I like it a lot!  But can't find one to test on my head...

How is the wind buffeting with it?  Weight?  Feel free to send me an email to avoid another  :jack: - wachuko@yahoo.com
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 06:30:36 PM by wachuko »
Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S
2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black with Aztec Shadow graphics. Gone!

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2011, 06:30:10 PM »

The test as to whether or not I'd like it will be after you ride with it and report back.  How heavy, noisy, wind resistance when turning head, vision, cheek comfort, etc., etc....?????  Only then will I add it to my wish list.  :drink: har.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2011, 07:08:25 PM »

The test as to whether or not I'd like it will be after you ride with it and report back.  How heavy, noisy, wind resistance when turning head, vision, cheek comfort, etc., etc....?????  Only then will I add it to my wish list.  :drink: har.  spyder

I can tell you a couple of those things now 'cause I've been wearing it for 1-2 hours while playing on the 'puter...it's relatively heavy, but very balanced in both positions, so it feels much lighter than it is.  Cheek pads are very plush and comfortable, as is the liner.  Also very easy to remove for cleaning.  Vision is excellent...much larger opening than most FF helmets I've ever worn/tried, and the chin bar is lower, so viewing the instruments is easy, without moving your head.  I've had the crud the last few days, so have been unable to test it riding, but plan on doing so Wednesday...it's supposed to be 78 degrees here, and I'm about over this damn cold now.  Will report back on the test ride Thursday...I've got a little 60-80 mile run I do to test things out and keep my skills honed...some good twisties, two lanes, and a nice section of 4 lane to get some speed up.

TTS Mastertune

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2011, 07:20:33 PM »

I can tell you a couple of those things now 'cause I've been wearing it for 1-2 hours while playing on the 'puter...it's relatively heavy, but very balanced in both positions, so it feels much lighter than it is.  Cheek pads are very plush and comfortable, as is the liner.  Also very easy to remove for cleaning.  Vision is excellent...much larger opening than most FF helmets I've ever worn/tried, and the chin bar is lower, so viewing the instruments is easy, without moving your head.  I've had the crud the last few days, so have been unable to test it riding, but plan on doing so Wednesday...it's supposed to be 78 degrees here, and I'm about over this damn cold now.  Will report back on the test ride Thursday...I've got a little 60-80 mile run I do to test things out and keep my skills honed...some good twisties, two lanes, and a nice section of 4 lane to get some speed up.
Feel better quickly & report back from the 'test ride'.  :2vrolijk_21: :drink: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2011, 07:50:13 PM »

I think Buy Early made his comment in jest (at least that's the way I took it) and I followed suit.  Yes, The Kooky things some Wing riders do or wear, especially as couples, always gives us a laugh.

I rode a Goldwing just long enough to know that there's an attitude amongst Wing riders about those Harley riders, too.  :nixweiss: 

So you and your wife always wore matching helmets and big black leather jackets..........just like most of those dam Harley riders. :huepfenlol2:

No worries.  Thanks.
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2011, 07:50:59 PM »

Honda bashing seems to be sorta in the vogue here.  Does it make you feel big or better than them?   :oops:  I realize this may be good natured banter and such, but there is a point where I feel the need to speak up.  I met a lot of very nice people riding those bikes and don't regret one minute.  I rode Goldwings for the past eight years and can tell you they are one hell of a bike.  

The Kooky things some Wing riders do or wear, especially as couples, always gives me a laugh. But my wife and I would never do that.  Most Wing riders wouldn't  Oh, that's right we both wore black leathers and black helmets, so I guess we did dress alike.  Even so, if they want to look ridiculous, that's their choice.  It has not got a fippen thing to do with the bike.  

I'd bet just as many disparaging comments can be made the other direction.  But quite frankly, not worth the effort.  Everyone has the potential to ridiculous to someone else...  

I love my CVO, but it's unfortunate this attitude prevails about Wing riders.  I do not share it.  Matter of fact, I believe a number of members of this group still own Wings.  So, does that make them lesser than, when they ride them? We are not our bikes. We are people who choose a particular mode of transportation that happens to be very similar.  Nothing more.

To me, all bikers are my Brothers and Sisters, regardless of what they ride.  We share the love of the open road and a mode of transport that isn't for everyone.  That brings us together, not divides.  Hell, if my garage and wallet were big enough, I'd have just about every type for whatever mood I'm in...just saying.

Nuff said.  
:pumpkin:

Well said, Ken! I have ridden with lots of people over the years, and frankly I don't care what they ride - as long as they are nice people.

On our Cherohala Skyway trip a couple of weeks ago, I saw an older guy pull up on a vintage '82 Aspencade Gold Wing - the top of the line back then. I chatted with him for the better part of an hour. He was taking the bike out with his son and granddaughter on their bike. Nice folks... he was very proud of the old Wing, and told me the entire story of it. I rode with a bunch of guys back in the early and mid 80s who all had Aspencades and Interstates... back when I was riding my fast-as-lightning Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator... so it took me back to the memories of the time in my life. It felt good!

On the subject of helmets - I bought a new H-D helmet about 6 weeks ago that I really like. It has a tinted eye shield that retracts up inside the helmet, which keeps it from getting scratched up, and is very convenient to push up at lights, and quickly pull down again. It's black, of course...

I was wondering about a previous post saying that painting a helmet is a no-no. It there some law against it or something? Just curious as to why it's a no-no?

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2011, 08:00:54 PM »

:jack:...

:worthless: :worthless:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2011, 08:14:26 PM »

It's essential you try on a helmet before buying one.  All heads are shaped differently and every manufacturer has a trademark shape.  Some longer, others more round, or oval.  I find Shoie has worked very well for me.  A little on the pricy side, but well worth it.

I've been wearing the Syncrotech for the last five years.  It's time for a new Helmet.  My decision is to purchase a Multitech.  They've improved the airflow over the Syncrotech.  My wife has had one for several years and loves it. http://www.shoei-helmets.com/Helmet.aspx?Multitec&h=13&t=1

The quality of construction on these helmets is excellent and well worth the price, IMHO. :cool26:

My head is somewhat round and this fits the Shoie pattern well.  You may find Nolans to be longer in design, rather than rounder, etc.  Find the one that fits you.  I've heard from several friends, the HJCs to be a bit on the noisey side.

I believe I'll go along with the silver suggestion.  Thanks.

Good luck in your process locating a good one for you.
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2011, 08:14:31 PM »

I was wondering about a previous post saying that painting a helmet is a no-no. It there some law against it or something? Just curious as to why it's a no-no?
No, I think he was referring to the opinions surrounding the possibilities of compromising the effectiveness of the helmet in some ways.  :deal2: :zstupid: :deal: spyder

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2011, 08:32:56 PM »

No, I think he was referring to the opinions surrounding the possibilities of compromising the effectiveness of the helmet in some ways.  :deal2: :zstupid: :deal: spyder

Hmmm... it's hard for me to see how simply painting a helmet would compromise anything... but there is always the legalese that is there to protect the manufacturer!

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2011, 08:36:48 PM »

No, I think he was referring to the opinions surrounding the possibilities of compromising the effectiveness of the helmet in some ways.  :deal2: :zstupid: :deal: spyder

Right Spyder. With the wrong chemicals, it might (remote possibility) degrade the quality of the shell.  
(bottom of the page) http://helmetstuff.com/helmet-care.shtml  It's not recommended, but it's a personal decision.  We are risk takers, are we not?  Hello, we ride motorcycles.  So I also believe this is lawyer-speak for trying to mitigate their postion, should something happen.  

Automotive grade acrylic paints would be safe for most applications and won't cause your helmet to cave in if you sneeze.  I'd do it, but would be very selective about what paint to use.  :2vrolijk_21:  If it were a problem, then Corvettes, Goldwings, Saturns and whatever else is painted fiberglass would fall apart.
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 21 queries.