Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: Matching helmets  (Read 15867 times)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: Matching helmets
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2011, 08:42:33 PM »

:jack:...

:worthless: :worthless:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

No way, Gary....I refuse to incriminate myself, or prove beyond any doubt how goofy I am.   :huepfenlol2: :nervous:
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2011, 08:43:58 PM »

I was wondering about a previous post saying that painting a helmet is a no-no. It there some law against it or something? Just curious as to why it's a no-no?
Just Google'd "harm in painting a motorcycle helmet" and these are a couple of the comments that came back from that search...

"Do not paint it or attach decals to it unless you have the go-ahead from the manufacturers. The chemicals used in glues and paints can damage the helmet."

"Never repaint your helmet with paints that are not authorized by the manufacturer."

Remember I'm only the messenger... and if that's the case... especially about the decals... then the majority of us would have helmets that are deteriorating on our heads as I type... myself included. :shocked2:)

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2011, 08:45:34 PM »

No way, Gary....I refuse to incriminate myself, or prove beyond any doubt how goofy I am.   :huepfenlol2: :nervous:
Ah hell... I've got a mental picture of it... the real thing might cost me a keyboard due to Pepsi Spew. :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2011, 08:50:12 PM »

Ah hell... I've got a mental picture of it... the real thing might cost me a keyboard due to Pepsi Spew. :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:D
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black - Gone
    • CVO2: 2012 Road Glide Custom CVO in Candy Cobalt-Twilight Blue - Gone
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2011, 09:15:25 PM »

Right Spyder. With the wrong chemicals, it might (remote possibility) degrade the quality of the shell.  
(bottom of the page) http://helmetstuff.com/helmet-care.shtml  It's not recommended, but it's a personal decision.  We are risk takers, are we not?  Hello, we ride motorcycles.  So I also believe this is lawyer-speak for trying to mitigate their postion, should something happen.  

Automotive grade acrylic paints would be safe for most applications and won't cause your helmet to cave in if you sneeze.  I'd do it, but would be very selective about what paint to use.  :2vrolijk_21:  If it were a problem, then Corvettes, Goldwings, Saturns and whatever else is painted fiberglass would fall apart.

Correct.  That is the reason I mentioned it.  But thinking about it, that was the case many moons ago when the paint had stronger chemicals in it... pretty sure today, with some of the new types of eco friendly paints, that is no longer the case. 

Either way, I am happy with a black helmet... goes with everything  :D
Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S
2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black with Aztec Shadow graphics. Gone!

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2011, 09:45:05 PM »

Just Google'd "harm in painting a motorcycle helmet" and these are a couple of the comments that came back from that search...

"Do not paint it or attach decals to it unless you have the go-ahead from the manufacturers. The chemicals used in glues and paints can damage the helmet."

"Never repaint your helmet with paints that are not authorized by the manufacturer."

Remember I'm only the messenger... and if that's the case... especially about the decals... then the majority of us would have helmets that are deteriorating on our heads as I type... myself included. :shocked2:)

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Hey D00d... thanks for looking around. I know you're only the messenger, and my comments aren't directed at you.

But frankly, those quotes you found via Google sound like a great big load of legalistic horse crap spewed by fearful manufacturers to me.... an'  I ain't buyin' it! I can't believe that a simple coat of paint could "compromise" a helmet's integrity. How exactly would that happen? if someone on here knows, I'd sure like the info. Hell, the helmet ITSELF is painted, right? I just don't get it... what's different about a helmet shell from say... an ABS or fiberglass saddlebag, fairing, etc? Sounds very fishy to me that a coat of paint could cause any damage to a helmet... just sayin'... but I'll be happy to stand corrected if anyone has reliable info about this subject...

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2011, 09:51:28 PM »

Hey D00d... thanks for looking around. I know you're only the messenger, and my comments aren't directed at you.

But frankly, those quotes you found via Google sound like a great big load of legalistic horse crap spewed by fearful manufacturers to me.... an'  I ain't buyin' it! I can't believe that a simple coat of paint could "compromise" a helmet's integrity. How exactly would that happen? if someone on here knows, I'd sure like the info. Hell, the helmet ITSELF is painted, right? I just don't get it... what's different about a helmet shell from say... an ABS or fiberglass saddlebag, fairing, etc? Sounds very fishy to me that a coat of paint could cause any damage to a helmet... just sayin'... but I'll be happy to stand corrected if anyone has reliable info about this subject...
No worries. :2vrolijk_21: I'm not buying/believing it either that's why I stated most of us (myself included) would have helmets deteriorating  on our heads because of labels/stickers. :o

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2011, 10:39:29 PM »

No worries. :2vrolijk_21: I'm not buying/believing it either that's why I stated most of us (myself included) would have helmets deteriorating  on our heads because of labels/stickers. :o

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

And I too have NEVER seen anything remotely like "helmet deterioration" happen from stickers:zwtf:  :ROFLOL: 

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

Wild Card

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2011, 09:31:51 AM »

Since none of us appear to be chemists, it's safe to say that our opinions on whether paint or stickers can affect the integrity of the helmet are pretty much worthless.  I think that if the manufacture suggests that paint or sticker residue CAN react with the shell, I'm gonna take their word for it.  The chemical reaction that COULD happen between the two might not be something we can see, but I sure as hell don't want to put that to the test against a cement highway divider.  I mean, if dropping a helmet from a few feet can negatively alter its effectiveness, then I don't think this painting effect is that unbelievable. 

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2011, 10:15:36 AM »

A polymer sealant causes crazing in plastic.....saw it first hand....twice....on a lexan windshield.  Took a long time.....maybe over a period of a year or so.  I thought it was caused by the temps here in the big valley being in the triple digits before somebody told me.

Did a little research on the net and sure enough.....don't use a polymer sealant on certain types of plastic. :nixweiss:  That was years ago....but I've been very careful to not use anything on my helmets except the plastic cleaners like Plexis, etc. :2vrolijk_21:

Having said that......I do use the polymer sealant (Auto Magic) on the painted surfaces (and chrome) of my bikes and haven't noticed any crazing.  Not sure if it's because they're painted surfaces that are already sealed or because it's a different type of plastic (or is it a rubber product class?).
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 10:18:06 AM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2011, 12:18:58 PM »

The painting issue was explained to me this way. Keep in mind this is me reporting what was told to me by someone who had been told by a helmet manufacturer:

The VOC's (volatile organic compounds), or the evaporating solvent in the paint, can have an adverse effect on the styrofoam, which is the cushion part of the helmet that protects your noggin'. Ever poured gasoline in a styrofoam coffee cup? Similar effect just not as quick to react. I don't think it is the reaction on the shell that is as big of a concern as the deterioration of the padding.

How about some vinyl skins like the motocross guys use?

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2011, 10:16:12 PM »

How about some vinyl skins like the motocross guys use?
Did the manufactures say that they were safe to use?  :-\ spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2011, 09:44:16 PM »

In fact, this is my latest aquisition...still in the "testing" phase to be sure it fits right before I put it to serious use.  Not for everybody's taste, but I like it.
"I am your father"... ;Dlol nice looking lid. TC
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

Spanky

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2012, 08:18:56 PM »

My wife and I  have matching helmets. And we always have to look on the inside to see who's. Is whose. So if you get matching helmets. I suggest. Putting. A sticker or something  on the outside to see who's is who's.  But then they wouldn't be matching.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 09:25:54 AM by Spanky »

Big Red

• 2012 FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2012, 04:19:38 PM »

My wife and I bought helmets yesterday, I bought half, and she got 3/4 with a shield.  Should we have gotten them matching? 

What are you opinion?

My wife wanted matching helmets, but i put my foot down and refused to wear pink. LOL ;D
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.244 seconds with 21 queries.