Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 6 speed tranny??  (Read 3365 times)

firegabe

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
6 speed tranny??
« on: June 02, 2006, 10:47:37 AM »

Has any one converted thier trans to a 6 spd?  My 2001 fat boy has a cable clutch 5 spd.  But I am thinking of the 6 spd,  for two reasons,  I commute with my bike free way 99% of the way at 70-90 MPH, this would drop my rpm
also it would be nice to get at least the 200 miles per tank I hear can be done.  I travel almost 100 miles each way. (it would be nice to only stop for gas once a day)  

And No I won't slow down! that is what traffic is like here in LA.

Thanks in advance!
I still can't believe I bought it!!!!

kng103

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2004  SE-103          ROAD KING CLASSIC
Re: 6 speed tranny??
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 11:13:58 AM »

do you know what gearing your bike has?
i am very happy with the se-6 speed, but i changed out my gearing.

2004 flhrci se-103 pearl white
bassani true duals w/ho mufflers
se air cleaner
sert
se-251 cam
s&s reed valve
24/37 gearing
se-6 sp
rumble road speakers
2008 lincoln mark lt(silver)

firegabe

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 12:24:00 PM »

I have no idea what my gearing is is there a way for me to find out?
I still can't believe I bought it!!!!

kng103

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2004  SE-103          ROAD KING CLASSIC
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 01:37:02 PM »

I have no idea what my gearing is is there a way for me to find out?

the owners manual should tell you the final gear drive ratio.

2004 flhrci se-103 pearl white
bassani true duals w/ho mufflers
se air cleaner
sert
se-251 cam
s&s reed valve
24/37 gearing
se-6 sp
rumble road speakers
2008 lincoln mark lt(silver)

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 04:04:23 PM »

Has any one converted thier trans to a 6 spd?  My 2001 fat boy has a cable clutch 5 spd.  But I am thinking of the 6 spd,  for two reasons,  I commute with my bike free way 99% of the way at 70-90 MPH, this would drop my rpm
also it would be nice to get at least the 200 miles per tank I hear can be done.  I travel almost 100 miles each way. (it would be nice to only stop for gas once a day)  

[highlight]And No I won't slow down! that is what traffic is like here in LA.[/highlight]

Which LA are you talking about Dude ? I went through the City of Angels last Friday morning on the 405 freeway and sure as hell couldn't get it up to 90mph. Went through again Sunday afternoon and couldn't manage better than 70. When I was back in Maine we used to call Lewiston/Auburn  LA. You talkin about that LA Dude ?  

FYI on your 6 speed tranny question, there's a bunch of variables involved in how you can set these up. You need to discuss this with your tech before you have the work done and establish that you are looking for a .86 final drive ratio. That would not involve any changes to your primary gearing. This is pretty much standard for a Screamin Eagle install. If you wanted to go with a Baker 6 you would gear down the primary and end up with a 1 to 1 or Direct Drive final gear ratio. Bottom line, be proactive in this, do your homework, talk to your service guys. Be sure you get what YOU want.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 04:06:51 PM by SPIDERMAN »

Nasty Habit

• Full CVO Member
  • Starting Dec. 22nd, you can say Summer's Comming
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 04:51:36 PM »

I did the 6-speed SE conversion about 3,000 miles ago. It took getting used to having another gear. I found myself riding along and realizing I had the 6th to go. Once used to it, wind up running in 6th most of the time. I haven't seen a improvement in gas mileage, but then again, I ride pretty fast 95% of the time. I currently get 37.5 MPG doing the cruise max of 85 MPH. I am a far cry from 200/miles/tank, rather I am happy to get about 175 to the fill-up. Biggest gain I feel is the lower RPM (seems like about a 450 rpm drop), and this is basically why I did it.
Hope this helps, but am sure it doesn't...
NH
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, cold beer in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and yelling WHO, HOO! What a Ride...

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 05:29:39 PM »

I highly doubt you will see gas mileage improve, but you will see RPM's drop.   I would definately recommend calling Baker to find out more about final drive rations such as .80 / .86 then decide if this is what you want.   When I put the Baker in my road king i did it for 2 reasons one for the tall first and 2nd gear with the R2 tranny and then for the .80 final drive.   I had also geared down the primary to the 21 tooth counter sprocket.    So I had the best of both worlds really .. i could play at lights and could do 85 at 2950 rpm.   I am not saying buy Baker, but they are a great source of information and will point you in the right direction with good info.

They can be reached at 517-339-1777
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 06:41:38 PM »

I did the 6-speed SE conversion about 3,000 miles ago. It took getting used to having another gear. I found myself riding along and realizing I had the 6th to go. Once used to it, wind up running in 6th most of the time. I haven't seen a improvement in gas mileage, but then again, I ride pretty fast 95% of the time. I currently get [highlight]37.5[/highlight] MPG doing the cruise max of 85 MPH. [highlight]I am a far cry from 200/miles/tank, rather I am happy to get about 175 to the fill-up.[/highlight] Biggest gain I feel is the lower RPM (seems like about a 450 rpm drop), and this is basically why I did it.
Hope this helps, but am sure it doesn't...
NH
NH,

Just depends on how close you want to cut it.  37.5 mpg X 5.4 gallons = 202 miles, so you could get 200 miles to the tank.  Make sure there's a gas station at mile 201, however.  ;)

Actually, when you get to speeds above 50-60 mph, fuel mileage is affected more by wind and rolling resistance than it is by gear ratios and rpm.  The six speed really isn't going to help mileage much at all at the speeds you folks are running.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

jfscheck

• Senior CVO Member
  • also known as Da' Bear...
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2006, 12:26:24 AM »

Figure out the cost of the trans swap - then look at the actual fuel savings - doesn't make sense.

There are other reasons I am sure out there for getting a 6-speed than for better fuel mileage... :)
John "JFScheck" Scheck
H-D Screamin' Eagle CVO Electra Glide Ultra Classic in Autumn Haze & Vivid Black
"Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead."

Crawdaddy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Enjoy your Freedom
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006, 08:02:11 AM »

NH,

Just depends on how close you want to cut it.  37.5 mpg X 5.4 gallons = 202 miles, so you could get 200 miles to the tank.  Make sure there's a gas station at mile 201, however.  ;)

Actually, when you get to speeds above 50-60 mph, fuel mileage is affected more by wind and rolling resistance than it is by gear ratios and rpm.  The six speed really isn't going to help mileage much at all at the speeds you folks are running.

Jerry

I just rode to Austin and back this last weekend for ROT, two up.  I checked my MPG at every stop.  Into the wind, I did as bad as 39.6 going down.  Coming back, I did as good as 44.2.  My overall average was 42.4.  I was real pleased.  I am using the HD gear set.  Dyno on each cylinder, and 10:5 compression.  The tune up was key to this MPG.  Before the tune, I was averaging 36 MPG.  My moving average speed was 61 MPH according to the GPS trip info. (200 miles were in town and hill country)  Looks to me that I have it where I want it.  I was passing trucks on I-35 with strong acceleration from 80 to 95 in sixth gear.

I have 8,000 miles on the 6 six speed and no problems with tranny.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 08:04:50 AM by Crawdaddy »

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 22 queries.