Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: HD catch tray for oil filter  (Read 4999 times)

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
Re: HD catch tray for oil filter
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2011, 04:19:20 PM »

Where I work we aren't allowed to ride the bikes unless we can pick then up if they fall over.. it's all in the hip Jerry!

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2011, 09:10:58 AM »

Plastic bottle works better than that thing does.
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

Gatornapper

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2011, 07:59:51 PM »

I was in the dealer yesterday and saw a tray that fits under the oil filter to catch the oil when you change the filter.
Anyone here try one of these??? I know what a pita it is to clean up after the oil stops dripping from the filter.
Thanks

For years, I've been doing this:  After loosening the filter, but not to the point where it's leaking oil, I take a small
plastic bag that all stores put your stuff in, use the two "handles" to pull it tight to the right
side of the bike around the filter and tight against the oil filter mount.

Then with my hand, I spin off the filter a 1/4 turn at at time.  All the oil and filter then fall in the bag, and I pull
them off w/no runs, no drips, no errors.

Haven't tried it on my FLTRSE3 yet - and it's got the oil hoses up against the top front, so not sure it will work
on the CVO, but gonna try it.......

'09 CVO 'Screamin' Eagle' FLTRSE3 w/Rinehart slip-ons, WindSplitter shield
'97 FXDWG, Stage II, fully tricked-out, faster than my CVO

Patriot Guard Rider/Member For origin of "gatornapper", refer to July '65 Kosciusco County, Ind. court records, Walter Cronkite, Huntley/Brinkley evening news, & Indianapolis Star paper.

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2011, 07:45:53 AM »

Or maybe after this many years the MoCo could figure out that putting the filter in an inaccessible spot up against a sensor might not be the best idea?  And while they're at it, since their engines run so hot, perhaps the new mount could incorporate a cooler?  Never mind, "MoCo" and "figure out" don't go together.  I cut a piece of cardboard and stuff it up there.  Since I take the cooler loose to clean the road gunk out of it and the gravel out of the housing (another great design, btw) there is enough room to work the trough in there.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2011, 09:02:47 AM »

Or maybe after this many years the MoCo could figure out that putting the filter in an inaccessible spot up against a sensor might not be the best idea?  And while they're at it, since their engines run so hot, perhaps the new mount could incorporate a cooler?  Never mind, "MoCo" and "figure out" don't go together.  I cut a piece of cardboard and stuff it up there.  Since I take the cooler loose to clean the road gunk out of it and the gravel out of the housing (another great design, btw) there is enough room to work the trough in there.

A relocation like this kit is ringing my bell.  :nixweiss:
http://www.jerrysrigssystems.com/

Gatornapper

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2011, 09:31:03 AM »

A relocation like this kit is ringing my bell.  :nixweiss:
http://www.jerrysrigssystems.com/

Love it, but golly!  Price is worse than an H-D price!  Course, most of you other CVO guys
are probably rolling in $$$$, so it don't matter........  ;)

'09 CVO 'Screamin' Eagle' FLTRSE3 w/Rinehart slip-ons, WindSplitter shield
'97 FXDWG, Stage II, fully tricked-out, faster than my CVO

Patriot Guard Rider/Member For origin of "gatornapper", refer to July '65 Kosciusco County, Ind. court records, Walter Cronkite, Huntley/Brinkley evening news, & Indianapolis Star paper.

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2011, 09:04:02 AM »

Love it, but golly!  Price is worse than an H-D price!  Course, most of you other CVO guys
are probably rolling in $$$$, so it don't matter........  ;)

I dont know of anyone with one of these setups yet, but it certainly is tempting. I'm with you though, its to pricey...

Thundercloud

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2011, 12:47:13 PM »

I just take the filter off let it draim into the pan, and of course it runs all over,  then I just spray it down with Simple Green let it soak for a few minutes and hose it off. I always do my OC's just before a good washing anyway. I have tried the soda bottle, the tin foil, cardboard etc....... but never seemed to be full proof. 

I agree, you would think after all these years the Moco would have relocated the darn thing by now!!!!!!
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 22 queries.