Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: METZELER ME880  (Read 5103 times)

06BadBoy

• 2006 FLHTCUSE
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE, 4" Rhineharts, SERT
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
METZELER ME880
« on: August 21, 2011, 12:47:57 PM »

Just ordered new tires from Dennis Kirk, MT90HB-16 for the front and MU85HB-16 for rear, the MARATHON Total was only $240 with shipping (which was free anyway).
I grew up with METZELERS on almost everything I rode and when I purchased my current '06 CVO used in June it needed tires. I love cornering "briskly" so I can't wait to get these new skins on and ride!
Anybody else have a pref for METZELERS?

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
Re: METZELER ME880
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 02:39:01 PM »

I have used ME880's in the past on my Road Kings with good results. Rode good and had good dry and wet traction.
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 04:11:29 PM »

I love the ride and the handling,, just wish I wouldn't wear that rear tire out as fast as I do   :nixweiss:

BillH

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FLTRI
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 09:35:59 PM »

I've had 880 Marathon's on my last 3 bikes, and just put a set on my '08 RG last weekend.  I love these tires - the handling is great on both wet and dry surfaces, and the ride is SO much better than the stock Dunflops.  Same complaint as others, the rear won't go more than 7-8,000 miles, but for a performance tire, I'll change them at that point and keep going!

Bill
2008 FLTRI - 103, S&S 570 cams, SE cam plate, Ness Big Sucker, Woods lifters, GMR adjustable pushrods, Lozano Brothers heads, HPI 54mm throttle body mod, Supertrapp 2:1, SE compensator, BDL +1 clutch TTS tuner w/GMR Dyno, Ricor fork valves, Progressive 440's, Wild 1 515's bars, HID's, TrueTrack, J&M 71/2" speakers, Clearview +2, lots of other small stuff.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 10:34:24 PM »

I just ordered a pair of Dunlop elite 3s.  I thought I'd try something different and I've been told good things about their ride and they say the milage is a lot better.  I'll have them installed this week.. So we shall see.  :nixweiss:

Mr D

• 1K CVO Member
    • WI

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 10:57:29 PM »

I love the ride and the handling,, just wish I wouldn't wear that rear tire out as fast as I do   :nixweiss:
[/quote

Metz are very tire pressure sensitive, had a ME 880 rear go bad in 6k mi last year in Sturgis, Metz rep @ their tent display said he runs Max cold psi setting always, and never has a problom, took his advice been good to go since.

2014 FLHRSE6 Orange/Black
2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby/Typhoon [Sold]
2007 SEUC2 Red/Blk [Sold]
2006 SEUC Haze/Black [Sold]
2005 SEEG Yellow [Sold]
2003 VRSCA [Sold]
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Phil 4:13

Mr D

• 1K CVO Member
    • WI

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 10:59:04 PM »

I just ordered a pair of Dunlop elite 3s.  I thought I'd try something different and I've been told good things about their ride and they say the milage is a lot better.  I'll have them installed this week.. So we shall see.  :nixweiss:

Excellent tire  :2vrolijk_21: Made in the USA too
2014 FLHRSE6 Orange/Black
2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby/Typhoon [Sold]
2007 SEUC2 Red/Blk [Sold]
2006 SEUC Haze/Black [Sold]
2005 SEEG Yellow [Sold]
2003 VRSCA [Sold]
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Phil 4:13

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 11:16:26 PM »

Just ordered new tires from Dennis Kirk, MT90HB-16 for the front and MU85HB-16 for rear, the MARATHON Total was only $240 with shipping (which was free anyway).
I grew up with METZELERS on almost everything I rode and when I purchased my current '06 CVO used in June it needed tires. I love cornering "briskly" so I can't wait to get these new skins on and ride!

Ran them on my modified 2003 softail (S&S 585 cams, 95ci big bore kit, PM 240mm rear tire kit, etc).  I loved getting into the corners with the soft METZELERS but the wide rear tire seemed to flatten out because so soft.
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 11:25:43 PM »

i know how soft they seem,, I was looking at the Elite 3s and i can feel that this compound is definitely harder. I worry aboy rain conditions more than riding agressivley.  So I am hoping they are as good as what I have read on the wet roads.

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 11:31:43 PM »

i know how soft they seem,, I was looking at the Elite 3s and i can feel that this compound is definitely harder. I worry aboy rain conditions more than riding agressivley.  So I am hoping they are as good as what I have read on the wet roads.

I very happy with the Dunlops on the CVO.  Recently replaced them secondary to normal wear.  Good tire-IMO
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 01:07:41 AM »

the dunlops for the 09 and newer are also made with a harder compound and are also wider,, So that would help it lasting longer also..   We are riding around on the puney 130-140 tires which seem to wear out alot faster. >:(

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 06:22:36 PM »

Had used METZELERS  for many years in the past, were great tires. however I made sure I ordered the METZELERS that were manufactured in GERMANY, NOT BRAZIL. The Brazilian manufactured tires would delaminate and METZLER  would not stand behind the problem and kept denying their was anything wrong with the Brazilian Manufactured Tires, even though their were numerous reports out on the defect, and it became vert difficult for dealers to source the German made METZELER  tire.

Will be buying the Dunlop E3 Front and the Dunlop American Elite for the rear when time to buy tires for the GEEZERGLIDE, which should be soon.

geezerglide

There are many Post regarding this METZELER problem on Harley Tech Talk (HTT).

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2011, 03:43:02 PM »

[/quote

Metz are very tire pressure sensitive, had a ME 880 rear go bad in 6k mi last year in Sturgis, Metz rep @ their tent display said he runs Max cold psi setting always, and never has a problom, took his advice been good to go since.

Max air psi thats on tire or on Scooter. I love Metzeler and ain't gonna change, but would like better miles.

Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2011, 04:11:42 PM »

Metzler has their own recommended tire pressures listed in their literature and on their website.  On some tires they have a significantly higher inflation pressure recommendation when compared to the stock Dunlops, but you need to make sure you use the figures for the specific tire you're using.  For instance, the alpha designated tires (letter sizes like MU) use the same pressures as stock.  But the metric (ie. 140/85) designated 880's use a significantly higher pressure.  In the attachment, note the differences in the first two sections, and then the special note for certain sizes in the third section.  Click on the attachment to blow it up to full size btw.

Jerry

edit:  Metz lists their pressures as the minimum pressure in the tables, rather than the industry standard method of listing recommended cold inflation pressures.  Semantics perhaps, but it also leaves them a big out when folks complain about wear or other issues.  "Oh, you should be running higher pressures and that wouldn't happen" is something I've seen a lot of people claim they were told when they complained about high rates of wear.  My feeling is if they really want you to run 44 psi instead of 40, they should spell it out in the charts and not just through word of mouth that can be easily denied later.

Anyhow, somewhere between the number in the chart and the maximum inflation pressure molded into the sidewall is an optimum figure.  Personally, I'd probably shoot for something halfway between those two numbers and see how that works.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 08:32:14 AM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2011, 04:45:50 PM »

Once again Jerry saves me from being completly stupid. THANKS
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 21 queries.