Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: What are the differences between the 2011 RGC 103 and 2012 RGC CVO?  (Read 11714 times)

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black - Gone
    • CVO2: 2012 Road Glide Custom CVO in Candy Cobalt-Twilight Blue - Gone

I have a deposit on a 2012 Road Glide Custom CVO in Candy Cobalt/Twilight Blue with Real Smoke Graphics.  Trying to figure out the differences between both models and was hoping to get the information from you guys.  Hoping some 2012 CVOs owners out there can share some light.  The information on HD site, when it comes to the technical details and differences, well... suck!

What I hope to be my next ride:

Current ride:

Besides the obvious:

110 engine vs 103
All the chrome and blacked out bits
Gas tank and center console
Two-part seat
Rear fender/light treatment
Floating rotors front brakes
Sound system (which I hate that they short-changed RGC CVO buyers... they should have done the same that they did with the SG CVO...)

1. Any changes on the transmission internals?  The cover from the photos looks different from my 103 and not just in the color... Edit - Found the reason for the different cover - -  The addition of a high-performance clutch with hydraulic actuation.

2. What is the rear suspension setup in the CVO? Air? Normal shock? Performance shock?
3. How is the ride compared to a RGC 103?
4. What is the front suspension setup in the CVO? Different from the normal RGC or the same?
5. Seat height on the CVO is .5" higher... where does this come from, the seat sure looks lower? Ground clearance is the same...
6. With the seat not allowing for the install of a backrest, how comfortable is it?
7. Any comments on the bars? I was wondering how those compare to the heritage bars.

8. The security system changed? I found a photo of the new fob and it looked like it had two buttons to activate and deactivate the alarm. But HD is known for using old photos... Edit: Photo is misleading. RGC CVO comes with normal security fob and audible alert...no locking/unlocking funtion of the saddlebags.

Thank you in advanced!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 03:52:34 PM by wachuko »
Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S
2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black with Aztec Shadow graphics. Gone!

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
Re: What are the differences between the 2011 RGC 103 and 2012 RGC CVO?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 01:41:25 PM »

Those buttons on the FOB, lock and unlock the saddlebags.

Security can be setup different ways, but it comes out of the box that the security is engaged when the FOB is away from bike automatically

I cannot imagine transmission is different.

rear shocks are still HD air shocks

front the same as all RG

Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 02:03:02 PM »

Security can be setup different ways, but it comes out of the box that the security is engaged when the FOB is away from bike automatically

front the same as all RG

No need to make fun of the new guy, come one, to lock and unlock the saddlebags, really!?  ???

Found another mechanical difference -  The addition of a high-performance clutch with hydraulic actuation.
Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S
2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black with Aztec Shadow graphics. Gone!

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Kermit
    • CVO2: 2015 Victory Ness Magnum #31 of 299
    • CVO3: 2013 Can-Am Spyder RTS
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 02:10:05 PM »

No need to make fun of the new guy, come one, to lock and unlock the saddlebags, really!?  ???

Found another mechanical difference -  The addition of a high-performance clutch with hydraulic actuation.

He is serious.  From the HD web site...

The factory installed next-generation security system with siren features a hands-free fob that automatically arms and disarms the vehicle electronic security functions as you approach and walk away from the bike. Stick the fob on your ignition key ring and let it do all the work. For additional peace of mind, the automatic bike lock features a key fob that locks the ignition, Tour-Pak and saddlebags so you won't have to worry about leaving your valuables tucked away on your ride. It's this attention to detail and rider security that make Harley-Davidson® motorcycles unique.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 02:21:49 PM by Ghost Rider »

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 02:20:11 PM »

I guess if you want to be a smart ass..........MSRP!
Seriously, most is paint, chrome, and engine!
The "TAZMUN"

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 02:21:02 PM »

He is serious.  From the HD web site...

The factory installed next-generation security system with siren features a hands-free fob that automatically arms and disarms the vehicle electronic security functions as you approach and walk away from the bike. Stick the fob on your ignition key ring and let it do all the work. For additional peace of mind, the automatic bike lock features a key fob that locks the ignition, Tour-Pak and saddlebags so you won't have to worry about leaving your valuables tucked away on your ride. It's this attention to detail and rider security that make Harley-Davidson® motorcycles unique.

Thank you!

For a minute there I thought he was pulling my leg   :D ... no wonder, it is listed under the CVO ULTRA CLASSIC ELECTRA GLIDE description, there is no mention of the specifics for the security system under the RGC CVO section.
Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 02:21:44 PM »

No need to make fun of the new guy, come one, to lock and unlock the saddlebags, really!?  ???

Found another mechanical difference -  The addition of a high-performance clutch with hydraulic actuation.

OK, Ok

you caught me........It is for the power windows......

just be careful where your hand is when you push the lock function.

"Twolane" lost 2 fingers.

Formally FLHTCUSE3
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 02:24:51 PM »

Thank you!

For a minute there I thought he was pulling my leg   :D ... no wonder, it is listed under the CVO ULTRA CLASSIC ELECTRA GLIDE description, there is no mention of the specifics for the security system under the RGC CVO section.

I would expect the SERGC to have the same security system as the SESG.  Same old key, same old fob.

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 02:26:57 PM »

Apologies for doubting  ;D  Newbie mistake.

OK, Ok

you caught me........It is for the power windows......

just be careful where your hand is when you push the lock function.

"Twolane" lost 2 fingers.

Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 02:36:25 PM »

No sweat...

This is a place to get good info and have fun.

I have been in my melancholy mood lately, so you never know what I might write next.   It is all in good fun.

Formally FLHTCUSE3

Soon2be1

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRXSE "skunk"
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 02:41:01 PM »

I have a 12 Skunk RGC CVO, there are no locking bags, its the same security package you can get on any HD except it comes with the audible alarm.

The rear shocks are air but not the same as the no CVO models. They are adjusted on the clutch side behind the saddle bag with a twist knob. I havent messed with yet but it is supposed to be better dampening.

The FLTRXSE did get short changed in my opinion... No GPS, locking bags, extra speakers or sissy bar. For $2000 more the SG CVO comes with all that and 8 speakers and lower fairings!!!!

Although I have to say I LOVE my bike!!! Its a very sharp style, smooth handling beast looking machine.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 02:52:04 PM »

front the same as all RG
The key fob is for the ultra, and it does unlock the bags, but it is not on the FLTRXSE.
The rear shocks are not air shocks, they are gas shocks, with an adjuster nob.
Trans us the same but hydraulic clutch.

2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 03:51:19 PM »

The key fob is for the ultra, and it does unlock the bags, but it is not on the FLTRXSE.
The rear shocks are not air shocks, they are gas shocks, with an adjuster nob.
Trans us the same but hydraulic clutch.

>:( the should have done it for all CVOs.... anyway, thank you for the confirmation...
Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 04:11:47 PM »

I have a 12 Skunk RGC CVO, there are no locking bags, its the same security package you can get on any HD except it comes with the audible alarm.

The rear shocks are air but not the same as the no CVO models. They are adjusted on the clutch side behind the saddle bag with a twist knob. I havent messed with yet but it is supposed to be better dampening.

The FLTRXSE did get short changed in my opinion... No GPS, locking bags, extra speakers or sissy bar. For $2000 more the SG CVO comes with all that and 8 speakers and lower fairings!!!!
Although I have to say I LOVE my bike!!! Its a very sharp style, smooth handling beast looking machine.

I think for $2k more all you get is speakers in the saddlebag and fairing lowers with speakers.  No GPS or locking bags.

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 05:31:37 PM »

I think for $2k more all you get is speakers in the saddlebag and fairing lowers with speakers.  No GPS or locking bags.

That is another thing they dropped... GPS... it was part of the CVOs last year, right?
Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 21 queries.