Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wide Tire Kits  (Read 3040 times)

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
Wide Tire Kits
« on: August 24, 2011, 04:33:32 PM »

Hi,
 Has anyone installed a wide tire kit??? Usually involves widening rear of frame, wider swingarm, 1 1/8" rear belt and fender. Does any have Pros and Cons? If changing to a 1 1/8" rear belt requires a new front and front pully? Same teeth pitch / size? Just narrower? I don't want a kit that offsets the motor or tranny because it affect the ride. The wider 180 or 200mm tire should not adversley affect handling if frame is widened ame on both side. Looking for some help here. I love the wide tires but not willing  to get another whole  to do it. Any photos? Big Boar  offers a new setup not on his website that does not  require a 3/8" offset like the older kit but uses 1 1/8" or 20 mm belt
Pros and Cons on the narrower belts???
Thanks,
Ltank

JamesButler

• Full CVO Member
Re: Wide Tire Kits
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 09:37:18 PM »

BUMP.....Anyone?

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
Re: Wide Tire Kits
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 04:42:03 PM »

"....Has anyone installed a wide tire kit??? Usually involves widening rear of frame, wider swingarm, 1 1/8" rear belt and fender. Does any have Pros and Cons? If changing to a 1 1/8" rear belt requires a new front and front pully? Same teeth pitch / size? Just narrower? I don't want a kit that offsets the motor or tranny because it affect the ride. The wider 180 or 200mm tire should not adversley affect handling if frame is widened ame on both side. Looking for some help here. I love the wide tires but not willing  to get another whole  to do it. Any photos? Big Boar  offers a new setup not on his website that does not  require a 3/8" offset like the older kit but uses 1 1/8" or 20 mm belt
Pros and Cons on the narrower belts???...."

Ltank~

One thing for sure that I know is that the Transmission Pulley/Sprocket will have nothing to do with your decision to modify your rear tire width regardless of the narrowing of the belt that helps you accommodate such a modification.

I have not installed a wide tire kit.

The pros of such a modification for a 180/200 tire would be looks and that's about it.
The cons of such a modification for a 180/200 tire would be cost and no real improvement for handling.

The pros or cons of a narrower belt would be:

pros, the ability to accommodate a 150mm+ tire in position.
cons, the cost of belt and another rear wheel sprocket

Another issue is that when you go to such a wide tire, you MIGHT end up having to change the rear fender as well.  I know that when i owned a 2003 Dyna Low Rider which was the first year for a 150 width tire on the bike, that the fender was wider than a 2002 Fender, so it only makes sense if you hope to get a 180/200 rear tire it's going to be a modification to the fender as well.  Of course anything is possible it just costs $$$$.  But it appears stopping at a 150mm+ sized/classification tire will make it with a oem rear fender, but none of the photos  particularly pay attention to that facet as to how much room exists on both sides of the fender with the 150mm+ tire discussed in the attached THREAD I linked for review.

I have been able to get a 143mm Avon Venom tire (lol now Avon has stopped making the venom and which has now been replaced with the cobra) into position after redoing some nuts and bolts on the inside of the fender....there is not much more width available than that on my FXR2 fender....the desire for a 150mm tire (and as we all know each manufacturer's exact width is defined by them, with the idea of a 150mm width merely indicating a size range), could also invoke a fender change....I believe there is a THREAD on here that addresses someone running a 150mm tire on a 1999 FXR3 blue flamed bike, buried in one of the THREADS, perhaps if you go through the FXR2, FXR3, FXR4 photographs THREAD you will find it buried in there via some posts into that THREAD, I seem to remember a brief discussion about someone's bike having a 150 tire on it and how it was done....in fact I know it was a blue flamed bike because the guy had a after market narrower thunderstar rear sprocket, the discussion ended up being about the finish on it.....I will see if I can find the discussion and link it to this THREAD, but once again that discussion was "only" about a 150mm width tire size.

150MM TIRE DISCUSSION WITH GREAT PHOTOS

If you read through this discussion very well and pay attention to the photographs you will it's obvious that the 150MM tire will fit and actually what is fitting on the bike being discussed is a 156mm tire and it required a "narrow" rear wheel sprocket which can be purchased in a black round disc style.  The HD# 40391-98 65T Narrow Width Rear Wheel Sprocket which is actually a obsolete part number but last year there were a couple of dealerships that were still had it in their inventory.  But then you need a proper belt, so a 133T narrow belt (1 1/8") would be part number HD3 400015-00.  But if you want to run a 70T Narrow Rear Wheel Sprocket and a 136T 1 1/8" Narrow Belt you will have to figure out the part numbers for those items, as I don't have any information on that.

So to BE SURE, to run a 150+mm tire you will NEED a narrow belt and rear wheel sprocket.  

"..Pros and cons on the narrower belts..?"

Well according to Dave (hdfxr3) whose bike is the one being discussed with the narrower rear wheel sprocket as well as the narrower belt of 1 1/8" wide, in the attached THREAD, he states in reply#39:

"...I have more room between belt and tire than do those who add 140 to stock belt and pulley.  Stock belt in 99 was overkill for 1340 engine compared to new bikes that have 3/4 inch belt and pulling 180 tires or better...."

So at least from his opinion on a 80" evo sized motor running the "narrower" belt doesn't seem to be a problem, at which point it becomes a problem, heck....I suppose that answer is determined in part by those guys that begin running a chain because of their engine size ? ? ? ?

Regards,

Tim
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 06:01:38 PM by FXR2evo99 »

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 21 queries.