Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: HD Garage Door opener help!!  (Read 8513 times)

hdnik

• Elite CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE - 2018 FLHTKSE-ANV (Traded)
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHXSE (Traded) - 2007 FXSTSSE (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2003 100th FLHRCi (Sold) - 2001 FLSTF (Traded)
    • 33 Hotrod Build
HD Garage Door opener help!!
« on: September 04, 2011, 04:47:30 PM »

We just moved to a new home and had new garage door openers installed. Of course I took my HD garage opener receiver with me from the old house. (it worked mint!!) The installer installed the HD reciever during the install of the new LiftMaster (chamberlain) Elite series opener... no probs plug in and 2 wires...done!

When I brought the SESG to it's new home, I flicked the high beam and presto-openo... no probs. The next day out... it didn't work. I checked the connections and fiddled with them and tried it once it worked... then did not again.

i though it was a connection issue...the HD wires are very fine... so I soldered them to the to little wires that they connect with and then tried again... it worked once... then not again.

I checked that the reciever was working (ie it gets signal and flashes but does not open or close opener). I read the manual troubleshooting and it says that with some openers the HD receiver has to be away from the opener or the signals clash... so I cut my soldered connections and move it to another plug at the from of the garage... (thank goodness HD gives you lots of wire) and connected the ends to the wall mouted control box. Tried again... worked once then nothing.

I re-set the HD reciever... as a last ditch and moved it back up to the ceiling.... again one open and then nothing.

Because the bike is parked right below the reciever I can see and hear it working everytime i flick the highbeams, but the opener will not work. I just noticed that the lights on the opener come on (they come one when you open the door, but its as if the signal from the HD box is not long enough to kick the opener into operation. I also noticed that the wall mounted control panel which has an LED display for time and tempurature (like that matters) dims when I flick the Bike's HB switch... so I know there is a signal going to the opener... it's just not doing anything.

has anyone else had issues with a new chamberlain Elite opener??? Did you find a fix? :confused5:
Nick Sebastian
nickcbass@gmail.com

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
Re: HD Garage Door opener help!!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 06:22:56 PM »

Change the wall mount control panel, Mine was digital for the time and temp also.   it turned out to be the problem

I bought a cheap single button hard wire control and it worked everytime :2vrolijk_21:

Give it a shot  :nixweiss:

Marty
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 06:25:57 PM by 110 Mofo »
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 07:18:11 PM »

Change the wall mount control panel, Mine was digital for the time and temp also.   it turned out to be the problem

I bought a cheap single button hard wire control and it worked everytime :2vrolijk_21:

Give it a shot  :nixweiss:

Marty

Either that, or just wire it directly to the opener, not to the wall switch.  The installation directions give you both options.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

hdnik

• Elite CVO Member
    • ON

• 33 Hotrod Build
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 08:03:11 PM »

Either that, or just wire it directly to the opener, not to the wall switch.  The installation directions give you both options.

Jerry

I thought the wall mount might be the issue. It's wired to the opener now... either way it does the same thing. Will try this week when stores open again.

which makes me wonder. There is only 2 wires to the opener from the wall mount. the motion detector on the mount must use those wires to turn on the light but not open the door. So the wall box must have a variable voltage being sent... one for the motion light and one from the button to open the door...so my HD unit wil also turn on the light but not open the door. where am i going here?

why if the HD box is wired to the opener itself does it not bypass the wall switch? Of course the wall switch gets powered by the opener... i know this becasue when you disconectt the 2 wires at  the ceiling the wall mount goes dark and the clock has to be reset.

oh yes and these openers have a battery in them in case the power does go out...

i dunno too much technology to open frigging doors.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 08:21:31 PM by HDNIK »
Nick Sebastian
nickcbass@gmail.com

Coyote.

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 SE Ultra - Buried in the back yard where it belongs.
    • CVO2: Already learned that lesson
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 09:33:50 PM »

If the light comes on but the door doesn't open it's not seeing a long enough pulse. Still, I'd disconnect the wall unit and just have the HD unit connected to the opener and see what it does. The HD unit is probably having troubles pulling a good enough short across the wall unit.

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 09:42:15 PM »

I had the same problem, stumped me for months, I found a pic of what i am talking about for an example, it can be as easy as picking up one of these at a hardware store, give it a shot.

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Lighted-Wall-Mounted-Button/dp/B000SRVB76/ref=sr_1_3?s=hardware&ie=UTF8&qid=1315186625&sr=1-3

It's worth a try, It fixed mine, I had the digital wall mount and replaced it with this simple button kind.

Let me know if it helps you  :2vrolijk_21:

Marty
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 09:46:32 PM by 110 Mofo »

hdnik

• Elite CVO Member
    • ON

• 33 Hotrod Build
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 11:13:46 PM »

If the light comes on but the door doesn't open it's not seeing a long enough pulse. Still, I'd disconnect the wall unit and just have the HD unit connected to the opener and see what it does. The HD unit is probably having troubles pulling a good enough short across the wall unit.

GREAT IDEA... I WILL TEST THAT NOW! :2vrolijk_21:
Nick Sebastian
nickcbass@gmail.com

hdnik

• Elite CVO Member
    • ON

• 33 Hotrod Build
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 11:34:44 PM »

I had the same problem, stumped me for months, I found a pic of what i am talking about for an example, it can be as easy as picking up one of these at a hardware store, give it a shot.

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Lighted-Wall-Mounted-Button/dp/B000SRVB76/ref=sr_1_3?s=hardware&ie=UTF8&qid=1315186625&sr=1-3

It's worth a try, It fixed mine, I had the digital wall mount and replaced it with this simple button kind.

Let me know if it helps you  :2vrolijk_21:

Marty

Marty Thank you,

CoyoteK's test was a success, and you are spot on!  :bananarock: I just took the wall mount out of the loop and flicked my high beams....worked 100% of the time... up, down, midway perfect. Geez that was buggn me! Thanks guys!

So the lesson here is if you get a new garage door opener with a fancy schmansy wall control box... ditch it for the old fashion one. I bet it has to do with the circuit board inside that limits the short to turn on the light with the motion sensor.

Learned something today. I be checking to see in Hardware Store is open on Labour day.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 11:37:42 PM by HDNIK »
Nick Sebastian
nickcbass@gmail.com

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 10:32:51 AM »

Glad I could help  :2vrolijk_21:

I love this site

Marty

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 04:09:44 PM »

Ok same problem here but on a comercial door lift.  It has the three buttons on the wall UP/ STOP/ DOWN.  My opener is not connected to the wall buttons it is connected to the lift motor its self.  When I talked to the installer he said I needed an extra part to allow for this unit to be hooked up.  I spent the extra 75-100 and had them install it once the part came in.  It worked for a week or so but then stopped working.  Same thing as stated above.  I hear the H-D receiver click and flash but no movement on the door.  I called them back and they ran some test and the H-D wire to the lift motor works just fine. He showed me as he arked the two wires and the door lifted.  So I ordered another receiver from a member and put it all together and yet the same thing.....NOTHING! I'm really at a loss here.  I see the red light flash, hear the click but no movement.

Any help would be great.

Topper
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

tweeter13

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE6
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 07:45:48 PM »

I have mine hooked to the wall switch.  The says open, close and stop.  I just wish I could close the door when I was leaving instead of getting off the bike.   Been working for two years that way. 
18 Monsterbrite led lights
Fullsac DX head pipe
Fullsac 2.25 baffles
TTS master-tune
George Anderson tourpac relocator

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 06:22:05 AM »

I have mine hooked to the wall switch.  The says open, close and stop.  I just wish I could close the door when I was leaving instead of getting off the bike.   Been working for two years that way. 

So it opens but wont close?
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

Fireguy

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road glide. Traded
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited Sold
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 04:17:18 PM »

I have the "fancy" opener and was able to make mine work. Now I have the best of both worlds.  :orange:

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2013, 10:13:56 PM »

My GDO works when I am in the garage and will close the door after I back out but will not open it when the garage door is closed. I assume the signal from the Tx is too weak to travel through the door. I'm going to try and relocate the receiver tomorrow but I thought it was in an ideal location high up in the garage. May be too close to the opener, read that could cause some problems. Have been carrying a remote in my jacket pocket with my old bike and it worked every time, was hoping the HD system would work so I wouldn't have to carry it around any longer.

hdnik

• Elite CVO Member
    • ON

• 33 Hotrod Build
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2014, 07:27:41 PM »

What type of wall button are you using. Fancy one with motion for light and thermometer or just the basic two wire deal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Nick Sebastian
nickcbass@gmail.com

spepin

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
    • CVO2: 2006 VRSCSE2
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2014, 03:47:59 PM »

Because the bike is parked right below the reciever I can see and hear it working everytime i flick the highbeams, but the opener will not work. I just noticed that the lights on the opener come on (they come one when you open the door, but its as if the signal from the HD box is not long enough to kick the opener into operation. I also noticed that the wall mounted control panel which has an LED display for time and tempurature (like that matters) dims when I flick the Bike's HB switch... so I know there is a signal going to the opener... it's just not doing anything.

has anyone else had issues with a new chamberlain Elite opener??? Did you find a fix? :confused5:

The problem is with the new "intelligent" controls that Chamberlain, Liftmaster and Craftsman Assurelink are using.  See this post for the solution:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=93238.0

hotroadking

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2014, 06:08:31 PM »

Replace the door button with a standard door switch

My sears had the smart logic keyboard with led the HD unit did the same thing.

Replace the smart switch and problem solved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." Winston Churchill

spepin

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2014, 06:34:47 PM »

There is voltage on those wires to drive the display and other circuitry in the wall controls. While it may open the door, it is not a good (read: correct) way of doing it. You're essentially shorting out the power supply line for the smart controls. Also, by eliminating the smart wall control, you lose the intelligence that is built in, as well as the ability to program/learn remotes from the wall.  If your opener is still under warranty, then you've also just voided it. Besides, most people won't want to give up those conveniences.

hdnik

• Elite CVO Member
    • ON

• 33 Hotrod Build
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2014, 10:17:43 PM »

Isn't the convenience of an automatic garage door opener enough for us anymore? My goodness get a basic button and enjoy opening the door with a switch on your handlebars and get happy... At least thats how I feel anyway. Next I'll tell ya how I had to walk to and from school uphill in the snow lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Nick Sebastian
nickcbass@gmail.com

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2014, 09:00:44 AM »

There is another relatively simple way to do this without costing anything other than your time and a little solder.  One of the guys even posted a photo or two of the simple connections to the circuit board in that fancy wall control that will activate the opener with the H-D receiver while maintaining the other functions. 

Personally, I like using the remote that came with the new opener.  It has much longer range than the Harley option, is much more reliable (don't have to press the button multiple times to get a response), and all it cost me was the price of a simple pushbutton momentary switch I added to the dash and wired to the remote I hid in the fairing.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

spepin

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2014, 11:30:00 AM »

There is another relatively simple way to do this without costing anything other than your time and a little solder.  One of the guys even posted a photo or two of the simple connections to the circuit board in that fancy wall control that will activate the opener with the H-D receiver while maintaining the other functions. 

Have you considered that maybe some folks don't feel comfortable soldering small wires to smaller components?  Maybe they don't have the necessary skills or tools to do that?  This is a plug-n-play solution that requires no cutting, soldering or tools to use.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2014, 12:15:11 PM »

Have you considered that maybe some folks don't feel comfortable soldering small wires to smaller components?  Maybe they don't have the necessary skills or tools to do that?  This is a plug-n-play solution that requires no cutting, soldering or tools to use.

Yes, I'm fully aware that some people aren't familiar with soldering wires or working on circuit boards.  My comment is for those who are, or who know someone who is and will help them.  A simple and basically free solution is usually welcomed by many; for those without the skill or desire to attempt the free fix we have folks like you who will sell them something.  I'm not trying to pass judgment, just trying to present alternatives.

Jerry

spepin

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2014, 12:20:27 PM »

just trying to present alternatives.

That's all I was trying to do as well.  This thread already had your solution posted - I was just providing a plug-n-play solution for those either uncomfortable with the DIY solution, those who don't want to void their warranty or those who wish to retain the features of the intelligent wall control.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2014, 03:29:14 PM »

Here is the post with photo I mentioned previously.  Very simple for anyone familiar with soldering, isn't likely to void any warranty (other than for the circuit board if you somehow manage to screw it up of course).

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=74206.msg1125546#msg1125546

Jerry

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2014, 06:54:27 PM »

Yes, I'm fully aware that some people aren't familiar with soldering wires or working on circuit boards.  My comment is for those who are, or who know someone who is and will help them.
Jerry

X2.  Most people know whether or not they have the knowledge to do it, so the basically free solution is a great thing to pass along.

I was just providing a plug-n-play solution for those either uncomfortable with the DIY solution, those who don't want to void their warranty or those who wish to retain the features of the intelligent wall control.

We understand that part already, but no need to poke at someone who provides the free solution.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

hdnik

• Elite CVO Member
    • ON

• 33 Hotrod Build
HD Garage Door opener help!!
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2014, 07:29:52 PM »

This old school method is excellent, not free, but all you have to do is honk your horn a few times until the

Nick Sebastian
nickcbass@gmail.com

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2014, 10:37:39 AM »

Someone posted a video like this where the guy pulls up honks and the wife comes out and opens the GD. If I did that I could probably look at the window and find Mrs R flipping me the bird. HaHa

hdnik

• Elite CVO Member
    • ON

• 33 Hotrod Build
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2014, 11:07:11 AM »

Someone posted a video like this where the guy pulls up honks and the wife comes out and opens the GD. If I did that I could probably look at the window and find Mrs R flipping me the bird. HaHa

Yes... its a UK Model, but I'm sure it's available in some places in North America!

Nick Sebastian
nickcbass@gmail.com

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2014, 03:30:01 PM »

That's the one :huepfenlol2:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2014, 03:38:59 PM »

That's the one :huepfenlol2:
I want someone to video you when you try that... my guess is you'll get more than "flipping me the bird"... I know I would if I tried that w/Mrs. d00d. :nervous: :behead: :beatdeadhorse: :rifle:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

hotroadking

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2014, 07:09:52 PM »

That digital display telling you it's 4 pm and raining I isn't of much use to a guy sitting outside in the rain that can't open the door

Switch out the display unit for a normal switch. My seat unit did the same thing. I just went to Sears to get a different one

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." Winston Churchill

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2014, 09:19:20 PM »

That digital display telling you it's 4 pm and raining I isn't of much use to a guy sitting outside in the rain that can't open the door

Switch out the display unit for a normal switch. My seat unit did the same thing. I just went to Sears to get a different one

Yes, that will definitely work.  BUT, since you paid for that fancy schmancy control panel, and since it's so simple and easy to make it work with the Harley system, why not spend less time than it took to drive to Sears for a different wall switch and just solder the two Harley wires to the wall control circuit board to make everything work just fine and keep the control panel and display?  Maybe yours doesn't have the motion activated light switch, battery backup display, ability to program many functions from the wall display, etc. like mine does, but even if it only has half that capability it's something you paid for in the price of the opener.

Jerry

hotroadking

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2014, 01:38:22 AM »

Why the control panel isn't necessary to run the door it's nice however I really don't care if I can see the temp and time on the control

A $5 part fixes they problem instantly.  Did it two years ago my sears opener works fine as does the HD unit

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2014, 10:02:19 AM »

I want someone to video you when you try that... my guess is you'll get more than "flipping me the bird"... I know I would if I tried that w/Mrs. d00d. :nervous: :behead: :beatdeadhorse: :rifle:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
I hear ya dood :drink:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.278 seconds with 21 queries.