Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Loud Gear Chatter After Upgrade to SE Compensator  (Read 5264 times)

mcdonaldroadcapt

• CVO Third Time around
  • Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2006 flhtcuse 1
    • CVO2: 2007 flhtcuse 2
    • CVO3: 2008 flhtcuse 3
Loud Gear Chatter After Upgrade to SE Compensator
« on: April 10, 2012, 08:20:11 AM »

My son owns a 2008 CVO Roadking.  Compensator started knocking so he paid difference and had the SE 08A installed.  Now what was normal gear chatter at lower RPM is so loud that it sounds like self distruction.  This noise is only on acceleration and goes away on deceleration. He Took back twice and had primary removed and dealer could find nothing wrong. Can't figure it out unless new 10 pound SE compensator is out of balance sending new vibes back to tranny.  Any thoughts?

Thanks.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: Loud Gear Chatter After Upgrade to SE Compensator
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 09:56:23 AM »

My son owns a 2008 CVO Roadking.  Compensator started knocking so he paid difference and had the SE 08A installed.  Now what was normal gear chatter at lower RPM is so loud that it sounds like self distruction.  This noise is only on acceleration and goes away on deceleration. He Took back twice and had primary removed and dealer could find nothing wrong. Can't figure it out unless new 10 pound SE compensator is out of balance sending new vibes back to tranny.  Any thoughts?

Thanks.

About the only things you can do wrong with the compensator installation is to have the thrust washer mis-positioned, or install the spring washers incorrectly...

Is it possible the primary chain is not tensioned properly - to loose or to tight?
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

mcdonaldroadcapt

• CVO Third Time around
  • Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 11:25:22 AM »

The tech rechecked installation after removing primary cover. I just have to trust that he knew what he was doing.  I asked for him to do the work because he was the shop foreman and I figured that he knew his stuff. It is possible chain could be incorrectly adjusted as they did say that they thought the noise was coming from a too loose chain and tightened up the adjuster on the tensioner.  It did not help at all. I rode his bike back over again and was told by the service manager that he needed to keep the rpm up more in each gear to ease the noise level. It does help but who wants to ride at high rpm all of the time?  Did not have to before new comp was installed.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 01:40:27 PM »

Was the primary bearing or race ok when the comp assembly was changed? And was it tightened by hand or air wrench?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 01:57:36 PM »

The tech rechecked installation after removing primary cover. I just have to trust that he knew what he was doing.  I asked for him to do the work because he was the shop foreman and I figured that he knew his stuff. It is possible chain could be incorrectly adjusted as they did say that they thought the noise was coming from a too loose chain and tightened up the adjuster on the tensioner.  It did not help at all. I rode his bike back over again and was told by the service manager that he needed to keep the rpm up more in each gear to ease the noise level. It does help but who wants to ride at high rpm all of the time?  Did not have to before new comp was installed.

I'm not so sure I would automatically trust that any tech knows what he's doing.  I've sure run into a ton of them over the years that didn't, in Harley shops as well as in my professional role in the automotive industry.

IF it was normal for the SE compensator to really be that much louder than the original design, why do you suppose the folks with the 2010 and later CVO's haven't been raising holy hell about the noise (since those bikes came stock with the SE comp)?  The SE part should be an improvement.  The fact that it isn't on his bike leads me to believe that either the install was done incorrectly, or perhaps something else was damaged during the remove and replace scenario. 

btw, did they verify that the original compensator was the source of the original noise?  Was it showing signs of severe bottoming and wear?  Did they bother to check the rear wheel sprocket damper (IDS)?  Those were a new item in 2008, and a lot of premature wear on the elastomer biscuits was reported back then. 

I don't know what to tell you, other than I would not accept this outcome if I were the owner of that bike. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

mcdonaldroadcapt

• CVO Third Time around
  • Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 02:42:27 PM »

The compensator nut was hand tightened and torqued according to Harley specs, states the tech. Also, the primary bearing was replaced at the same time.  The original compensator was knocking under load off idle and was a totally different sound then this.

mcdonaldroadcapt

• CVO Third Time around
  • Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 03:09:18 PM »

Also, need to add that there is no noise until fluids heat up if that gives a clue. Can usually ride for fifteen minutes or so with no aggravation.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 04:35:38 PM »

Also, need to add that there is no noise until fluids heat up if that gives a clue. Can usually ride for fifteen minutes or so with no aggravation.
Did anyone check to make sure the fluid was in fact re-filled?  :nixweiss:

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

mcdonaldroadcapt

• CVO Third Time around
  • Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 04:38:43 PM »

Yes, replaced Redline shockproof.

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 02:09:12 AM »

This is not good, not good at all!   :anxious:
Jesus is Lord

mike5511

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 03:26:20 AM »

Yes, replaced Redline shockproof.

Redline Shockproof goes in the tranny.  Redline makes a fluid for the primary, but it is not Shockproof.  Typo????

mcdonaldroadcapt

• CVO Third Time around
  • Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 07:07:43 AM »

Typo Yes. I use redline shockproof in transmission and redline primary in the primary.

pkl

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 04:16:40 PM »

Baker has a new tensioner that is not adjustable that seems to quiet the noise. I've had compensator issues and recently had one installed and for now bike has run quieter and smoother. Look at their website and see if you think it may help.

mcdonaldroadcapt

• CVO Third Time around
  • Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 04:25:03 PM »

Thanks for Baker info, will pursue.  Almost convinced that it is primary chain noise.  Tried to purchase hydraulic tensioner from hot bikes but all on back order.  Will pursue Baker and see what happens.

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 23 queries.