Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mid Shift Lever Slips Position  (Read 1745 times)

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
Mid Shift Lever Slips Position
« on: September 24, 2011, 01:07:11 AM »

Hi Guys,
 I did some primary chain maintenance a few thousand miles ago. When I went to shift, the lever was not in the correct position. At first I thought the worst that the tranny broke. The shift lever was was tightened and was OK for a few hundred miles then messed up again. The splines on the shaft and lever seem to be OK. I tighten the heck out the shift lever and it still slips. I shimmed around the shaft with a section of a Coke can lasted for a short while but that was a big mistake. I seems to have caused the splines to be smoother. I really hate to have pull the inner primary to replace it. I have been out of work for six months, don't have the money to fix it when on the road. I will notch the shaft and lever with a dremel tool and use a section  of key stock so I can get home and fix it correctly. Is this a common issue? My old 89 FXRS-SP did no do this.
Thanks,
Ltank

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 Wife's bike
Re: Mid Shift Lever Slips Position
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 11:03:49 AM »

Hi Guys,
 I did some primary chain maintenance a few thousand miles ago. When I went to shift, the lever was not in the correct position. At first I thought the worst that the tranny broke. The shift lever was was tightened and was OK for a few hundred miles then messed up again. The splines on the shaft and lever seem to be OK. I tighten the heck out the shift lever and it still slips. I shimmed around the shaft with a section of a Coke can lasted for a short while but that was a big mistake. I seems to have caused the splines to be smoother. I really hate to have pull the inner primary to replace it. I have been out of work for six months, don't have the money to fix it when on the road. I will notch the shaft and lever with a dremel tool and use a section  of key stock so I can get home and fix it correctly. Is this a common issue? My old 89 FXRS-SP did no do this.
Thanks,
Ltank

Had the same problem on a two week trip a couple of years ago. Had to buy a new shifter arm. Once the splines slip, it chews the aluminum and you can not get it to stay in place. The shaft should be OK since it is steel. The aluminum is what strips out. Be sure to get all the aluminum stripped out pieces off of the arm ( use a small screw driver or pick to clean each spline). After you put the new arm on make sure that it is EXTREMELY tight, and it will not happen again. The dealer tightened mine with a ratchet wrench so tight ,I thought he would break the bolt. When you put shims on the shaft, it just stretches the aluminum arm and then it will never tighten properly again.

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 21 queries.