Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Gerbing Heated Gear Wire Connection  (Read 9914 times)

32Lager

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Ultra
Gerbing Heated Gear Wire Connection
« on: October 02, 2011, 06:45:42 PM »

What do you consider to be the best wire connection for the Gerbing (or Harley) heated gear ?
I guess my options are a loose hanging plug tucked into the corner of the seat and fuel tank; or the BMW connector mounted to the frame somewhere. I'd like the plug to be in a convenient location so I can make and break the connection with one hand.

And, this may be a dumb question but will an adapter from the intercom plug work ? It's in a perfect location and I never use it.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
Re: Gerbing Heated Gear Wire Connection
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 06:52:27 PM »

needs to be a direct run to the battery, i have mine coming up in the slot for the ride rbackrest
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 07:36:22 PM »

If you mean by "adapter" that you could make something that could plug into existing plug, that answer is NO.

If you meant could you replace the existing Icom plug with another type, that would take a lot of work.

the best solution I have seen is mounting a plug through the plastic wing thing's that divert heat from you crotch.
easy to get to,
can give one handed operation and will not change anything to disturb OEM

Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 09:21:57 PM »

We have the BMW style recepticles mounted in a small angle iron type bracket that's mounted to the frame under the seat on the left.

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 11:33:10 PM »

Mike, check out the Power Demons outlet & handlebar switch setup. Put it on my wife's Deuce. 2 outlets mount near horn cover with 3 level switch on front brake handlebar. Outlet has lighted surround. Standard Gerbing plugs? Very slick.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=38084.60

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 08:39:10 AM »

I run my connector up under the nose of the seat with about four inches sticking out where the seat nose meets the console on the tank. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 08:39:53 AM »

The advantage to using the BMW style recepticle is that you're able to plug in with just one hand, while you're riding or late at night on a dark road, etc.  No fumbling around with two loose pig tails. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Tazman

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSEU Frosted Ivory and Vintage Gold
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 05:01:49 PM »

I run my power cord through the opening in the seat where the rider backrest fits.
I made up a small box, (actually a gutted old laptop power supply), that contains two Gerbings remote temperature controllers and 3M double stick tape it to the inside of the fairing on my RG.
I can reach it easily and don't have to fumble around with a dual Harley controller hooked to my jacket or pants.
If I had a batwing style fairing I would be looking for a spot to mount the controller switches right into the fairing.
I don't know how you would do it but you are correct that the intercom/CB port would be a great location.
Maybe replacing the intercom socket with a power port would be possible.
2011 FLTRUSE Frosted Ivory / Vintage Gold
2006 Buell Ulysses
2002 FXSTDI Deuce
1999 KTM 640 LC4

32Lager

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 08:11:41 PM »

Thanks for all the information ! I like the idea of mounting the BMW plug on the heat deflector. Mounting it on the frame was my thought too but there isn't much exposed frame to work with on the Ultra. Where can you buy the BMW plug with the waterproof caps ? The BMW accessory plug shown on Gerbing's site http://gerbing.com/Products/accessories.php doesn't have a cap. Is the "Panel Mounted Port" a similar option ?

FYI... Gerbing and Revzilla are both currently out of stock for a lot of their jacket liner sizes. They both told me delivery would not be until November. I placed my order for Harley's jacket liner and dual temp controller through Hale's HD at a 20% discount. Hale's had everything but the battery harness and they promised that would be delivered in two weeks or less. Their controller comes with the pouch and clip which saves another $10.

Gerbing's customer service also confirmed that Harley's heated gear is made by Gerbing and the warranties are the same as theirs.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 08:13:37 PM by MikeH »

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 10:54:41 AM »

Thanks for all the information ! I like the idea of mounting the BMW plug on the heat deflector. Mounting it on the frame was my thought too but there isn't much exposed frame to work with on the Ultra. Where can you buy the BMW plug with the waterproof caps ? The BMW accessory plug shown on Gerbing's site http://gerbing.com/Products/accessories.php doesn't have a cap. Is the "Panel Mounted Port" a similar option ?

FYI... Gerbing and Revzilla are both currently out of stock for a lot of their jacket liner sizes. They both told me delivery would not be until November. I placed my order for Harley's jacket liner and dual temp controller through Hale's HD at a 20% discount. Hale's had everything but the battery harness and they promised that would be delivered in two weeks or less. Their controller comes with the pouch and clip which saves another $10.

Gerbing's customer service also confirmed that Harley's heated gear is made by Gerbing and the warranties are the same as theirs.

I got a converter that allows me to use the Battery Tender connector, with the Gerbing wiring. It's about 12" long and goes from the flat 2 to the round 2 connector. However, after looking at the Gerbing's accessories, I'm thinking the hotter ticket is, going with the Panel Mounted Port Kit $29.95 and mounting that on the mid-frame deflector up near the seat, tucked in tightly but still accessible. Then reverse the Battery Tender adaptor so I can use that as well.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

32Lager

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 12:41:31 PM »

I got a converter that allows me to use the Battery Tender connector, with the Gerbing wiring. It's about 12" long and goes from the flat 2 to the round 2 connector. However, after looking at the Gerbing's accessories, I'm thinking the hotter ticket is, going with the Panel Mounted Port Kit $29.95 and mounting that on the mid-frame deflector up near the seat, tucked in tightly but still accessible. Then reverse the Battery Tender adaptor so I can use that as well.

I called Gerbing again this morning to ask about and order the Panel Mounted port kit. She told me that the battery connection cables are shipped with the Harley jackets so I won't need the kit, just the port. Harley doesn't offer the port or the port kit and Gerbing's inventory was sold out so I'm going to hold off on that part until I use the jacket a few times.

In case you're interested, the following items were ordered from Hale's HD and will be delivered for $275.80 total.
Heated Jacket Liner - Part #98324-09VM
Dual Control Thermostat (with cover and clip included) part #98541-04V
Battery Harness (comes with Jacket)- Part #98536-04V
Battery Tender Adapter Plug (just in case)- Part #98544-04V
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 12:46:55 PM by MikeH »

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 01:15:04 PM »

That's a pretty good deal.  I got mine for 25% off from a local dealer during one of their sales, but had to pay tax. I got the gloves too, but those things are way to bulky and thick to be useful on a motorcycle. Maybe on a snowmobile.

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 08:59:04 PM »

i modified the pod where my headset plugs in so the heated gear plug is right next to it on the dash

very very convenient & the unknowing dont even see it.

the one in the sidecar is also mounted right in the dash

to

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 09:49:37 PM »

i modified the pod where my headset plugs in so the heated gear plug is right next to it on the dash

to

:worthless:

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 10:26:12 PM »

I installed the BMW style connector in the left side speaker pod, changed out the front cig lighter to one and installed one in the trunk...  They all work well.  :2vrolijk_21:

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2011, 10:33:43 PM »

I called Gerbing again this morning to ask about and order the Panel Mounted port kit. She told me that the battery connection cables are shipped with the Harley jackets so I won't need the kit, just the port. Harley doesn't offer the port or the port kit and Gerbing's inventory was sold out so I'm going to hold off on that part until I use the jacket a few times.

In case you're interested, the following items were ordered from Hale's HD and will be delivered for $275.80 total.
Heated Jacket Liner - Part #98324-09VM
Dual Control Thermostat (with cover and clip included) part #98541-04V
Battery Harness (comes with Jacket)- Part #98536-04V
Battery Tender Adapter Plug (just in case)- Part #98544-04V

Mike,

Would strongly suggest you take a look at one of these. Got one last year and it's much more convenient than the wired controller!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004MGBT94/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0002CRJQ4&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1NX1FQ86RK0B2AY3KK4T

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2011, 11:24:42 PM »

Mike,

Would strongly suggest you take a look at one of these. Got one last year and it's much more convenient than the wired controller!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004MGBT94/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0002CRJQ4&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1NX1FQ86RK0B2AY3KK4T

Hadn't seen that Mark.  But now I think I want one.

The wireless remote unit has what kind of range and battery life?  Leave it in the heated jacket pocket (about the same place the wired controller would be)?  Or can it be temporarily velcroed to someplace like gas lid door or side of dash or other convenient spot?

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2011, 10:19:00 AM »

Hadn't seen that Mark.  But now I think I want one.

The wireless remote unit has what kind of range and battery life?  Leave it in the heated jacket pocket (about the same place the wired controller would be)?  Or can it be temporarily velcroed to someplace like gas lid door or side of dash or other convenient spot?

Twolane, can't believe you don't already own one of these. Battery life is more an 50 hours (time I've used it so far without changing battery). Very easy to pair up and use. Controller can be mounted or moved about. Range is at least a 20 feet. Small hole needs to be cut in Gerbing jackets for the receiver to stay in pocket and wires to go through to connectors. A great improvement over the wired controllers!

Try it, you'll like it!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2011, 10:20:44 AM »

Twolane, can't believe you don't already own one of these. Battery life is more an 50 hours (time I've used it so far without changing battery). Very easy to pair up and use. Controller can be mounted or moved about. Range is at least a 20 feet. Small hole needs to be cut in Gerbing jackets for the receiver to stay in pocket and wires to go through to connectors. A great improvement over the wired controllers!

Try it, you'll like it!

Hadn't Mark.  That was a new product to me.  I visit the Powerlet site occasionally.  But guess I only pay attention to the sockets and socket adapters as I need them.  Thanks again the for the heads up. 

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2011, 12:33:05 PM »

Where is the battery that works with the wired liners?  I know Gerbing has battery operated vests and they don't last 50 hours, but the Harley versions do not have this option. As you saying the Harley liners can be retrofitted to work off batteries?  Or is just the controller being wireless, and you still have to plug in the liner to the bike?  If it's the later, who cares about a wireless controller, if you still have to plug in the liner?  I don't get it?

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2011, 12:56:26 PM »

Where is the battery that works with the wired liners?  I know Gerbing has battery operated vests and they don't last 50 hours, but the Harley versions do not have this option. As you saying the Harley liners can be retrofitted to work off batteries?  Or is just the controller being wireless, and you still have to plug in the liner to the bike?  If it's the later, who cares about a wireless controller, if you still have to plug in the liner?  I don't get it?

Just the controller is wireless. Still have to plug the liner into the bike via wire. If you've never had a problem reaching your wired dual controlleer under your jacket or on your belt than this might not be for you. If you want to be able to mount/hook the dual controller on a tank bag/fairing/dash or hang it around your neck, this is quite uesfull and not much more expensive than a wired dual controller.

Life is about choices.

Like your SE Deuce! My wife rides the same bike.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 12:59:10 PM by Buy early »

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2011, 04:36:21 PM »

Just the controller is wireless. Still have to plug the liner into the bike via wire. If you've never had a problem reaching your wired dual controlleer under your jacket or on your belt than this might not be for you. If you want to be able to mount/hook the dual controller on a tank bag/fairing/dash or hang it around your neck, this is quite uesfull and not much more expensive than a wired dual controller.

Life is about choices.

Like your SE Deuce! My wife rides the same bike.

Just trying to sort out what the $100+ investment provides. I put the wired controller on my belt, or in colder conditions, clip to my overcoats pocket, so it's not a problem for me.

I do however wish there was an elegant way to mount the rheostats on the dash somewhere that would control the outlett connection that's placed somewhere near the seat conveniently. I think I saw something like this a while back, offered by a Gerbing competitor, but their version was much too big.  Hopefully someone will come up with something more practical.

Thanks!

opee6969

• Senior CVO Member
  • RUMSPRINGA!!!
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2011, 05:10:16 PM »

Gerbing makes a permenant dual thermostat that can be mounted in the fairing. I've never seen one istalled, but it seemed useful for some. I have 8 scoots, so it's not cost effective for me. Holla!!

Opee
'01 FLSTF
'03 FLSTS
'05 K1200LT
'15 FLTRXS
'16 FLHTKSE

32Lager

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2011, 08:17:20 PM »

Mike,

I don't like to return stuff so I guess I'm committed to the dual controller now. I'll figure out a convenient way to use. There are a lot more plug options out there than I thought.

Like mrmagloo, I'd like to see a picture of this setup too !

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2011, 09:29:29 PM »

Gerbing makes a permenant dual thermostat that can be mounted in the fairing. I've never seen one istalled, but it seemed useful for some. I have 8 scoots, so it's not cost effective for me. Holla!!

Opee

Hmm, I haven't seen that before but it's kind of hard to make out in the pic they show. It would be nice if they complimented this with the flush mounted clothing output ports.

opee6969

• Senior CVO Member
  • RUMSPRINGA!!!
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2011, 10:17:06 AM »

Here's a link to the permenant thermostat install on a GW.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225090
'01 FLSTF
'03 FLSTS
'05 K1200LT
'15 FLTRXS
'16 FLHTKSE

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2011, 10:32:57 AM »

Try powerlet theymake several different type plugs
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

32Lager

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2011, 12:56:55 PM »

We're getting rain here today so I'm going to work on the wire connections this evening. I started to do this on saturday morning (with limited time) and ended up putting everything back in the box.

I'm not mechanically challenged but I do have two more dumb questions...
1: How the heck do you remove the plastic ECM tray above the battery ? I swung the ECM out of the way and got the back end of the tray lifted but I can't see what's holding the front edge down. I'm worried about breaking something.

2: Is the on/off switch that comes with the battery harness necessary ? If it goes between the battery and the jacket plug, about the only place to hide it is under the heat shield and it gets hot under there.

hogasm

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member

sinktip

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2011, 04:52:45 PM »

Mike,

That ECM tray is a bear. I finanlly just leaned mine forward and was able to get to the terminals that way. I hard wired the Gerbing plug to the battery and have it coming out under the seat on the left side. Doesn't get to hot there and is easy to plug in the controller there.

Duggan

Tazman

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSEU Frosted Ivory and Vintage Gold
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2011, 07:07:15 PM »

I found some pictures of the controller I use for my heated gear. It's great not having to fumble with a Harley controller.
It is two Gerbings remote mount switches contained in an old laptop power supply 3M taped to the inside of my fairing.

2011 FLTRUSE Frosted Ivory / Vintage Gold
2006 Buell Ulysses
2002 FXSTDI Deuce
1999 KTM 640 LC4
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.246 seconds with 21 queries.