Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Odd sound coming from the motor in gear  (Read 1302 times)

2UP3DOWN

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2UP3DOWN

• CVO1: 2021 FLHTCUTGSE - Sunset Orange &amp Sunset Black
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO3: 2009 FLTRSE3 Silver Surfer - 2013 FLHRSE5 Crushed Saphire
Odd sound coming from the motor in gear
« on: October 09, 2011, 02:57:41 PM »

Had a fantastic time up in MV this year.  Unfortunately, on the last day of the GTG and on the way home back to Fl., I noticed an odd sound coming from the motor while in gear and moving.  The bike has been in the shop for over a week now and they seem to be having a difficult time isolating the problem.

I figured if nothing else, I'd post the symptoms as best I can and may be one of you might be able to offer some words of wisdom...

The sound I'm hearing is very subtle.  It is like a cricket/grinding sound, very faint when the bike is engaged and moving at speeds over 30+.  As the bike moves faster the sound level increases.  The sound has a frequency component to it. The frequency of the sound also increases as the speed increases.  When the clutch is pulled in the sound goes away.

Also noted is when the bike is cold and I start to more out, when the throttle is twisted and then released there is a squeaking sound I hear coming from what I think is the front lower part of the motor...  After a few minutes of riding the squeaking can't be reproduced...  until it's cold again.

The motor itself seems to be running strong.  Sounds great otherwise. Lots of power and seems fine otherwise.  Not being a wrench myself, my troubleshooting skills are very limited...  however I can't help wondering if this isn't either a clutch, tranny or drive train issue...

Any of you mechanical aces have any suggestions or ideas..?  I'm absolutely bummed having my SERG outta commission for this long.

TIA for any suggestions  -Matt

btw - 09 SERG pretty much stock except for basic exhaust upgrades and TTS.

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
Re: Odd sound coming from the motor in gear
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 09:03:27 AM »

From your description of the noise it sounds like a hard to describe noise I experienced on my bike. It turned out to be too much slack in the drive belt. I was also a little low on transmission fluid at the same time so some of the odd noise may have been from that as well. Still trying to figure out where the tranny fluid went as I have no sign of leakage.

2UP3DOWN

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2UP3DOWN

• CVO1: 2021 FLHTCUTGSE - Sunset Orange &amp Sunset Black
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO3: 2009 FLTRSE3 Silver Surfer - 2013 FLHRSE5 Crushed Saphire
Re: Odd sound coming from the motor in gear
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 10:16:22 AM »

From your description of the noise it sounds like a hard to describe noise I experienced on my bike. It turned out to be too much slack in the drive belt. I was also a little low on transmission fluid at the same time so some of the odd noise may have been from that as well. Still trying to figure out where the tranny fluid went as I have no sign of leakage.

You're pretty much spot on. Turns out the rubber isolation spacer that separates the drive pulley from the wheel was dry and missing lubrication.  After just having both tires replaced this noise developed. No huge surprise that the local dealer took multiple days to find the problem ... but also prolly caused it ...   The sh*t does get tiresome after a while...

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 21 queries.