Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16

Author Topic: New Nolan N-104 review.....  (Read 48459 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: New Nolan N-104 review.....
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2012, 02:06:57 PM »

Anybody seen the N-104 yet?  Your thoughts?
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2012, 03:10:35 PM »

Here is someone pre-ordering for $319:

http://www.compacc.com/p/Nolan-N104-N-Com-Modular-Helmets-Solid

It said $349.00 on the web page that opened -- any idea where the $319 units are.  That's a great deal, if available at that price!  :2vrolijk_21:

I'm ready to get a new helmet after way too long.  I've been using a Shoei Synchrotech for over five years and love it, but it's time to toss it.  I change the visor most every day I ride to work, because in the morning when it's dark, I need clear.  But in the afternoon, a shaded visor is used.  The visor is so easy to change most anyone can do it almost blindfolded.  I really like the idea of the internal visor and have wanted a helmet that has that feature.  Hopefully, no more visor changes with this system.

I have a concern regarding the N-COM Bluetooth system.  I've been using wired J&M headsets for close to ten years and would love to get rid of the wires.  Problem so far is the Bluetooth sets I’ve looked at are very limited, comparatively speaking.  They do not work with the CB Radio (???) and have limited ability communicating between bikes.  Is this right, or am I missing something?  In the literature, they talk about cell phones, MP3 and intercom, but I see nothing about CB communications between bikes.  That’s a deal killer for me with the Bluetooth setups.  I ride with a lot of groups and use communications when possible.  This system is great for riding in a silo, but I enjoy being able to communicate with the guy five bikes ahead if necessary.  I realize many here are not of the same mind about this, but it’s my preference. 

Any additional information regarding the Bluetooth system would be most appreciated. Especially anyone who knows whether they work as well as the wired systems with the CB radio.
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2012, 03:11:51 PM »

Just looked tried it and the new  Schubert on. May order the nolan before I leave. NYC bike show.

iPhone using Tapatalk
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2012, 05:03:12 PM »

Eagleye...to my knowledge, there is no way to communicate through the CB via any BT device, including the Nolan system.  J&M may be coming out (if not already) with a hardwired headset made to fit the N-104.  They did with the N-102 and N103.  It fits in the little door on the side of the helmet like the Nolan BT, but has a pigtail hanging down that you must hook up to their adapter cord, which fits the 7 pin HD console connection.

You can do most anything else with the Nolan BT (with the HD NIM and the hdbomm dongle), but no CB.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2012, 10:27:05 PM »

Ordered the 104, let you know in February - march.

iPhone using Tapatalk

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2012, 11:28:28 AM »

Now that I am not using a phone....................

tried out both the new Schubert and Nolan helmets.

Nolan: fit good, visor is huge, locking is all stainless. As the chin bar raises it is cantilevered to slide up closer to the helmet shell. Visor equipped with pin lock and it comes with a pin lock shield that now has a silicone seal along the edge. Nolan claims to be the only licensed in-house pin lock manufacturer.
Chin bar can be locked in the open position.
One finger slide for the drop down sun visor, one button retract. The visor does not seem to be able to be left in anything but the deployed or retracted position.
Helmet uses the new Ncom B4 comm unit that only works with Nolan devices. Up to 4 now.

As the Ncom system has a history that appears to be good, I was more concerned with the speakers and or if better speakers could be installed. My desire is to listen to my tunes in the helmet instead of the out in the open (no good above 50-55). The Ncom is mounted in the normal spot for a Nolan and is not backwards compatible, different size and shape.
I only have one song on my new phone, but it is one I have heard dozens of times in various settings (home, truck, ear or head phones). I was pleasantly surprised at how well the sound was and really anticipate finally being able to enjoy some tunes on the road.

I did not try and sync the iPhone to try Bluetooth music, I used a mini jack patch cord.

Schubert: Fit is good, visor is a standard size is a pin lock type (no shield supplied). Visor also has a series of "bumps" along the top edge of the shield that is supposed to do something for the air flow. The chin bar locking is all stainless. The drop down sun visor is slide actuated, seemed to drop further then the Nolan and could be left in any position.

The comms are actually part of the neck collar. No neck collar, no comms. The comm unit is built by Scala and is equivalent to the the latest Scala Q4. Neither comm unit at the Schubert booth was charged up   :nixweiss: I asked the rep if he would make an effort to get it charged and he begrudgingly agreed to try. Never made it back to the booth to see if he did.

Both claim to have new and superior ventilation that is supposed to be fairly quiet. That is an issue I have with my current helmet, the wind noise with the vent open is horrible.
Both have removable neck colliers and chin dams. Both claim anti bacterial components and fully removable for cleaning.

Both helmets were more of a challenge to don and doff, strong shells take more effort to spread to get over your noggin. My HD HJC FF is fairly easy.

Also stopped at the Scala booth. They also did not have a Q4 charged up and mounted in a helmet for me to try my iPod  :nixweiss:
I asked about the speakers, the new Q4 have amplified 32 ohm speakers and are "supposed" to sound much better then the earlier models - but not having them charged , who knows.
And he couldn't tell me if my iPod/iPhone would sync and play music.

Nolan - show price $399 shipped, sometime in late February. comms, $399 extra for one unit. The Nolan was $50 extra for anything that was not a plain color e.g. one of the graphic patterns.

Schubert - Show price $699, some in stock. Don't recall if they included the tax at that price. Comms were also $399 for one unit. For a comparison, you could get the Scala Q4 for 2 people for the $399 price, and it will work when you take out the neck collar/dam.

$300 price difference, not having full time comms put the Schubert out of contention.

Both helmets are DOT and ECE certified. Neither helmet can be Snell certified due to the movable chin bar
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 11:34:45 AM by porthole »

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2012, 11:38:47 AM »

Something I also learned. With the Snell and DOT testing apparently when the samples are given, tested and approved the manufacturer gets a lifetime approval as long as no changes are made.
Supposedly with the ECE cert, 150 of every 3000 helmets are pulled and tested. That would certainly define some of the foreign helmet pricing schemes.

MV 2013

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2012, 11:39:24 AM »

Now that I am not using a phone....................

tried out both the new Schubert and Nolan helmets.

Nolan: fit good, visor is huge, locking is all stainless. As the chin bar raises it is cantilevered to slide up closer to the helmet shell. Visor equipped with pin lock and it comes with a pin lock shield that now has a silicone seal along the edge. Nolan claims to be the only licensed in-house pin lock manufacturer.
Chin bar can be locked in the open position.
One finger slide for the drop down sun visor, one button retract. The visor does not seem to be able to be left in anything but the deployed or retracted position.
Helmet uses the new Ncom B4 comm unit that only works with Nolan devices. Up to 4 now.

As the Ncom system has a history that appears to be good, I was more concerned with the speakers and or if better speakers could be installed. My desire is to listen to my tunes in the helmet instead of the out in the open (no good above 50-55). The Ncom is mounted in the normal spot for a Nolan and is not backwards compatible, different size and shape.
I only have one song on my new phone, but it is one I have heard dozens of times in various settings (home, truck, ear or head phones). I was pleasantly surprised at how well the sound was and really anticipate finally being able to enjoy some tunes on the road.

I did not try and sync the iPhone to try Bluetooth music, I used a mini jack patch cord.

Schubert: Fit is good, visor is a standard size is a pin lock type (no shield supplied). Visor also has a series of "bumps" along the top edge of the shield that is supposed to do something for the air flow. The chin bar locking is all stainless. The drop down sun visor is slide actuated, seemed to drop further then the Nolan and could be left in any position.

The comms are actually part of the neck collar. No neck collar, no comms. The comm unit is built by Scala and is equivalent to the the latest Scala Q4. Neither comm unit at the Schubert booth was charged up   :nixweiss: I asked the rep if he would make an effort to get it charged and he begrudgingly agreed to try. Never made it back to the booth to see if he did.

Both claim to have new and superior ventilation that is supposed to be fairly quiet. That is an issue I have with my current helmet, the wind noise with the vent open is horrible.
Both have removable neck colliers and chin dams. Both claim anti bacterial components and fully removable for cleaning.

Both helmets were more of a challenge to don and doff, strong shells take more effort to spread to get over your noggin. My HD HJC FF is fairly easy.

Also stopped at the Scala booth. They also did not have a Q4 charged up and mounted in a helmet for me to try my iPod  :nixweiss:
I asked about the speakers, the new Q4 have amplified 32 ohm speakers and are "supposed" to sound much better then the earlier models - but not having them charged , who knows.
And he couldn't tell me if my iPod/iPhone would sync and play music.

Nolan - show price $399 shipped, sometime in late February. comms, $399 extra for one unit. The Nolan was $50 extra for anything that was not a plain color e.g. one of the graphic patterns.

Schubert - Show price $699, some in stock. Don't recall if they included the tax at that price. Comms were also $399 for one unit. For a comparison, you could get the Scala Q4 for 2 people for the $399 price, and it will work when you take out the neck collar/dam.

$300 price difference, not having full time comms put the Schubert out of contention.

Both helmets are DOT and ECE certified. Neither helmet can be Snell certified due to the movable chin bar
And what is the weight of these?  :nixweiss: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2012, 11:43:57 AM »

And what is the weight of these?  :nixweiss: spyder

Ah ya caught me Spydy.

IIRC - the Nolan was 1640 grams, the Schubert was about 1600. I couldn't tell you if I could feel that difference picking up the helmets though. The Schubert's I handled were both with and without the comms. I only looked at the Nolan with comms, as that would be the way I would get it. And my test size had the Ncom installed
"Felt weight" seemed to be comparable to the Harley offered carbon fiber FF. Which by feel I could tell is lighter then my current FF.

Both helmets felt lighter both on my head and in my hands then what I am used too.

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2012, 11:46:24 AM »

1600 grams = 3.53 pounds
1640 grams = 3.62 pounds

MV 2013

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2012, 11:54:05 AM »

Thanks a bunch for the preview write up Duane.  I think I'm about ready to pull the trigger on the pre-order for the Nolan w/NCOM. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2012, 11:55:46 AM »

1600 grams = 3.53 pounds
1640 grams = 3.62 pounds
Now just got to wait for your road test in Feb.  :) har.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2012, 12:27:38 PM »

Thanks a bunch for the preview write up Duane.  I think I'm about ready to pull the trigger on the pre-order for the Nolan w/NCOM. :2vrolijk_21:

Any shows coming up that you can test fit? Although, all my other helmets are a size large, and that is what I ordered.

Now just got to wait for your road test in Feb.  :) har.  spyder

The test ride will be when the spring rains wash all the salt away. Or - I could down hither and take a test ride on the ol' B&B  :2vrolijk_21:

MV 2013

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2012, 12:37:21 PM »

Any shows coming up that you can test fit? Although, all my other helmets are a size large, and that is what I ordered.
The test ride will be when the spring rains wash all the salt away. Or - I could down hither and take a test ride on the ol' B&B  :2vrolijk_21:

No, we (the Nor Cal members) looked when we were at the International Motorcycle Show last month but nobody had a Nolan N-104.  I currently wear an XL in the Nolan N-103 and that's what I wore in my earlier Nolan helmets, also.  That's what I'll order. :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2012, 12:39:01 PM »

Yeah, that's the ticket!  The ole Huckleberry wouldn't be as fast as your  :cherry: tho, now would it?  ::) har.  spyder
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16

Page created in 0.235 seconds with 21 queries.