Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16

Author Topic: New Nolan N-104 review.....  (Read 48460 times)

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
Re: New Nolan N-104 review.....
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2012, 01:23:53 PM »

Yeah, that's the ticket!  The ole Huckleberry wouldn't be as fast as your  :cherry: tho, now would it?  ::) har.  spyder

Probably not  :orange: but of course I would not ride that one fine looking machine hard in the first place  :2vrolijk_21:
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2012, 01:26:11 PM »

No, we (the Nor Cal members) looked when we were at the International Motorcycle Show last month but nobody had a Nolan N-104.  I currently wear an XL in the Nolan N-103 and that's what I wore in my earlier Nolan helmets, also.  That's what I'll order. :2vrolijk_21:

The helmets I saw were fresh over from the boot, among the first shipments in. Hence the reason for the late February delivery. I think you'll be good with the size then.

MV 2013

ak

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2012, 02:19:03 PM »

Be nice if we could do a group buy thru Jim I'd like 2 units?
,04seeg,s 09 roadglide,09 ultra

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2012, 02:26:17 PM »

There you go AK, have at it - I still need one more!

iPhone using Tapatalk

MV 2013

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2012, 02:31:26 PM »

If Nolan has gotten a size large helmet down to 1640 grams, that is a significant difference from the N103/N102 models, which weigh in at 1891 and 1850 respectively (size XL)  Nolan uses two shell sizes...one for sizes XXS to L, and another for XL to XXXL, so there will be some difference between the L and XL regarding weight.  Basically, Nolan has shaved off approximately 7 ounces of weight with the new helmet design.  It also has some interesting ventilation innovations, and a new, lighter helmet chin strap mechanisim.  Source:  http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/nolan-n-104/    There are some nice photos of the helmet in that article.

Duane...are you saying that the helmet visor does not have any detents, not even one for slightly cracked open?  Does the internal sun visor slide (located on the lower left of the shell) enable infinite adjustment from fully open to fully down or is it on a spring that allows either up or down?  That's not a huge deal, either way.  The main thing is that it appears to come down far enough for the lower edge not to be a line of sight issue.  The internal sun visor is one thing I really like on the newer helmets...the one on my Shark Evoline 2 works extremely well, though it could be a tad darker, but I think most of them are about 50% light transmission.  Having that visor is HUGE when traveling anywhere that has dark tunnels to ride through (Blue Ridge Parkway, for example).

It sounds like Nolan has made some real innovations with this helmet.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2012, 03:19:38 PM »

Duane...are you saying that the helmet visor does not have any detents, not even one for slightly cracked open?  Does the internal sun visor slide (located on the lower left of the shell) enable infinite adjustment from fully open to fully down or is it on a spring that allows either up or down?  That's not a huge deal, either way.  The main thing is that it appears to come down far enough for the lower edge not to be a line of sight issue.  The internal sun visor is one thing I really like on the newer helmets...the one on my Shark Evoline 2 works extremely well, though it could be a tad darker, but I think most of them are about 50% light transmission.  Having that visor is HUGE when traveling anywhere that has dark tunnels to ride through (Blue Ridge Parkway, for example).

It sounds like Nolan has made some real innovations with this helmet.

Terry,
The main "clear" visor. I don't recall if it had actual detent's, but I tried it in the just cracked position and about  1/2" open and it stayed, and the rep saw what I was doing and said it is  designed to do just that. I did not try any other positions, as for me it is either just open or all the way.

The sun visor did not stay in mid positions, tried that too.
That was a difference between the Nand S lids.
The Schubert had only a sliding "switch" that seemed to allow the visor to stop and stay.
The Schubert sun visor also dropped down a bout 1/4" more, doesn't seem like much but it was noticeable with the helmets on. Not having a bike to sit to see how the visor affected the line of site I did notice on the Nolan that the bottom of the visor seemed to be in the middle of my site line through the lower half of my "no line" glasses.

The Nolan had a slider and release button. Use the slider to deploy, push the button to retract. I also tried that in several positions and it did not stay.

MV 2013

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2012, 04:09:03 PM »

Terry, on the N-103, the clear face shield has several detents while the inner sun shield is spring loaded.  And I remember that one of the improvements with the N-103 from earlier models was that the sun shield came down lower so that it didn't interfere in the line of sight with some riders.  Hopefully, Nolan has only improved on what they had with their last model.

I remember when I first started wearing the flip face helmet.  There was an adjustment period for me to get used to it......due to a bit of claustrophobia.  I would have to leave the face shield in the up or open position until I was on the bike and moving.  And then I'd have to open it before I stopped.  Gradually, I got used to it and it's no longer an issue for me.  However, I believe that some people will not wear a flip face for that same claustrophobia issue, regardless of how much cooler they are in the triple digit temps or how much warmer they are in the freezing temps, than a half shell or 3/4 shell.  With the huge windshield on this helmet (I think it came out of a 60 Impala!), it may be what was needed for those people to be able to cross over to a flip face modular helmet.

Here's a link to the site that Terry mentioned above......some interesting read and information (click on this link and then scroll down for the article).... 
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/nolan-n-104/

By the way, I've shot Jim an email asking if he's interested in following up on Andy's suggestion above. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2012, 09:53:38 AM »

JC, I still do that with the Shoei.  Mainly because if it's nice out, I like the fresh air.  Also, when in local traffic, I find making contact with others is easier with the chin bar up and out of the way.  They can more clearly see my expressions, for whatever that's worth.  :coolblue: 

Thanks all for this great thread. It's helped me decide. I'll most likely order a J&M set for the new lid when I get it, or use the one I have now.   

I am interested if a group order is made available.  A quick trip to Road Rider is in order to try one on first, but I'm 95% there.
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2012, 09:27:01 PM »

RevZilla has the Nolan N-104 listed at a pre-sale price of $349 (free shipping and no sales tax!!) normally $449.95 and due to be released mid Feb.....   http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/nolan-n104-helmet-solid

Also, I just got an email from them this afternoon announcing that they just listed for pre-sale the Nolan N-COM B4 Bluetooth at $341.95 (no shipping and no tax) normally $379.95......   http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/nolan-n-com-b4-bluetooth-kit-for-n104-helmets

This new helmet/bluetooth is definately advanced from the previous N-Com system.  Take a look at this....

http://www.n-com.it/site/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=55&Itemid=228&lang=us&brandid=1

and the FAQs......

http://www.n-com.it/site/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=7&Itemid=41&lang=us&brandid=1#b4
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2012, 09:28:53 PM »

I am suspicious that as soon as these helmets and the B4 N-com is released to the open market that the price will jump up closer to MSRP prices.....just my gut feeling on this. :nixweiss:

Now.......because I said that....watch it go the other direction and be even cheaper. :huepfenlol2:

West Coast GTG   

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2012, 12:07:13 PM »

JC...Revzilla generally has about the best prices out there for helmets, especially when you consider their customer service, which I have found to be excellent.  That's a good price for the helmet...the BT stuff may go down in price over time, but in your case the helmet is not much good to you without the BT, if I understand how you use communication devices on your bikes.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Arwyn

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2012, 01:17:09 PM »

I will second Revzilla. Got my helmets from them, and some other gear. Great folks, very friendly, and awesome customer service. If you have any problems with the helmet, including fit, you can send it back for a trade or refund. I have been pretty impressed with them so far.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2012, 05:22:28 PM »

I questioned the Nolan folks at the show with the pricing on the internet being what it is. The answer I got was the pricing is based on stock that is not available.

So time will tel whether the $349 JC found will be real or not, at least for the first 6 months or so of sales.
I don't believe I got any bargain ordering through Nolan, but I do think I will have it before it is generally available to the rest of the market.
I was told the Ncom is an easy install when you get the helmet, but mine will be factory installed. Don't know if that makes a difference either.

Anyway, it will be 5-6 months before the BSR starts riding , so by that time maybe there will be some real deals on the net.

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2012, 06:11:27 PM »

Note - those net prices are for solid colors, graphics adds $50

MV 2013

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2012, 07:00:10 PM »

I questioned the Nolan folks at the show with the pricing on the internet being what it is. The answer I got was the pricing is based on stock that is not available.

So time will tel whether the $349 JC found will be real or not, at least for the first 6 months or so of sales.
I don't believe I got any bargain ordering through Nolan, but I do think I will have it before it is generally available to the rest of the market.
I was told the Ncom is an easy install when you get the helmet, but mine will be factory installed. Don't know if that makes a difference either.

Anyway, it will be 5-6 months before the BSR starts riding , so by that time maybe there will be some real deals on the net.

I expect those "pre-sale" prices to only be good until the helmets are available......then they'll go up right away.  Don't think it will be months later.  The RevZilla web site says mid-Feb. on the helmets and early Mar. on the B4 N-comm.   But then a couple months ago they were saying the first of the year for a release on the helmets. :nixweiss:

West Coast GTG   
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 21 queries.