Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: St. Paul H-D sues the MoCo for restriction of international sales  (Read 16000 times)

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden

the dealer in St.Paul, Minnesota, Tom Giannetti goes to court against the new international sales policy of Harley-Davidson:

"Harley-Davidson puts brakes on dealer sales-lawsuit

Harley-Davidson sued over restrictions on dealer sales

St. Paul dealer claims new policies threaten business

By Kyle Peterson

Nov 11 (Reuters) - A Harley-Davidson Inc dealer in St. Paul, Minnesota, has sued the motorcycle maker in federal court, claiming the company's restrictions on international sales by U.S. dealers and sales through third-party websites are unfair and weaken the dealer's profits.

In a lawsuit filed Nov. 1, St. Paul Harley-Davidson complained about new restrictions on its methods for selling motorcycle parts, accessories and clothing.

"These changes would deprive (St. Paul Harley-Davidson) of literally millions of dollars of annual revenues, thereby jeopardizing its ability to remain in business," the dealer said.

The dealer said it earned $8 million a year in revenue from those sales from 2008 through 2010.

Motorcycle sales declined in 2008 as the economic recession eroded discretionary spending. But sales have begun to improve.

Harley-Davidson last month said its third-quarter net income more than doubled from a year earlier.

A Harley-Davidson spokeswoman declined to comment on the specifics of the lawsuit. "We disagree with the dealer's premise," she said.

Harley-Davidson, which is especially protective of its brand, restricts sales of new inventory through third-party websites.

According to the lawsuit, the motorcycle maker said that starting Aug. 1, U.S. dealers may not sell Harley-Davidson parts and accessories to any customer outside the United States. The lawsuit said that starting Jan. 1, 2012, U.S. dealers may not sell new parts or accessories on third-party websites.

The policy revisions illegally alter the company's franchise agreement with dealers, the lawsuit claims.

Tom Giannetti, dealership president, said in an Oct. 7 post on the St. Paul Harley-Davidson website, that Harley-Davidson had changed its policies to block sales of products through websites such eBay and Amazon.com.

"These new policies are highly controversial and may be arguable," Giannetti said in the statement. "We certainly do not feel it is fair when we've spent years building a customer service-oriented business to promote the brand worldwide."

Shares of Harley-Davidson were up 4.4 percent at $39.30 on the New York Stock Exchange.

The lawsuit is St. Paul Motorsports, Inc., d/b/a St. Paul Harley-Davidson, vs. Harley-Davidson Motor Company, Inc., d/b/a Harley-Davidson Motor Company; No 0:11-cv-03229-PJS-TNL in the United States District Court For The District Of Minnesota Third Division."

(source:  Reuters)

on the dealers website you may read:

"As some of you may have heard, the Harley-Davidson Motor Company has changed their policies regarding U.S.dealers and their ability to provide products to the international community. To best address this, I have included a statement from Tom Giannetti, President and CEO of St. Paul Harley-Davidson.

“I am sorry to confirm that Harley-Davidson Motor Company (HDMC) announced a new policy to the dealer network that as of 8/1/11, it will consider sales by domestic H-D® dealers of any genuine product to ANY individuals or dealers outside the U.S. to be non-retail sales and a violation of their dealer contract. HDMC also announced a policy prohibiting dealers from listing or selling current genuine product on third party websites (e.g., e-bay, Amazon, etc.) effective 1/1/12. HDMC will also consider a dealer’s own website a third party site, if not approved by HDMC. Our own shopping site, <a target="_blank" href="http://www.stpaulharley.com,">www.stpaulharley.com,[/url] has been approved by HDMC.

These new policies are highly controversial and may be arguable. We certainly do not feel it is fair when we’ve spent years building a customer service oriented business to promote the brand worldwide.

For the time being, St. Paul Harley-Davidson® will continue selling and shipping our products overseas; however, this policy could change at any time without further notice. Because this situation is so tentative, we urge all of our overseas customers to place orders without delay. We look forward to serving you.”

As you can see, we are continuing to offer international purchasing and shipping on genuine Harley-Davidson® apparel, parts and accessories for now; however, we do not know for how long. We will continue to update you as new information becomes available."

interesting case ...
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

bisounours

• 5k CVO Member
  • First miles the 6th February 2008

Re: St. Paul H-D sues the MoCo for restriction of international sales
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 05:04:37 AM »

:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :2vrolijk_21:
********2007 FLHTCUSE2 Red/Black**********
  SE RYO A/C and KN filter, V&H dressers duals and
          oval, TM/AT map#364, SE 251 cams.
     2008 FLHTCUSE3, White Frost and Silver Mist
              (Casper) -> 6th February 2008
             SE 251 cams/Torrington bearings,
      SE pushrods, SE High compression pistons,
             A/C Big sucker, V&H dresser duals ,
             Fullsac baffles, SE Pro Super Tuner.
2011 FLHXSE2, Stage1

robertg

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 07:22:55 AM »

I'll be in that area in a few weeks, I think I'll go spend some money there.

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 10:08:41 AM »

St. Paul HD is my dealer & I've met Tom a few times. Nice guy, VERY fucused on customer service. I have always highly recommended them. Feel even stronger now! I consider the HD policy restraint of trade & it will be interesting to see this play out.

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 10:39:49 AM »

Took the US dealers long enough to figure they would loose revenue,   :drink: :drink:

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 04:03:10 PM »

I sure hope they win. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

hdtrader

• Full CVO Member
  • ...in the motorcycle riding business since 1964.

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE7 in Electric Orange and Black Diamond accented with H-D's Big City Lights Graphics...how did the MoCo come up with a description like that?
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 09:10:29 AM »

I've purchased through them and wish them the best...
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 09:17:57 AM by hdtrader »
Randy
North Alabama...the Greater Tennessee Valley

aero8

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 12:44:08 PM »

I wish St.Paul HD all the Best and I hope that they will win this fight against MOCO.

Again I had a little experience with the part prices here in Switzerland.

Price in USA is 109 Dollars, here in Switzerland they asked for the very same item nearly 470 Dollars (430 sfr) ARE THEY CRAZY??? :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

I am not stupid and let them steal my hardearned money, so I found another way to get this item.

I hope MOCO stops this bullchit and will harmonize the prices in Europe with the USA.

Aero8/ Switzerland 

C2CRider

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 04:51:05 PM »

Sounds like the MOCO is run by the same bunch of controlling liberals that run Seattle.   Think I'll call this dealership and purchase something / pretty much anything, from them.    Don't buy the Ts anymore, can't see supporting China any more than I have too!

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 08:33:44 AM »

St. Paul Harley has got some Ballz and I applaud them for taking a stand  :2vrolijk_21:  they earned my respect and I'll show it by supporting them through on-line purchases off their network.  :2vrolijk_21:

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 09:51:50 AM »

I wish St.Paul HD all the Best and I hope that they will win this fight against MOCO.

Again I had a little experience with the part prices here in Switzerland.

Price in USA is 109 Dollars, here in Switzerland they asked for the very same item nearly 470 Dollars (430 sfr) ARE THEY CRAZY??? :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[I am not stupid and let them steal my hardearned money, so I found another way to get this item.

I hope MOCO stops this bullchit and will harmonize the prices in Europe with the USA.

Aero8/ Switzerland 

They do the same thing to Canadians too. >:(

Wild Card

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 10:24:07 AM »

Unfortunately, it's a bit more complicated than HD screwing the consumers of other countries.  What's at issue is what is called "transfer pricing" and is largely dictated by local governments, local markets and international tax law.  

Alright, I'm done with the boring stuff.  In reality, it sucks that the foreigners can't buy product through the U.S. dealers!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 05:24:05 PM by Wild Card »

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 01:43:24 PM »

I don't understand why the prices are so much higher in other countries than in the US. Seems like the only explanation is price gouging going on out there. Three to four X pricing cannot be justified by import duties, shipping costs, local costs, or anything else I can understand...

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 03:37:23 PM »

Sounds like the MOCO is run by the same bunch of controlling liberals that run Seattle.   

On the contrary, I'd say the MOCO's profit side is run by a bunch of conservative business men/women who want to maximize profits for the shareholders by dictating business practices to the very people who make the profits for them, and to hell with the consumer.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2011, 04:20:06 PM »

Guys....let's remember.  Politics have no place on this board.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.468 seconds with 22 queries.