Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Why does Harley support chinese clothing?  (Read 15817 times)

berniemc

• Full CVO Member
Why does Harley support chinese clothing?
« on: November 13, 2011, 07:55:24 AM »

Went to local Harley shop yesterday looking for a jacket and got to noticing made in china labels.Everything in the store was made in china.People wonder why there are no jobs in our country and our American made motorcycle supports China.I wont be buying any.

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
Re: Why does Harley support chinese clothing?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 08:31:12 AM »

Get used to it!

Its all to do with the bottom line purchase price and achieving the greatest profit for the shareholders

Paul1

• Senior CVO Member
  • CVO SESG2, FXDC

• CVO1: FLHXSESG2
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 08:39:53 AM »

Considering the amount of money they make on official HD merchandising you would think they would produce more in the US, but your right it's all about profit these days ! If we're not careful countries like china & India will take over !!!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 11:02:07 AM »

It's what the occupy protests are all about.....corporate greed.

Was at the factory outlets in Vacaville on Friday evening.....Levis store.  Levis were a jean originally designed for the gold miners here in Calif. in the 1850s and were made in San Francisco.  I can remember seeing the factory in the city, as a kid. 

The factory is gone and the 501 jeans, still advertised as "The Original Levis" (not even close.....different material, no rivets in the corners of the pockets, etc. and the label is no longer real leather) now bears a label that says "Made In Mexico".  :zwtf:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 11:24:59 AM »

It's what the occupy protests are all about.....corporate greed.

Was at the factory outlets in Vacaville on Friday evening.....Levis store.  Levis were a jean originally designed for the gold miners here in Calif. in the 1850s and were made in San Francisco.  I can remember seeing the factory in the city, as a kid. 

The factory is gone and the 501 jeans, still advertised as "The Original Levis" (not even close.....different material, no rivets in the corners of the pockets, etc. and the label is no longer real leather) now bears a label that says "Made In Mexico".  :zwtf:

That was in the 1850's, correct?  :huepfenjump3:
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 11:31:21 AM »

That was in the 1850's, correct?  :huepfenjump3:
:ROFLOL: :zroflmao: :zroflmao:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

sglide4me

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 11:39:58 AM »

Hard to find anything not made in China anymore, but I refuse to pay top dollar for the Harley label made in China, so if I have to buy made in China there are other brands that are made just as well or better for alot less.

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 11:50:09 AM »

H-D jeans made in USA I think were one of the last things to go. I've still got a couple pair that say Made in USA on the label. Went to buy some recently and noticed they were no longer made in USA so I didn't buy them. If all I can get is Chinese crap then I'm not gonna pay top dollar. H-D can stuff it. I haven't bought a single soft item from H-D in several years now. I'd skip the hard parts if I could but I'm not much in using aftermarket stuff on my motorcycle. Irregardless of where it's made, I am trying to keep the vehicle OEM. Not to say the fact that most of the parts on it, are made outside of the USA doesn't piss me off but it's been five years since I bought my last new H-D and I suspect it will be my last new purchase from them. Whether they realize it or not for one reason or another their customer base is eroding. For some it's quality. For some it's the greed of the dealers. For others it's poor service and techs who don't GAS. And for others still it's stuff like this, all their peripheral items being made abroard. I won't mourn the day H-D shutters it's doors. That day will only make the H-D's I own more valuable.

B B

Mrs Rooster

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rooster May Crow But The Hen Delivers The Goods!!
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 12:12:56 PM »

We have bought from 2 different American Leather companies
Our favorite is Langlitz Leathers...family owned and ran. You can have it custom built for you with a couple of sittings or you can buy it right off the rack. You pay a little more but the quality (leather and workmanship) is well worth it
www.langlitz.com
another is Fox Creek Leathers
www.foxcreekleathers.com
 There are more out there, these are two I can think of.
Good luck with your search  :2vrolijk_21:

America needs to remember that the EMPLOYEE WAGES/TAXES is what has driven business overseas. We want American made but not everyone wants to pay the price. Some may disagree and say greed BUT the business OWNER is in business to make a profit...high rent, wages, taxes, etc.  Some owners have sold their souls to the devil and need a bigger profit for what ever reason. Phil Knight owner of Nike (sent his business overseas), and has given the University Of Oregon (we look good on the football field, don't we) over 300 million, Stanford University in CA over 15 million, Hillsboro Oregon has the Nike Campus and American researchers...tons of $$$ in Oregon just from 1 man. There is so much more that he does in our great state of Oregon that I could keep going on and on. This is one business owner that has been labeled "Greedy Corp America....could he do that and pay an employee over $20.00 an hour plus benefits  to sew shoes...I think not. I do agree there is greed in America BUT it is everywhere, we have created it...it is just not Corp America...Look around...it is us, your neighbor, greed is everywhere. How much of Corp America is even American owned anymore? I wonder if I am going to be deleted? Sorry just my rant  :soapbox:

I do agree that Harley has a bunch of over priced imported junk.

We are never lost sometimes it just takes longer to get there.

grayghost731

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Built For ME! Love My Fatboy CVO

• CVO1: FLSTFSE Platinum Mist&Slate 102.81 HP 113.47 Torque
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 12:38:36 PM »

Considering the amount of money they make on official HD merchandising you would think they would produce more in the US, but your right it's all about profit these days ! If we're not careful countries like china & India will take over !!!

they already have where ya been  :nixweiss: 

tompen

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 03:57:49 PM »

I bet if an american tee-shirt company went to HD and offered the same quality product at the same price delivered, we would be wearing "made in USA". But, that doesn't happen. The Chinese manufacture, and ship the product across the ocean and we still won't compete. We just complain. I'm sorry but I see it as our fault. With 10% unemployment, why can't we manufacture and sell clothing on our own shore.
Just how I see it.

grayghost731

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Built For ME! Love My Fatboy CVO

• CVO1: FLSTFSE Platinum Mist&Slate 102.81 HP 113.47 Torque
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 04:06:07 PM »

I bet if an american tee-shirt company went to HD and offered the same quality product at the same price delivered, we would be wearing "made in USA". But, that doesn't happen. The Chinese manufacture, and ship the product across the ocean and we still won't compete. We just complain. I'm sorry but I see it as our fault. With 10% unemployment, why can't we manufacture and sell clothing on our own shore.
Just how I see it.

You are closer to the truth then you think  >:( We Need to WAKE UP AMERICA  :2vrolijk_21:

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 04:36:58 PM »

Just how I see it.

Because those that are still making things in America believe that having "Made in the U.S.A" on the label should draw a premium price over something that is made elsewhere.  Face it, American businesses cannot compete at $15-20/hr labor rates in the U.S. with countries, like China, that pay that amount, if your lucky, per day to their workers.   As Mrs. Rooster said, our own greed as laborers and constantly badgering management for more and more money per hour has forced businesses to go overseas for their labor.  Big business is not going to cut the bottom line profit in favor of paying higher wages.  That's why a laptop made in China will cost you $700 and and equally capable one built in the U.S. will cost you $2100.  It's simple ecconomics, until the U.S. can compete with foreign manufacturers, we won't see "Made in America" much longer, unless you're willing to pay three times as much for that priviledge.  JMO

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

berniemc

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2011, 05:34:02 PM »

For the price Harley charges for their clothing it could be made in America.If everyone like me quit buying their chinese junk they would try to get American cos involved.

tompen

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 06:01:36 PM »

How about if HD spun off a division,  used some realestate they already own, people they already have, and start making thier own line of clothing in the US. Buy domestic products and pay a wage that is at least better that welfare. Maybe let the employees share in profits. They should be able to make at least as much money as buying imported stuff. Make a big deal about all domestic content and labor. We are already used to paying way too much for the licensed stuff. Since they own the license, they could export it to China and the world.
The big question would be--WIIFM.  (Whats in it for me) Me being HD.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 21 queries.