Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sorry, but another Cam question  (Read 7095 times)

T-Babe

• CVO1: 2011 Softail Convertible
    • CVO2: 2003 SE Deuce
Sorry, but another Cam question
« on: November 14, 2011, 06:08:43 PM »

I just picked up a 2003 SE Deuce - this is my second CVO (have a softail convertible); I am now blessed with my two favorite bikes (convertible & Deuce). I had a Deuce and sold it a few years back (a bad decision that I regretted). Anyway, my Convertible has an SE 255 cam in it with a Supertrapp Supermeg exhaust tuned with an SERT. This SE Deuce has a stage I kit and V&H Big Radius pipes along with the V&H fuel pak. I really happy with my cam and set up on the convertible, being a rider that stays around 2800-3200 RPM, moving at about 80 or so on the highways. So, I was going to set up the Deuce with another cam (it has SE 203 in it) and the SERT; taking off the fuel pak. I didnt know whether to go with the SE 253 or the SE 255; wanting to stay with HD - the mechanic at HD recommended a SE 211. Any suggestions?

By the way; I was also doing the following to the Deuce as well:
- 6 speed tranny
- hydraulic cluch with performance spring
- oil cooler
- a new tensioner set up - the SE hydraulic cam chain tensioner and high-fLow oil pump upgrade kit

I know I already have 2 good riding bikes; I just want to tweak the deuce a little.

SandS RESTOS

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTDSE2 Cobalt Blue/Starlight Black
Re: Sorry, but another Cam question
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 08:23:44 AM »

Go down to your local H-D shop and talk to there best tech. It's free, and they can tell you what cam or mods to make for your personal style of riding. Sorry thats all I got. Let us know what cam you decide on.
Live to Ride, Ride to Live!!

SandS RESTOS

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 07:43:40 PM »

I went with the Screamin' Eagle 211 cams. Have Vance & Hines Big Shots Staggered slash cut pipes, Screamin' eagle Heavy Breather, & a Power Commander III. Also just had the New Screamin' Eagle Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioner Plate Kit installed too. Dyno'd 105hp/ 105ft/lbs torque. Best I think I can do without upgraded springs, rocker arms, & head work. I'll roll w/ this set up for now and see if it's going to be enough for me for a while.

Mr D

• 1K CVO Member
    • WI

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 08:16:02 PM »

I just picked up a 2003 SE Deuce - this is my second CVO (have a softail convertible); I am now blessed with my two favorite bikes (convertible & Deuce). I had a Deuce and sold it a few years back (a bad decision that I regretted). Anyway, my Convertible has an SE 255 cam in it with a Supertrapp Supermeg exhaust tuned with an SERT. This SE Deuce has a stage I kit and V&H Big Radius pipes along with the V&H fuel pak. I really happy with my cam and set up on the convertible, being a rider that stays around 2800-3200 RPM, moving at about 80 or so on the highways. So, I was going to set up the Deuce with another cam (it has SE 203 in it) and the SERT; taking off the fuel pak. I didnt know whether to go with the SE 253 or the SE 255; wanting to stay with HD - the mechanic at HD recommended a SE 211. Any suggestions?

By the way; I was also doing the following to the Deuce as well:
- 6 speed tranny
- hydraulic cluch with performance spring
- oil cooler
- a new tensioner set up - the SE hydraulic cam chain tensioner and high-fLow oil pump upgrade kit

I know I already have 2 good riding bikes; I just want to tweak the deuce a little.

if you have to stay with a HD cam in that 95" with no head work i would install the SE 204, with a D&D FatCat, Good tuner on hand and Let r' Rip.....Just throwin it out there Andrews makes some good power cams for the earlier 88" and 95"

2014 FLHRSE6 Orange/Black
2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby/Typhoon [Sold]
2007 SEUC2 Red/Blk [Sold]
2006 SEUC Haze/Black [Sold]
2005 SEEG Yellow [Sold]
2003 VRSCA [Sold]
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Phil 4:13

T-Babe

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 04:12:35 PM »

Thanks for all your comments - I am going with the SE255 after some lengthy discussions. Will let you know how it turns out.
Be safe - thanks

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 07:35:00 PM »

The SE255 will not directly fit a TC88 or TC95 engine unless you have the inner bearing journals modified to fit the old size inner bearings.  The cam bearing journal sizes were changed in 2007 (2006 Dyna).  It can be done with some machine work and sleeves to resize the bearing journals, but I can't imagine why it wouldn't be a better idea to just find a cam actually made to be used in your 2003 Twin Cam. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 08:11:26 PM »

Hope the "lengthy discussions" weren't with the same tech/shop that will be doing the installation.  Recommending parts that won't fit the engine doesn't bode well for the rest of the work.

SandS RESTOS

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 12:40:13 AM »

Hope the "lengthy discussions" weren't with the same tech/shop that will be doing the installation.  Recommending parts that won't fit the engine doesn't bode well for the rest of the work.

X2

T-Babe

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 01:14:04 PM »

Wow, the SE 255 doesn't fit???!!!!!
Just another reason why I really support this Forum
I really appreciate all of your help - now, this is the third HD shop I've been to in the past few years - I will definitely not have the work done there by any means.
Now, I have to find a dealer/shop that I trust.
Here's what I've been through - I am able to go to dealers in NY, NJ and eastern PA - as I travel through all those areas.

Again, thank you so much for your help as it would have caused a lot of pain.

SandS RESTOS

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 10:19:39 AM »

So what did you decide?

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 01:14:14 PM »

My old 00 Road King had the HD 95" kit with the matching heads. The cam choice back then was either 203 or the 211. I went with the 203 as I pulled a tent trailer and it was awsome. However if it weren't for the trailer the 211 would have been a better choice. The 203 is awsome low to midrange and the 211 is better mid to upper power.

T-Babe

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 01:19:29 PM »

to all the posts - thanks a bunch for all your info - decided to stick with the 203 that's already in it - if I do decide it needs some more oompf down the line, i do some major mods but for now, I'll just stick with the 203 - if it wasnt for this forum, i would have spent a lot of money and had work done on it by a shop that doeasnt know what they are doing - thanks again. Ride safe. RTLW.

petewerner

• I live to ride, I love to ride, everyday I ride :)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Ride it like U stole it, live life the same way.

• CVO1: 2003 FXSTDSE Sold
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 02:22:42 PM »

I went with the Screamin' Eagle 211 cams. Have Vance & Hines Big Shots Staggered slash cut pipes, Screamin' eagle Heavy Breather, & a Power Commander III. Also just had the New Screamin' Eagle Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioner Plate Kit installed too. Dyno'd 105hp/ 105ft/lbs torque. Best I think I can do without upgraded springs, rocker arms, & head work. I'll roll w/ this set up for now and see if it's going to be enough for me for a while.

I would love to study your dyno chart!! I have the same in the softail scooter setup but no dyno tune just a couple of runs on one. I got nowhere near that with mine. What cams do u have?? I am missing something but I want to get my 95" doing that!!!
1998 FLSTF with Kerker 2/1, Dyna 2000i single
       Fire Ignition, Chrome swing arm, Garrett Billet Wheels, Too much chrome
       2 list....
2011 FLTRx 103, Stage IV, SE Heavy Breather, SE Race Tuner, SE 58mm TB, V&H Power Duals, V&H H.O. Slipons=, Dyno tuned 117HP-111TQ :D Tank lift, drop seat, turning DARK

SandS RESTOS

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2012, 06:13:14 PM »

211 cams, HPI 51mm throttle body, H-D Heavy Breather, 8mm SE wires, Vance & Hines Big Shots Staggered slash cut pipes, Power Commander III. Temp. 50 degrees.  (w/203 cams, 94hp / 104. W/ stock 40mm H-D throttle body) Forgot to mention the HPI 51mm didn't I.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 06:33:35 PM by SandS RESTOS »

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 21 queries.