Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]

Author Topic: Loud Pipes  (Read 11360 times)

BONES - USMVMC

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Street Glide Tequila Sunrise
Loud Pipes
« on: November 17, 2011, 12:53:57 PM »

LMAO!! I just saw a news report on TV with what I believe was an insurance company. They said new data shows that Hybrid cars are more likely to get into an accident because they are quiet and people can't hear them. Now how do you feel about loud pipes on motorcycles? Still think they don't save lives?

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
Re: Loud Pipes
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 01:01:43 PM »

I agree 110%, love em loud............but obnoxious is still obnoxious  :2vrolijk_21:
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 01:04:38 PM »

It gets to a point when is loud too loud. I have followed some bikes that were just too dam loud. If you have to ware ear plugs to ride your own bike it's time to make a change.
Bill

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 01:30:12 PM »

Yeah... I need to take the unbaffled fishtails off of the old Evo FLHTP, and put the V&H Big Ovals back on. That bike is just TOO LOUD to ride behind for very long. Plus it runs better with the Big Ovals anyway. No low-end torque with the open pipes... but they sure look cool!

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

grayghost731

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Built For ME! Love My Fatboy CVO

• CVO1: FLSTFSE Platinum Mist&Slate 102.81 HP 113.47 Torque
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 01:36:49 PM »

Loud pipes do save lives  ;)  and as far as being to LOUD , Its like ROCK -n- ROLL if its to LOUD your to old  :bananarock:  lol

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 01:52:12 PM »

Actually, defensive driving (riding) saves lives, not obnoxiously loud pipes.  But there again, defensive driving (riding) requires a certain minimum amount of intelligence, whereas riding around with straight pipes and pizzing off everyone nearby requires no brains at all.  ;)

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 01:56:56 PM »

Actually, defensive driving (riding) saves lives, not obnoxiously loud pipes.  But there again, defensive driving (riding) requires a certain minimum amount of intelligence, whereas riding around with straight pipes and pizzing off everyone nearby requires no brains at all.  ;)

Jerry

With the sound protection levels in modern cars loud pipes are an exercise in "my peepee is bigger than yours."  Only other people that hear them are the other poor unfortunate bikes stuck riding behind and the civilians in the residential neighborhoods that are ridden through.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 01:59:26 PM »

LMAO!! I just saw a news report on TV with what I believe was an insurance company. They said new data shows that Hybrid cars are more likely to get into an accident because they are quiet and people can't hear them. Now how do you feel about loud pipes on motorcycles? Still think they don't save lives?

Would bet the stats will show it's an entirely different kind of accident.  Low speed parking lot stuff.  Not on the road driving.  My sister's Prius has gotten close to me a couple of times as she's backed out of her garage because it was running on electric rather than gas and my back was turned.

PASN YU

• Ride Hard
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2019 FLTRXSE Mako Shark
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 02:14:17 PM »

Actually, loud pipes, defensive driving, loud horns, reflective vests and whatever else you can come up with to make yourself more noticeable on your ride saves lives. And it's not about measuring. If you like your pipes loud, run 'em loud. I run a D&D fat cat and love it because it sounds good to me. Yes, it's loud.  :2vrolijk_21:
Trust, but verify.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 02:41:16 PM »

Actually, loud pipes, defensive driving, loud horns, reflective vests and whatever else you can come up with to make yourself more noticeable on your ride saves lives. And it's not about measuring. If you like your pipes loud, run 'em loud. I run a D&D fat cat and love it because it sounds good to me. Yes, it's loud.  :2vrolijk_21:

Have FatCats on both bikes.  But it's not that they're loud.  It's just that I can't hear for chit anymore...

PASN YU

• Ride Hard
  • Full CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 02:51:24 PM »

I guess loud is all relative to how deaf you are...
Trust, but verify.

grayghost731

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 02:51:57 PM »

Actually, loud pipes, defensive driving, loud horns, reflective vests and whatever else you can come up with to make yourself more noticeable on your ride saves lives. And it's not about measuring. If you like your pipes loud, run 'em loud. I run a D&D fat cat and love it because it sounds good to me. Yes, it's loud.  :2vrolijk_21:

Good point  :2vrolijk_21: I think it depends where you live who gets pi$$ed off for LOUD PIPES I live 5min from downtown DETROIT and thats where I ride My LOUD PIPES are a necessity (keeps the JUNKIES out of the street)
My pipes are no louder than the 500 horsepower muscle cars that are all over down there  :nixweiss:

kerb

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 04:45:03 PM »

There's folks with loud pipes, and then there is a different class of folks with loud pipes (the ones who can't keep from blipping the throttle and revving it up in neighborhoods).
My fatcat is loud and I like to twist the wick as much as the next guy, but I do it where it's not likely to annoy people.

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2011, 06:08:06 PM »

Found out the Rush pipes on my wifes RKC are a lot louder than I thought since I have followed her on the freeway going 70+mph, makes my Fullsac 2.25" baffles sound stock! She doesn't want me to change them...she's such a rebel!
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

StevesCVO

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2011, 07:17:02 PM »

With the sound protection levels in modern cars loud pipes are an exercise in "my peepee is bigger than yours."  Only other people that hear them are the other poor unfortunate bikes stuck riding behind and the civilians in the residential neighborhoods that are ridden through.

I have to agree with Twolane on this. If I can't hear chit riding behind you or you wake me up at 2am your pipes are too loud.

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2011, 11:11:04 PM »

I have to agree with Twolane on this. If I can't hear chit riding behind you or you wake me up at 2am your pipes are too loud.

W-H-A-T .......

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2011, 12:04:13 AM »

Jerry

Very well said Jerry. Totally agree. :2vrolijk_21:

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2011, 07:42:44 AM »

The noise thing on electric cars is at low speeds and mainly about pedestrians.  But they have a plan - speakers to produce noise so people can hear them.  I kid you not.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

pado

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: Longhorn
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2011, 08:05:39 AM »

:oops: :oops:  You'll be the first to agree with him I think. :D :D
Founding Member and Zen Master of Pondering, Hankering and Moseying Society with all accolades and privileges

Charter Member of CVO Critter Gawking Society

Master Bloody Mary Mixologist

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2011, 08:25:48 AM »

The noise thing on electric cars is at low speeds and mainly about pedestrians.  But they have a plan - speakers to produce noise so people can hear them.  I kid you not.

I think it's a sign of our times.  People with too much time on their hands and an agenda to push seem to think that we need to make vehicles loud enough so that not only blind people, but the much larger segment of the population that is just not paying attention to anything, will be able to cross the street without looking.  All those folks walking around with their iPhones and iPads sending their latest tweets about how they just saw a killer dress in the window or some hot babe over on Michigan Avenue can't be bothered to actually look up at the street and the people and vehicles around them.  People are run over every day by cars and trucks and buses that are far from silent. 

I hate to rain on anyones parade, but with all the running of red lights going on around here and seemingly everywhere, crossing any street without paying 100% attention to what you're doing is insane.  And with all the other ambient noise in any built up area, much less busy city streets, putting some goofy speaker with sound effects on a Prius isn't likely to make any difference.  Blind people need to face reality and ask for assistance crossing streets, and sighted people need to get their heads out of their azz and pay attention.

btw, I think the latest recommendation was a recording of some middle aged juvenile revving his Harley with straight pipes.  They were looking for something really obnoxious that no one could miss, and figured that was about as obnoxious as anything else out there.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2011, 10:44:10 AM »

:oops: :oops:  You'll be the first to agree with him I think. :D :D

Nah, the voices go along with me us all the time; sometimes.

kerb

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2011, 10:59:35 AM »

My pipes aren't too loud.  You are just following too close  ;D

sinktip

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2011, 11:10:49 AM »

Loud pipes are like gun ownership. They come with a responsibility. If you can't keep from rapping your pipes at streetlights or shifting at the redline when in your local neighborhood, you shouldn't be allowed to own them.

If however you don't like riding behind me because of my pipes, I probably don't want to ride with you anyway.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 03:05:29 PM by sinktip »

Big Dog

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2011, 02:13:57 PM »

I have Rineharts on mine but after my amp and four speaker upgrade, my tunes are louder than my pipes, round and round we go, lol.
Randy D
Kristie D, Angel on my shoulders, October 10, 1973-April 16, 2009

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2011, 09:22:57 PM »

Having a flashing red beacon on top of your helmet would probably saves lives too.  Maybe while wearing a bright yellow neon slicker with reflective 3M tape also but too much of anything can be just that, too much. That goes for exhaust noise too.
Jesus is Lord

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2011, 09:39:58 PM »

Finally got my kid to take the obnocious very loud pipes(V&H Long Shots) off his RKC. Put on a set of BUB 7's and now he even says....they were to loud weren't they!!
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2011, 09:40:52 PM »

Had cars pull out in front of me when I was wearing a reflective vest (req when in military) and I've had people come over on me when I'm on my quiet bikes. Had numerous advanced rider courses. The combination of the pipes and the defensive driving has saved my ass many a time. I'm keeping mine loud.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

sglide4me

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2011, 10:13:14 PM »

When it comes to increasing safety because of visibility, sound, or actions I have to say that defensive riding is the best. Simply because there are only certain situations where sound may prevail in your safety, the rest is left to visibility and your actions. For instance don't you ever wonder how the hell anyone can get hit by a train if its not intentional? I don't think there is anything louder than a train horn when it comes by to warn that it has arrived. Yet many people are killed every year by trains. I do like to be heard on my bike, but I don't consider loud pipes an extension of my safety zone. 

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2011, 02:49:02 AM »

Your Fat Cat is the best-sounding pipe I've ever heard, man! But I'll bet I can take you with my Fullsac X-Pipe and 2" baffles, 54H cams, and my tune... you up for it?  :2vrolijk_21:

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

Dead_Reckoning

• Elite CVO Member
  • 03 SERK
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2011, 05:05:04 AM »

It's the residential neighborhoods that rose up in Maine.
The let's see if I can make the windoes rattle on the buildings on both sides of a narrow street. Let's see how loud we can make it riding under a highway bridge.
Consequently Maine passed a Loud Noise Law, pretty much directed and MCs. The law purposely did not define a Db Level. It also does state "Must Have Mufflers or something that has the appearance of a muffler. Straight Pipes with Baffles are not acceptable.The LEOs can make their own decision as to what is loud. In May this year Maine made a slight modification. If stopped and issued a sumons, you can now go to select inspection stations and take the DOT tests. If found to be 95 Dbs or less under the test conditions, then you are good to go. If not, you will pay a $135 fine.

This past summer Spyderman was behaving as sensible as one can regarding the Loud Noise Law. He was still questioned once or twice by the LEOs. In his case he has a CA plate and riding in ME, so no summons was issued or major problems encountered.

I do support one's right to make their own choices as long as they are willing to accept the consequences.

When I get ready to boot up my 03 SERK Power, I am considering this combination.
V&H Power Duals
http://www.vanceandhines.com/store/touring/headers/16759
coupled with
SuperTrapp Stout 4” Slip-Ons
http://www.supertrapp.com/product_sections/cat.asp?CatID=85
SuperTrapp Stouts are SAE-J2825 sound compliant - They will pass Maine's Loud Noise Law.
At 95.6 dB @ 2,000 rpm, or 2.4dB over stock 2010 Exhaust

DR
Government is best which governs least.

Power Commander 3 Tuner
Doherty Power PACC with K&N Air Filter
Screamin' Eagle® Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioner and High-Flow Oil Pump
Headwinds 2" Bullet Passing Lights 50w'
Progressive 440HD Shocks & Monotube Fork cartridges
Dual Bulb Halogen Headlamp Kit

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2011, 08:53:52 AM »

Loud pipes do save lives  ;)  and as far as being to LOUD , Its like ROCK -n- ROLL if its to LOUD your to old  :bananarock:  lol

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

MadCVORG

• '11 FLTRUSE
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2011, 06:01:13 AM »

Like I tell my buds:  I don't want you to hear me riding, I want you to FEEL it.  A drive-by on my olf Fat Boy sounds like a P-47 on a strafing run.  And my CVO sounds like an M-4 Sherman.....

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2011, 08:35:18 AM »

Like I tell my buds:  I don't want you to hear me riding, I want you to FEEL it.  A drive-by on my olf Fat Boy sounds like a P-47 on a strafing run.  And my CVO sounds like an M-4 Sherman.....

YUP and if you ride by me,, I hope you all pass Mr. CHP  :P

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2011, 08:50:13 AM »

Sounds like some more of that BS anonymous internet bravado so common these days.  Of course, if we assume you and many others really do think being that loud and obnoxious is cool, it's not hard to figure out why so many places are passing noise ordinances and targetting bikers.  You know, there is only a one letter difference between "cool" and "fool".  I'd like to personally thank all the "fools" for the added attention the rest of us get from law enforcement and legislators across this country.  It really takes a lot of brains to continually poke a sleeping bear with a stick.

Jerry

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2011, 09:03:45 AM »

Sounds like some more of that BS anonymous internet bravado so common these days.  Of course, if we assume you and many others really do think being that loud and obnoxious is cool, it's not hard to figure out why so many places are passing noise ordinances and targetting bikers.  You know, there is only a one letter difference between "cool" and "fool".  I'd like to personally thank all the "fools" for the added attention the rest of us get from law enforcement and legislators across this country.  It really takes a lot of brains to continually poke a sleeping bear with a stick.

Jerry

YOUR VERY WELCOME!
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2011, 09:22:50 AM »

V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2011, 11:33:02 AM »

You know guys, and gals, in all my years teaching MSF Basic and Advance Rider's courses, I never once heard that a cager had and accident with a bike because he/she didn't hear it.  Unless you are running side firing, or forward firing pipes (which I've only seen on Paul Jr's monster trike that he built), your sound is being directed behind you, and if a cager has their windows closed, stereo on, and talking on the cell phone (which about 90% of the cagers do now days), they aren't going to hear you regardles how loud your pipes are.  Todays cars are so much more isolated from road noises than they used to be.  Your best chance of survival?  Conspicuity....being seen!!!!  Stay out of their blind spot, light up the rear end and front end, don't take the side reflectors off!!  (I know that's heresy on this forum).  If you wear black or dark clothing, get the newer jackets with the reflective piping on it.  Be seen, give yourself a fighting chance out there.  65% of the accidents involving a cage and motorcyclist are because the driver of the cage, didn't SEE the bike, not hear it.  Loud pipes do not save lives, they just annoy people and the local LEs.   

And now back to your regularly schedule program.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2011, 12:59:16 PM »

....Loud pipes do not save lives, they just annoy people and the local LEs.   

And now back to your regularly schedule program.

That is so true. The ATV folks have it figured out with their slogan “Loud Pipes Lose Rights”. If the argument from the motorcycling community is that we are not safe with quiet pipes, we should be careful what we wish for. The problem has become a political “quality of life” issue for some, and when these folks get enough juice to make sure that we are all safe, we will wish that we were living on the edge.

Rio

• 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2011, 04:30:11 PM »

Hell, we could argue all sorts of crap that fall into this funnel.  Some people feel they need to give spelling lessons!  People that ride a Harley because it sounds like a Harley, its a nonsense bad boy culture  that is fueled by marketing geniuses!  I guess you can make that generalization about guns, abortion, helmet laws any any other topic of this "feel good" generation.

Bottom line...AZzzz H@loes screw it up for everyone else by giving the people that sit behind a desk and develop policies and laws to take away the right of those that have respect.

I ride a Harley, it will always sound like a Harley.  If it was about comfort, speed, gadgets, and quiet, I would have bought anything BUT a Harley. If it gets to the point where they take that away, it's time to find another feel good vice.

LOL
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2011, 04:53:21 PM »

Hell, we could argue all sorts of crap that fall into this funnel.  Some people feel they need to give spelling lessons!  People that ride a Harley because it sounds like a Harley, its a nonsense bad boy culture  that is fueled by marketing geniuses!  I guess you can make that generalization about guns, abortion, helmet laws any any other topic of this "feel good" generation.

Bottom line...AZzzz H@loes screw it up for everyone else by giving the people that sit behind a desk and develop policies and laws to take away the right of those that have respect.

I ride a Harley, it will always sound like a Harley.  If it was about comfort, speed, gadgets, and quiet, I would have bought anything BUT a Harley. If it gets to the point where they take that away, it's time to find another feel good vice.

LOL

I know people are going to get loud pipes because they want loud pipes.  Each to his own.  My point is, don't ride on the safety bandwagon as the reason for having loud pipes.  IMO, you don't have to have loud pipes for your Harley to "sound" like a harley.  Both of my bikes aren't loud, but they both "sound" like Harleys.  At least to me they do.  Loud pipes ridden responsibly, will be continue to be allowed. Unfortunately, there are those that have loud pipes that don't ride responsibly in the areas they should.  I.e., housing areas, downtown main street, etc, and they're the ones that are going to ruin it for everyone.  Louder pipes do not raise the testoterone level one bit, well maybe mentally.  The gentleman that said his loud pipes keep the druggies off the street, probably was more because of the LE cruiser following him, more than his loud pipe.  :P

« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 04:55:39 PM by RedDevil »

2012 FLHXSE3

T-Hawk

• Civil Engineering Tech, US Air Force (Ret)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • "Sheila" My Big Tank Lady
    • AK

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6
    • CVO2: 20?? FXDWG?
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2011, 05:33:23 PM »

As already said, there's Loud... and there's obnoxious... but I must add that there's another.  The only way to describe it is !?!?!

While riding the new bike along a stretch of 65mph highway next to one of the rivers South of Fairbanks, I couldn't help but hear another MC with what could only be described as LOUD pipes.  While checking mirrors and the road ahead I couldn't see anything that would be making such sounds.  Not having cared for the last song that was on the radio I had the volume turned down so I could enjoy the new sounds from the gutted stock pipes on the Ultra.  They sound pretty good, and know that I had to have just barely heard one of those lame commercials on the radio, because there shouldn't be any way that I just heard another bike.

As I was approaching a left curve, the sound from the other bike was just getting louder and louder...

Turns out, as I was rounding the curve, so was this old 'rat' bike...  I could hear him from more than a 1/4 mile away, coming at me from the direction I was heading.

This guy is either completely deaf, or has some of the best ear plugs money can buy.  It got so loud as he was passing me going the other direction that I thought I was riding one of those Goldwing things with all their whisper quiet exhaust systems.

It was only after we both got to the other side of the curve that I could again hear my own bike again.

Anyway, just my thoughts...

Ride Responsibly, on the Defense, and within your own limits and everything should be fine  8)
"Catching a Hornet inside your jacket at 65mph will more than double your vocabulary"
Tailgunner "Gunships"
Crusher True Duals
Barnett Carbon Fiber Performance Clutch
TTS Master Tune
CustomDynamics LED

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2011, 06:59:28 PM »

It's often fun (or not) discussing and debating what we like or don't like.  How it makes us "feel" and what it should be to sound like a Harley.  What's so often left out of that discussion (alluded to by DJ above) is that when taken too far for too long or done so in the wrong place at the wrong time it'll simply no longer be our decision.

The road system isn't built for motorcycles.  The road system, from surface streets to the Interstates, is there for the purposes of the mass transportation as that transport supports a national economy.  If there wasn't this large societal benefit for it society wouldn't build it.

As riders we are such a statistically small cohort of the system's users that suggesting the system be tailored in any way to our need is preposterous.  We're lucky we've got this great playground to particpate on.  But it's not built with us in mind.  Primary rules aren't tailored to our needs.  Even basic safety guidelines for the road system are designed for cages and trucks.  We are an afterthought.  And that's how it should be.

As such we do ourselves a service by doing what we can to just be left alone.  Left alone by legislators and bureaucrats as they craft administrative guidelines and legislation.  The only time they are going to do significant rule making with us in mind is when they've noticed something they don't like often enough for it to be psychologically, administratively or economically annoying.  That will never be good for us.

To be left alone to enjoy the system we can't be overt nuisances.  We can't be too stupid too often.  And we can't rub the nose of the general population in habits or behaviors we might think are fun just because we like them.  If you've got to hear the pipes open it up out in the country.  Don't think it's at all funny to set of a neighborhood's car alarms.  Don't wheelie down a crowded interstate or in a parking lot full of civilians. 

The attention you draw isn't just to your (own stupid) self, it's to all of us.  I enjoy using the road system as my playground without being any more bothered by guidelines than I already am.  All I ask of government is that it leaves me alone.  I don't want anything special from it just because I'm on a bike.  Just let me use the system and leave me alone.  Government won't do that if society's collective nose is too often rubbed in behaviors we can do "just because we can" or because a few like them.

hwyfever

• Full CVO Member
  • Stopped Living Vicariously

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2011, 07:22:00 PM »

Amen to that...  Could not have been said better. 
HD Hyd Cam Plate Conversion, Zippers Red Shift 575, SE Adjustable Push Rods
SE Race Tuner, Zippers Highflow Air Cleaner, S&S True Duals, Bub Stealth 7,
Progressive Monotube Cartridge Forks, Progressive 940 shocks

What I fear most when I die is my wife selling my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2011, 11:10:17 PM »

Sounds like some more of that BS anonymous internet bravado so common these days.  Of course, if we assume you and many others really do think being that loud and obnoxious is cool, it's not hard to figure out why so many places are passing noise ordinances and targetting bikers.  You know, there is only a one letter difference between "cool" and "fool".  I'd like to personally thank all the "fools" for the added attention the rest of us get from law enforcement and legislators across this country.  It really takes a lot of brains to continually poke a sleeping bear with a stick.

Jerry

Jerry, you said it   :2vrolijk_21:  These guys that must be heard and 'felt',, and i mean the obnoxious one's that think their P51 pilots, are doing nothing worse then getting the attention of our government legislatures to take away the rights we now enjoy..  It wont be long and we''ll all be riding sewing machines.. There are limits with our exhaust 'notes' and 95% of us here get it... I wish that wee 5% had half a brain to figure out what they're really doing to our riding sport  :(
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 11:27:40 PM by cvobiker »

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2011, 11:26:57 PM »

I ride a Harley, it will always sound like a Harley.  If it was about comfort, speed, gadgets, and quiet, I would have bought anything BUT a Harley. If it gets to the point where they take that away, it's time to find another feel good vice.

LOL

You make a good point.. it is the AZzzz H@loes with obnoxiously loud pipes giving he pople that sit behind a desk TO develop policies and laws to take away the rights MOST of us have the right to respect.   And you also make a good point by telling the 95% side that does care and does enjoy an acceptable pleasing Harley exhaust that you simply dont care about the Harley Brother and Sisters...    Franky,  i think its your time to find another vice..   but i dont think it could be too soon   >:(

Rio

• 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2011, 08:56:38 AM »

You make a good point.. it is the AZzzz H@loes with obnoxiously loud pipes giving he pople that sit behind a desk TO develop policies and laws to take away the rights MOST of us have the right to respect.   And you also make a good point by telling the 95% side that does care and does enjoy an acceptable pleasing Harley exhaust that you simply dont care about the Harley Brother and Sisters...    Franky,  i think its your time to find another vice..   but i dont think it could be too soon   >:(

Because i enjoy the site, I won't bother to waste too much time replying to your stupid comment and drag myself and the blog down to the level of tit for tat ignorance.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 10:24:54 AM by Rio »
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2011, 10:02:27 AM »

Twolanerider hit it right on the head, wish I had thought of that one myself. 

Back on the original thread for a second.  I do remember reading that they were considering putting some type of an audible device on the electric cars that would warn pedestrians when the car was making a turn.  That in and of itself is hysterical, especially considering the ground swell build-up against the pipes. 

grayghost731

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2011, 12:27:47 AM »

Because i enjoy the site, I won't bother to waste too much time replying to your stupid comment and drag myself and the blog down to the level of tit for tat ignorance.

way to take the high rode RIO  :2vrolijk_21: some of these guys are just cyber bullies they like to call people names and try to justify there ANAL COMMENTS  >:(  I just listen and let them PREACH  :huepfenlol2: Bottom line is that some guys like LOUD PIPES and some guys dont  :nixweiss:

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2011, 08:19:51 AM »

Rio. .. Thanks,,  I appreciate your somewhat 'level head'    :2vrolijk_21:

McBolt

• Grandson, first time on a bike. Yea he is hooked
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2011, 12:24:52 PM »

1998 US Treaty with the UN.  Global Harmonization of Motorized Vehicles based on European Standards.  California's SB435.  Massachusetts trying to get a bill passed to make it illegal to sell loud pipes.  Ken Feith of the EPA Air and Radiation department going after motocycle exhaust manufacturers; threatening them with a $10,000 fine per pipe.  Yes loud pipes DO save loud.  How loud is too loud?  That is the argument.  The volume is directly related to the throttle.  Me I like em louder than stock but not ear splitting.  Yes, some bark their pipes just to make noise.  To me that is like shooting your gun up in the air just to hear it.  Barking the pipes just to make noise is as silly as laying on the horn all of the time.

If you like loud pipes...better wake up and see what is going on in your backyard.  By the way hand held decibel meters are against Federal Guidelines.  Even though states like Maine have passed laws allowing this, Fed trumps state, state trumps county and so on.
Motorcyclist Rights Activist
Navy Photographer Vietnam ERA
American Legion Rider

Rio

• 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2011, 12:58:43 PM »

Ann Landers:  For those affixited to the sound of loud motorcycle exhausts, rather than be a nuisance to the local neighborhoods and draw attention to loud motorcylists other than yourself.  Go find a country road, stay on that road until you find a bridge, sit under that bridge and rev your motorcycle up until your ear drums burst......then go back to the local communities until you need another fix :drink:
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

fresh oil and pipes

• Enjoying Life More Than Ever!!!!!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • RedNecks, White Socks & Blue Ribbon Beer

• CVO1: One of the Fast Green Ones
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2011, 07:32:34 PM »

Ok who was the first one to jack this thread?
"Let's Roll" Life is Short, Choose your Battles Wisely "Let's Roll"

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2011, 07:34:26 PM »

Ok who was the first one to jack this thread?

I admit it.  It was Firedood.

fresh oil and pipes

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2011, 08:10:54 PM »

I admit it.  It was Firedood.

That is what I thought.

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2011, 08:05:12 AM »

Hell, we could argue all sorts of crap that fall into this funnel.  Some people feel they need to give spelling lessons!  People that ride a Harley because it sounds like a Harley, its a nonsense bad boy culture  that is fueled by marketing geniuses!  I guess you can make that generalization about guns, abortion, helmet laws any any other topic of this "feel good" generation.

LOL

Again X2 :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

kerb

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2011, 01:35:56 PM »

My take on it is this:

If I ever get to the point where I have the time and energy to worry about the loudness of someone else's pipes,  hopefully one of my "brothers or sisters" will do me a favor and put me out of my misery. 

Seriously.  I don't believe I've ever heard of anyone being harmed by loud pipes.  Some people just aren't happy unless they have something to complain about.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2011, 02:00:08 PM »

My take on it is this:

If I ever get to the point where I have the time and energy to worry about the loudness of someone else's pipes,  hopefully one of my "brothers or sisters" will do me a favor and put me out of my misery. 

Seriously.  I don't believe I've ever heard of anyone being harmed by loud pipes.  Some people just aren't happy unless they have something to complain about.

Actually there is more and more "harm" extended every time new legislation (at any level) targets something we do as riders.  Maine's more aggressive restrictions, punishing enforcement at old rally venues or cities and towns all over tightening noise limits all "harm" riders by limiting their ability to easily transit the system; to be able to ride and be left alone.  Nearly all such "harm" originates as a reaction to things we do as riders.

fresh oil and pipes

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2011, 08:07:44 PM »

Actually the true Harley sound is not all that loud the increase in noise level is when non stock exhaust is added to the equation so if you want it to sound like a Harley leave the exhaust stock. Beat a speeding ticket because of stock exhaust once. Just sayin. Now back to the orginal post of this thread.

Wow aren't those electric/alternate fuel cars really quiet. So quiet some think that the government should require some type of audio warning system installed on them so they can be heard coming down the road maybe even go so far as to require eveyone to operate a motor vehicle with the windows open and sound (stero) systems turned off. :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2011, 09:08:03 PM »

I want mine just loud enough where I don't hear the 110 valvetrain noise! :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: ::)

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2011, 09:27:50 AM »

Just put a D&D Borzilla on Ol' Maudie.  Guess the RINEHART's don't rule anymore.  My thoughts are--if you hear me before you see me, that has to be good.  ;) Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

kerb

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2011, 10:28:26 AM »

I want mine just loud enough where I don't hear the 110 valvetrain noise! :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: ::)

I don't think they make a pipe loud enough for that.  Good luck on your quest though.

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2011, 07:06:50 PM »

Just put a D&D Borzilla on Ol' Maudie.  Guess the RINEHART's don't rule anymore.  My thoughts are--if you hear me before you see me, that has to be good.  ;) Later--HUBBARD

Hub, as fast as you get Ol' Maudie going...is that possible? :D ;D :huepfenlol2: :bananarock:

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
Re: Re: Loud Pipes
« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2011, 10:18:07 PM »

Love the D&D Boarzilla and would have used on my bike, but fat cat with performance baffle produced better numbers.  I think the Boarzilla is too much pipe for a 120 JMHO.  One pipe or two out the back?
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

2010 FLHX

« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2011, 04:32:09 PM »

Jeez! I must have an opinion on this topic . . . If you want loud pipes, go with it. Be prepared to suffer the disdain of those who thing you're puerile and self-absorbed. Don't try to argue that they're a "safety device."

We can probably argue that loud pipes are sufficiently distracting that other drivers may not pay attention to safety because they're paying attention to the "really loud bike" and what it might do next. The "safety argument" can be argued either way.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2011, 07:05:49 PM »

Jeez! I must have an opinion on this topic . . . If you want loud pipes, go with it. Be prepared to suffer the disdain of those who thing you're puerile and self-absorbed. Don't try to argue that they're a "safety device."

We can probably argue that loud pipes are sufficiently distracting that other drivers may not pay attention to safety because they're paying attention to the "really loud bike" and what it might do next. The "safety argument" can be argued either way.

So what are you trying to say anyway?   :nixweiss: :drink: :confused5:

2012 FLHXSE3

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2011, 07:59:01 PM »

So what are you trying to say anyway?   :nixweiss: :drink: :confused5:

I couldn't figure out either..  :nixweiss:   Thought i would try two shots of Tequila, Blanco Silver mind you  :drink:, to see if a difernt sate of mind would help... nope still no figure   :nixweiss:  but the Blanco is sure making me feel good  :P  now i dont care  :confused5:
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 08:01:07 PM by cvobiker »

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2011, 08:03:16 PM »

I couldn't figure out either..  :nixweiss:   Thought i would try two shots of Tequila, Blanco Silver mind you  :drink:, to see if a difernt sate of mind would help... nope still no figure   :nixweiss:  but the Blanco is sure making me feel good  :P  now i dont care  :confused5:

Yeah buddy, I'm with ya there,only I prefer Patron Silver.   :2vrolijk_21: :drink:

« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 08:04:59 PM by RedDevil »

2012 FLHXSE3

2010 FLHX

« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2011, 04:19:49 AM »

Loud pipes are not a safety device.

PASN YU

• Ride Hard
  • Full CVO Member

« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2011, 09:19:59 AM »

I beg to differ. Anything you can do to put the cagers on notice whether it be brighter/more LED lights, louder horns and, drum roll please, louder pipes is a safety device. I'm not saying that the only purpose for loud pipes is safety. It's also personal preference about how you like your Harley to sound or perform. It's not about measuring or being the internet bada$$ or any of the other derogatory terms used by others here to describe people with loud pipes. If your type of pipe that you like the sound of just happens to be loud then it's your bike, do what you want with it. But do what you want responsibly. Don't shove it in other peoples faces.  :2vrolijk_21:
Trust, but verify.

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2011, 10:00:07 AM »

I beg to differ. Anything you can do to put the cagers on notice whether it be brighter/more LED lights, louder horns and, drum roll please, louder pipes is a safety device. I'm not saying that the only purpose for loud pipes is safety. It's also personal preference about how you like your Harley to sound or perform. It's not about measuring or being the internet bada$$ or any of the other derogatory terms used by others here to describe people with loud pipes. If your type of pipe that you like the sound of just happens to be loud then it's your bike, do what you want with it. But do what you want responsibly. Don't shove it in other peoples faces.  :2vrolijk_21:

I agree with you 100%, I drive a 18 wheeler for a living and there has been more times than i can count that i have heard a bike before i see it, even with all the mirrors thats on a truck.  :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2011, 10:06:17 AM »

Yeah buddy, I'm with ya there,only I prefer Patron Silver.   :2vrolijk_21: :drink:

They have a 12 step program to help you guys. :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #71 on: December 05, 2011, 12:15:55 AM »

Yep.  ;) 
Step 1:  fill shot glass with your favorite
Step 2:  down said shot glass

Repeat Steps 1 and 2 six more times.   :drink:

2012 FLHXSE3

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #72 on: December 05, 2011, 12:21:05 AM »

Yep.  ;) 
Step 1:  fill shot glass with your favorite
Step 2:  down said shot glass

Repeat Steps 1 and 2 six more times.   :drink:

Hey Charlie, what happens if your numbers start not working right anymore after steps eight or nine :nixweiss: ?

2010 FLHX

« Reply #73 on: December 05, 2011, 12:24:51 AM »

Let's do this a couple more times . . .

Not a "dedicated" safety device. Loud pipes may make your presence more apparent, but to rely upon loud pipes for some sort of putative safety margin is specious at best.

Let me concede here too that on more than several occasions I've turned my head to check clearance while passing or changing lanes. I get the deep, fat, rich reverberation of my engine in my ears, and I say to myself, "That's the sound I paid for!"

-- but it's not "safety equipment."

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #74 on: December 05, 2011, 12:59:09 AM »

Hey Charlie, what happens if your numbers start not working right anymore after steps eight or nine :nixweiss: ?

Just keep practicing until you get it right!!  Sooner or later, you won't care anymore anyway.   :huepfenlol2: :drink:

2012 FLHXSE3

2010 FLHX

« Reply #75 on: December 05, 2011, 02:04:19 AM »

Just keep practicing until you get it right!!  Sooner or later, you won't care anymore anyway.   :huepfenlol2: :drink:

I remember drinking lots of cheap (green) beer and then getting into a "two-step" program.

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #76 on: December 05, 2011, 08:26:25 AM »

Is 10 more shots??    :P

kerb

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #77 on: December 05, 2011, 02:09:26 PM »

I'm puerile and self absorbed enough not to give a crap whether the nosy neighbor lady thinks I'm puerile and self absorbed.  :bananarock:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #78 on: December 05, 2011, 02:42:03 PM »

Be prepared to suffer the disdain of those who thing you're puerile and self-absorbed.

So what are you trying to say anyway?   :nixweiss: :drink: :confused5:

Charlie, if that's not a Freudian and likely Oedipal slip nothing is.  Gratuitous childish self absorbed interest in his "thing."  There are some things a guy just doesn't need to share.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #79 on: December 05, 2011, 04:46:16 PM »

Charlie, if that's not a Freudian and likely Oedipal slip nothing is.  Gratuitous childish self absorbed interest in his "thing."  There are some things a guy just doesn't need to share.

Ummmm, yeah, what you said.  I think.   ??? 

2012 FLHXSE3

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #80 on: December 05, 2011, 05:32:17 PM »

Get a bigger glass...then you don't have to count any longer.   ;)
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #81 on: December 05, 2011, 07:39:43 PM »

Get a bigger glass...then you don't have to count any longer.   ;)

That's a he'll of an idea.   Hmmmmm, wonder if that would work with moderators?    One or two really big ones instead of.......   Oh wait, that wouldn't work.     :huepfenlol2:

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #82 on: December 06, 2011, 12:08:02 PM »

Hub, as fast as you get Ol' Maudie going...is that possible? :D ;D :huepfenlol2: :bananarock:

Oh, yeah!  It is comical to see their mouth drop open when I go by 'em!  Merry Christmas!  Later--HUBBARD 
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

Re: Re: Loud Pipes
« Reply #83 on: December 06, 2011, 12:18:08 PM »

Love the D&D Boarzilla and would have used on my bike, but fat cat with performance baffle produced better numbers.  I think the Boarzilla is too much pipe for a 120 JMHO.  One pipe or two out the back?

Not so in my case, Pete.  It will help on the WFO, top end speed.  I can feel the difference from about 4500 to 6000 RPM's, as opposed to the RINEHART's.  The RINEHART's sure looked good, though.  The "Borzilla" is startin' to grow on me.  Gotta' get a Chrome Sprocket Cover.  Went with the single pipe.  Couldn't stand the thought of somethin' fake on Ol' Maudie.  ;) Later--HUBBARD 

Willie D

• Senior CVO Member
  • Live Life at Full Throttle !

• CVO1: FLSTSE3
    • CVO2: FLHRSEI
    • CVO3: FXDWG2
« Reply #84 on: December 06, 2011, 02:51:54 PM »

I guess loud is all relative to how deaf you are...

:tekst-toppie: :2vrolijk_20: :biggthumpup:
'Keep your Knees in the Breeze'
01 FXDWG- 11,000 + sold
02 FLHRSEI-66k + traded
New 06 FLTRI - Sold
08 XL1200 N - sold
2010 FLSTFB - Trade
2012 FLSTSE3 - Satin Pewter - 'Brush Gold'
2015 BMW F700GS
2017 Indian Chieftain Dark Horse  TS 111

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

« Reply #85 on: December 06, 2011, 08:52:40 PM »

Not so in my case, Pete.  It will help on the WFO, top end speed.  I can feel the difference from about 4500 to 6000 RPM's, as opposed to the RINEHART's.  The RINEHART's sure looked good, though.  The "Borzilla" is startin' to grow on me.  Gotta' get a Chrome Sprocket Cover.  Went with the single pipe.  Couldn't stand the thought of somethin' fake on Ol' Maudie.  ;) Later--HUBBARD

The Boarzilla kicks in about 300 rpm more than the fat cat and that will help you at WFO.  Forgot you are not the cruising type!  Don't forget the chrome belt guard too.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #86 on: December 07, 2011, 02:13:23 AM »

Gotta' get a Chrome Sprocket Cover.  Went with the single pipe. 

Don't forget the chrome belt guard too.

Forget the fake cover Carl Lee - go right for the chrome sprocket & don't forget the belt cover. Looks real good with the single pipe.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #87 on: December 07, 2011, 04:59:05 PM »

Forget the fake cover Carl Lee - go right for the chrome sprocket & don't forget the belt cover. Looks real good with the single pipe.

I thought of that soon as I posted it.  Got to have the "real" thing.  :2vrolijk_21: She's got the belt guard.  Merry Christmas!  8) Later--HUBBARD

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #88 on: December 07, 2011, 05:03:41 PM »

The Boarzilla kicks in about 300 rpm more than the fat cat and that will help you at WFO.  Forgot you are not the cruising type!  Don't forget the chrome belt guard too.

Indeed.  That little bit of boost will bust Harry's a$$ in Daytona this Spring.  Can't wait to be in Florida.  3" of snow here, and coming strong.  ??? Later--HUBBARD 

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

« Reply #89 on: December 07, 2011, 08:34:54 PM »

Indeed.  Can't wait to be in Florida.

You and me both!
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]

Page created in 0.431 seconds with 21 queries.