Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Diamond Cutting Engine  (Read 6125 times)

backroad Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Krypto
Re: Diamond Cutting Engine
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2011, 10:44:32 PM »

I had it done on my 05 FLHTCU.  I've lost blood a few times cleaning and doing maintenance.

For the extra 100.00, I'd probably look into the show cut version next time.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2011, 11:01:36 PM »

I had it done on my 05 FLHTCU.  I've lost blood a few times cleaning and doing maintenance.

For the extra 100.00, I'd probably look into the show cut version next time.

Couldn't agree more.  If one is going to all that trouble and expense and shipping all the parts anyway there's no reason not to do all they can for such a small difference in price.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2011, 02:17:10 AM »

I know this:  twolanes version on his bike is cooler than chit.  If I was in a situation to have the time to have the Diamond Cut done, I'd do it, based on the looks of his.  As he stated previously, it looks better with a more contrrasting background, but the show cut is good, no matter what.

Or, I would find an extra set of jugs, have them done, and then pass it on.   :2vrolijk_21:  I had all this chit planned at one time or the other. Pretty stuff...look at the shiney bright object....
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

TriJetDoc

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2011, 11:20:23 PM »

Had it done to my 06 Heritage at time of purchase while dealer installed 96in kit with HTCC heads.  Sending the cyl and heads out took about 4 week turnaround.  Had inner cam bearing failure and HD honored the warranty.
   20k mi later blew the upper rings and destryed the heads and cyl. Reused my take off stock cyl and heads to rebuild (another discussion) and liked the look enough that I sent them out again for the standard cut.  Was a 10 week turn around and they damaged a cyl claiming was damaged in shipping but would not file a damage claim with the shipper so I ended up having to buy another cyl.  When I inquired about the turnaround time they said they went to shows and such so they shut down during that time.  They didn't tell me that when I taked to them two days before I shipped the parts and they quoted 3-4 week turnaround.  They hold the patent and have threaten to sue other small shops that was doing their own diamond cut.  Can do some serches on other groups and get the details.  As far as the claim that the engine runs cooler is correct in theroy but in the real world I don't think it does much.  The cost to me was much more than $100 it was more like $100 per piece + shipping and would have been more for the show cut.  The biggest draw back is if you have to replace a head or cyl you will have to get that one to match. 
  60k miles and 5yrs later I would not do it agian unless I was going to show the bike and even then would have to think about it real hard.

gpopvet

• Elite CVO Member
  • 74 and still riding hard.
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Trike
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2011, 06:34:34 PM »

Update bike is at Brian's Harley Davidson getting motor diamond cut, Thanks for all the help and  advice.
2021 CVO Trike

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2011, 06:58:14 PM »

Update bike is at Brian's Harley Davidson getting motor diamond cut, Thanks for all the help and  advice.

Hope the project goes swimmingly and godspeed on a quick turnaround.  Doing it over winter will, hopefully, help.

I had such a bad taste after my dealings with the company that I refused to use them again.  If I really wanted that look I'd find another shop doing the work quietly.  Diamond Head's customer service was that unpleasant and I hate the arrogant way they attempt to enforce what seems (to me) an asinine excuse for patent rights within the industry.  That they deny us choice in the process is also unsatisfactory.

In a current project I did a reverse effort to the edge cut engine with the red cylinders and heads that had posted a pic of previously.  Used the new project's standard silver jugs and heads and put color around them.  It's still a good look that I quite like.  It might not be quite as striking as the edge cutting.  But it's ok.

Also, don't let the wife see the powder coated frame.  If she loved the colored and cut engine bits you might be out a lot more time and money if she sees that ??? .
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 22 queries.