Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Softail Convertible  (Read 7276 times)

13Breakout

Softail Convertible
« on: November 23, 2011, 09:45:19 PM »

Greetings from Down Under Australia. I just ordered my new 2012 Softail Convertible which should hopefully arrive in January. One question please, I keep reading reviews stating that the seat height is too low and the bike scrapes very easily. Is this a major concern or is it the only negative they can find?

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
Re: Softail Convertible
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 10:37:31 PM »

Welcome aboard from Minnesota! Glad you've joined the fun. Congrats on the new scoot!

FADBOY

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 03:00:51 AM »

Im 6ft 1" and 17 stone seat height is no problem & Ive done 6000 miles now and it's only scraped once but had the front fork oil changed on the first service to the stiffer screemin eagle oil, so don't worry about it.

13Breakout

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 04:40:19 AM »

Im 6ft 1" and 17 stone seat height is no problem & Ive done 6000 miles now and it's only scraped once but had the front fork oil changed on the first service to the stiffer screemin eagle oil, so don't worry about it.

Thanks for the feedback, you've answered my concerns.

Cheers!

13Breakout

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 04:42:33 AM »

Welcome aboard from Minnesota! Glad you've joined the fun. Congrats on the new scoot!

Thanks mate, you're very kind!

n2mycvo

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 04:32:20 PM »

Congrats and welcome to the ConV club!  :cucumber:I love my convertible and hope you will as well.  Negatives, so far none.

13Breakout

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 05:08:52 PM »

Congrats and welcome to the ConV club!  :cucumber:I love my convertible and hope you will as well.  Negatives, so far none.
Sounds great, thanks. I hope the negatives stay away. Enjoy!

Craigisdad

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 flstse2
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 08:13:37 PM »

At 5'10", I love the low seat height. 2500 miles so far, and haven't drug anything yet. I love this bike, rides and handles very well, and even with me and my wife on board, still has plenty of power and torque! I'm sure you will enjoy it very much, congrats and ride safe!!!
Craig

13Breakout

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 09:49:31 PM »

At 5'10", I love the low seat height. 2500 miles so far, and haven't drug anything yet. I love this bike, rides and handles very well, and even with me and my wife on board, still has plenty of power and torque! I'm sure you will enjoy it very much, congrats and ride safe!!!

Great news, thanks for the feedback. Enjoy!

peterskr

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 10:56:46 AM »

Welcome to the forum. I am 5'10" and I like the low seat height, it is quite a bit lower than my 2009 Night Train that I had before. However i had to adjust my riding when I got the convertible. I never ever drug anything on my Train. When i first got the convertible I drug the driver floorboards every time I rode it. I even drug the floorboard on the test drive and that was far from aggressive riding. I realize that I lean more than many people in curves, turns etc but it is still very very easy to lean it over far enough to drag the floorboards. I have adjusted my riding and it does not happen nearly as often, but I still drag it occasionally. I still love the convertible though.

13Breakout

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2011, 04:55:28 PM »

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, we don't get the chance to test ride the Convertible in Australia as there just isn't enough of them. In fact, they are sold before they arrive. Most Dealers will tell you that the Fatboy Lo is the closest comparison. Hopefully that's true as I've tried the Fatboy Lo and found it great fun to ride. Hopefully I'll feel the same about the Convertible. Cheers!

Willie D

• Senior CVO Member
  • Live Life at Full Throttle !

• CVO1: FLSTSE3
    • CVO2: FLHRSEI
    • CVO3: FXDWG2
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2011, 01:39:52 PM »

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, we don't get the chance to test ride the Convertible in Australia as there just isn't enough of them. In fact, they are sold before they arrive. Most Dealers will tell you that the Fatboy Lo is the closest comparison. Hopefully that's true as I've tried the Fatboy Lo and found it great fun to ride. Hopefully I'll feel the same about the Convertible. Cheers!

I own a 2010 LoBoy and it is easy to drag the boards, but if you ain't draggin' a few times, you ain't have any fun.

JMHO
'Keep your Knees in the Breeze'
01 FXDWG- 11,000 + sold
02 FLHRSEI-66k + traded
New 06 FLTRI - Sold
08 XL1200 N - sold
2010 FLSTFB - Trade
2012 FLSTSE3 - Satin Pewter - 'Brush Gold'
2015 BMW F700GS
2017 Indian Chieftain Dark Horse  TS 111

13Breakout

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2011, 04:55:47 PM »

Great looking bike! Thanks for the feedback.

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2011, 08:01:55 PM »

my boards scraped while i was on the dragon this past summer iam 5 '10   fits me well
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2011, 07:08:34 AM »

Scrape mine all the time, I consider these to be wear items, lol.

Do yourself a favor, loosen the floor boards up just enough so theey will easily pivot. This will allow them to pivot when scraping instead of digging in which could cause the bike to high side.
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

millmutt

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG
    • CVO2: 2007 FXDSE
    • CVO3: 2011 FLSTSE2
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2011, 10:43:58 AM »

My floorboards scrape quite often. I installed Progressive Suspension shocks which brought it up a bit but they still
scrape more than I like. I think any FL Softail with boards will scrape, just the nature of the beast. I scrape my Electra Glide now and then but no where as often as the Convertible. I had owned 2 FX Softails with forward controls and it was very rare to touch anything.
I'm going to change to forward controls on the Convertible.

Millmutt

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2011, 01:08:51 PM »

My wife has the same problem with her Heritage. I tell her to slow down and she comes back with an explanation about a periodic temporary loss of muscular coordination….I don’t know what that means.  :smilie_staub:

I do know that the finish on the pavement in Arkansas will clearance these things pretty quick.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 21 queries.